cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activate eSIM and Manage Plans Without the App

hi_winter
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

Since I'm not from Canada, my App Store is limited to apps available in Europe, and the Public Mobile app is not available there.

Before subscribing to a plan, I wanted to ask: Is it possible to activate an eSIM and manage subscriptions entirely through a browser, without needing the dedicated app?

Thanks for your help!

4 REPLIES 4

hi @hi_winter 

you need to use the app to subscribe for sure, especially you are subscribing esim

the app will try to install the esim for you, but if you are having a friend to help you subscribe, your friend has to stop the app from automatically install the esim for your

PM will still send out a Welcome email with the esim QR code. You can then scan the QR code to install the esim

hi_winter
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi @hTideGnow,

Thanks for the quick response.

Since I could get started with an eSIM, I’d prefer this option if possible.

So, if I understand you correctly, the only workaround is this trick, and the app is always required at some point?
I noticed on my iPhone that you can add an eSIM using a QR code. Can’t I just use the code you mentioned after subscribing to a plan and scan it directly?

eddieO
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@hi_winter once your account is active you can manage your account through the website, so you won't need the app afterwards. To active your account you're supposed to do it through the app but you can contact a CS agent, tell them you need help activating, they should be able to do it for you. When you are ready you will need to open a ticket through the Chatbot:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html
(and then type: Customer Support Agent)

Or, if you are having trouble with the Chatbot try sending a private message to: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437
(note: you will need to be logged into your Community account for this link to work)

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @hi_winter 

better to use physical sim in your case

in your case, you need to ask a friend to help to setup , ask your friend to download PM app and setup for you

you can still activate esim on your friend's phone, but you have to stop right before the moment the app try to install esim, which is tricky.  Once stopped at the correct moment, you can then use the QR code from the Welcome email to install the esim on your phone

but for sure, it is easier to activate on physical sim 

Need Help? Let's chat.