cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating a SIM card for a promotional subscription

BrownBear
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would like to "grab" a promotion that is on right now. I have a SIM card but no referral code. Do I need a referral code?

So my main question is .... since I don't have a phone right yet, can I activate the SIM only with the promotional plan? Will I have any issues with completing my "account" with out being able to receive a two factor "TEXT"?

Any steps to follow?

Thanks 

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 8.38.52 AM.png

32 REPLIES 32

@Handy1 

OP's reply

@BrownBear   
Are you trying to activate the $65 plan?  YES or the $50 Quebec Plan how long more you need to wait for a phone?  10 days 

$50 Quebec plan is on his consideration

@softech @BrownBear  this is not a Quebec plan . No work around needed . That would be the 40GB $50 CAN/US plan that only in Quebec 

@BrownBear  Quebec cusomters with a Quebec linked credit card is what is needed

However, another member tested that it can be done with a Prepaid Visa, check the full steps here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Plans-by-Province/m-p/1002364/highlight/t...

A fellow customer did this recently but you set the region to Quebec, get a visa gift card and use a Quebec postal code (unless you have a card with a Quebec billing address) and probably get a Quebec number.

BrownBear

What is the work around?

I know I have to take a Quebec number. 

@BrownBear you are in Quebec to get this Quebec plan?  If you are not, you will need to do some workarounds to get this deal 

There is no firm date for the end of that .  But $50 plan is not showing as a promotion plan.  But of course, PM has been changing plans a lot lately, so, the whole set can plans can be changed overnight

How long more you have to wait for your phone?

dwh1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech wrote:

agian, if you are worry, best to borrow a phone from your friend and complete the activation first before the promotion gone

This is good advice. I think it makes a lot of sense to borrow a phone and make sure everything is working early, so that you can have confidence that everything is working.  Just make sure you have an envelope or bag sitting around to put the teeny tiny SIM card in after you're done activating it, so that you don't lose it before you get your new phone.

BrownBear

@softech wrote:

@BrownBear   YES, SMS is text.  

They would charge you and just uncomplete at the sms stage.  You can leave it till you have the phone OK

Are you trying to activate the $65 plan?  YES or the $50 Quebec Plan how long more you need to wait for a phone?  10 days 

From what we know, the $65 promotion does not have an end date yet.  Of course, I am just customer and cannot guarantee how long it will run.  So, if you are worry about the deal going away, can you borrow a phone from a friend to complete the activation ? good idea but I am very independent. 

@BrownBear   an honest, some people sim does not provisioned properly so, they won't receive the 2FA text at that step, it is prefectly ok to then go back to support for help at hat step.

So, you don't have a phone to complete that step until later, it is ok, too

agian, if you are worry, best to borrow a phone from your friend and complete the activation first before the promotion gone

BrownBear

@Handy1 

Brown bear needs to sync what is being said....is hungry. Is confused. 

IMG_3210.jpg

@BrownBear   YES, SMS is text.  

They would charge you and just uncomplete at the sms stage.  You can leave it till you have the phone 

Are you trying to activate the $65 plan?  how long more you need to wait for a phone?  

From what we know, the $65 promotion does not have an end date yet.  Of course, I am just customer and cannot guarantee how long it will run.  So, if you are worry about the deal going away, can you borrow a phone from a friend to complete the activation ?

Please take note of the wording "in order to get access to your account". The sim and service will be activated. After that then you need to do the 2fa to be able to log in to the account. There might even be workarounds to not use sms but I suggest just wait until you put the sim in a phone and then you can carry on.

BrownBear

@softech wrote:

@BrownBear   yes, it works

E_ResendCode_Watermarked.jpg

Yes, I have seen that posted here. 

May be I am overly concerned and possibly PM website is not always fully informative. But what is says below is SMS....and SMS is a text, correct??

• Finish SMS 2 Factor Authentication (2FA): In order to get access to your account you’ll need to complete the SMS 2FA. Learn more here.  <== SEE HERE...IT SAYS "SMS" 2FA - THIS IS MY CONCERN. 

@BrownBear  You can send code to email after you have set up ever safe ID and granted the number(sim) and device full access 

@BrownBear   yes, it works

E_ResendCode_Watermarked.jpg

@BrownBear  My thumbs go faster then my brain at times sorry 

BrownBear

So I have read on the PM website that you can "resend" the code to your email address...would that work (for sure?) to complete your account vs getting the code on a phone????

BrownBear

@Handy1 wrote:

@BrownBear  Yes I did exactly what you’re doing in June 13 activated 2 SIM cards in fear the promo was ending the next day on the June 14 . They worked right then aND? there . But I had to sign in the filming? Friday with them to grant full access to port numbers into the two accounts I created 2 days earlier 

Are you too rushed to win a contest or something????? What is filming????

@BrownBear wrote:

If I activate today like you say, there may be days before the SIM is installed into a phone. Have any of you great community members gone through the new process???

@BrownBear  yes, this is absolutely ok to activate without putting the sim in the phone.

And when you have the phone, if any issue, we can still help, or Support can certainly fix it on the backend.

So, no worry

@BrownBear  Meaning once’s cards are activated . Next time you go to sign into my account it will want to send a code to your phone to grant it full access to signing into the website or app and when you do it there will be a box that says this is a trusted device you wanna tap that at same time .and once logged in your account .your good  to go and can make account changes along the way . Like changing number , changing plan .or updating credit card . 

BrownBear

@Handy1 wrote:

@BrownBear  Yes you can use the SIM card as soon as it’s activated . But you will need to verify with codes for full access with the SIM card (<== I don't understand that last comment, can you clarify?) if you want to log into you account ever to make changes or update credit card info . Change number etc 

@BrownBear  Yes I did exactly what you’re doing in June 13 activated 2 SIM cards in fear the promo was ending the next day on the June 14 . They worked right then a there . But I had to sign in with them  Friday to grant full access to port numbers into the two accounts I created 2 days earlier 

BrownBear

If I activate today like you say, there may be days before the SIM is installed into a phone. Have any of you great community members gone through the new process???

@BrownBear  Yes you can use the SIM card as soon as it’s activated . But you will need to verify with codes for full access with the SIM card if you want to log into you account ever to make changes or update credit card info . Change number etc 

Excellent finding and reading. But note it's all about AFTER activation as Handy1 indicated.

BrownBear

No, cannot use an Esim. 

BrownBear
What You Should Do After Setting Up Your Subscription

After subscribing you are all set to start using your mobile service immediately. Please note there are a few steps we recommend you take to ensure a seamless experience and to get the most out of your Public Mobile subscription.

1. Finish Setting Up Your Account

To make sure you have access to all your Public Mobile services we recommend you:

• Finish SMS 2 Factor Authentication (2FA): In order to get access to your account you’ll need to complete the SMS 2FA. Learn more here.  <== SEE HERE...IT SAYS "SMS" 2FA - THIS IS MY CONCERN. 
  • Create a Community nickname here: The Community is where you can interact with other Public Mobile customers to ask questions and get answers. This is also where our Customer Support Agents will reach out to you after you submit a ticket. Learn more about contacting a CSA here.
  • Register for Public Points: In order to start collecting points which you can redeem for credits, prizes and more you’ll need to accept the terms and conditions here. Learn more about Public Points here.
2. Device Setup Check

To ensure your device is set up correctly once you've subscribed, we encourage you take the following steps:

• Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visiting https://apn-canada.gishan.net/. Select the brand and model of your phone, scroll down the page and then select Public Mobile. After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.
    • For details on how to do this on an iPhone click here.
    • For details on how to do this on an Android click here.
  • Make sure that data is enabled on your phone.
  • Turn your phone off and then back on. This quick refresh will help your phone deal with all the changes that have taken place.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@BrownBear  If you have SIM card you can activate it in the plan you choose until you have a phone to put the SIM Card in . Once you do you will eventually need to log in to your my account with the new number you get  when activating the SIM card to give it full access 

You asked about a referral code. I sent you one in private message. I mis-read that you already had a sim. If you go through and finish and pay then it's activated and you have the promo.

BrownBear

@dust2dust wrote:

Sent. - SENT WHAT?

Adding - No, you need the sim number. Can your phone use esim? - I SAID I HAVE A SIM ... AND I CAN SEE THE SIM NUMBER ON IT, BUT THE WEB SITE SAYS AFTER ACTIVATION THAT YOU NEED TO COMPLETE YOUR ACCOUNT. I ASSUME THEN I MIGHT BE NEEDING THE CODE SENT TO ME BY TWO FACTOR AND I WON'T HAVE A PHONE TO RECEIVE THE TEXT. 

Need Help? Let's chat.