cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T not letting me complete calls in USA

JohnMV1970
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had to manually switch to T-Mobile. Has anyone else experienced the same?

15 REPLIES 15

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JohnMV1970 

Looking at the Public Mobile VoLTE compatibility list it doesn’t look like the S20 is on it:

https://publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/volte

Please try manually connecting to T-Mobile and then changing your voice and data settings to 2G GSM. 

JohnMV1970

I have a Samsung Galaxy S20

JohnMV1970

I use a Samsung S20 (with 5G). AT&T data seems to work bit calls don't go through. I don't know much about VoLTE, but I would think the S20 would be compatible.

@softech I've had 5G AT&T work once, but it's hit and miss. T-Mobile 5G seems to work, but I leave my phone on 4G as I find it more reliable both at home and abroad. Only for testing do I change it.

The issue is that those who set their phones to automatic network selection and preferred 5G, the phone will connect to AT&T 5G by default at times, which doesn't always work. If they can't provide 5G roaming service, they need to change the provisioning to stop automatically connecting to it. End users should not have to spend time trying to figure out all these settings. I see multiple complaints a day in these forums, and I'm sure there are many more we don't hear about. What a poor experience for these users.

@DennyCrane 

5G on AT&T is yet to be seen.  I am not sure if anyone confirmed using 5G on AT&T without problems

but are we certain 5G on T-Mobile works well?

@softech I wouldn't say it's completely ended, but we're on the right path for sure. 5G is still bit and miss on AT&T. I think out of 3 trips, only once did I get 5G working on AT&T. And it's especially problematic for non-tech types. My wife for instance, her phone automatically connected to 5G AT&T last time we were down, and her data didn't work until I set her preferred network to 4G. Many won't think to do that, hence why we see multiple questions a day about it on these forums. PM needs to sort this out.

@DennyCrane wrote:

@softech While both may be documented roaming partners, many of us know that there was a 1+ year period where there was no AT&T roaming, even though the website collateral still indicated there was.

@DennyCrane 

I would say the "dark age" has ended.  AT&T is back on the map  🙂

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

@softech While both may be documented roaming partners, many of us know that there was a 1+ year period where there was no AT&T roaming, even though the website collateral still indicated there was.

@hTideGnow While AT&T may have better coverage, roaming for Public Mobile customers seems to be more reliable on T-Mobile at this point in time. AT&T 5G is especially problematic.

@Meow wrote:

Officially only T-mobile is PM's recommended partner in USA.

@Meow 

BOTH T-Mobile and AT&T are official roaming partners
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/qc/get-help/articles/roaming-add-ons
We’ve partnered with AT&T and T-Mobile to provide you with fantastic coverage

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Officially only T-mobile is PM's recommended partner in USA.

Grand Forks and Fargo North Dakota. 

HI @Chalupa_Batman , I think generally AT&T has better coverage.  But service wise the same

Where you were at?

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

When I was in the US this week, T-Mobile seem to be the better of the two.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @JohnMV1970 

definitely possible.

Tmobile has 2G network as well as VoLTE for voice but AT&T has only VoLTE 

What phone do you have ? model? could be your phone is not VoLTE compatible, and hence cannot use calls on AT&T.  With T-Mobile, even yours is not VoLTE compatible, it can use 2G for the voice calls

But as long as it works, T-Mobile and AT&T not much different for data and text, so you can stay on T-Mobile

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JohnMV1970 

Yes, AT&T seems to be hit and miss for some people. T-Mobile works for many as it still supports (until April 2024) 2G GSM for calling for those that don’t have VoLTE capable phones. 

Is your phone VoLTE capable? If it is changing your voice and data setting to LTE has also helped for some people on AT&T 

Need Help? Let's chat.