cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g not working and I have 5g coverage and 5g phone

Johngotlit
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi. I have subscribed to a 5g plan and I am well within the coverage area in my city. (Sault Ste. Marie) Iam using a S21 ultra which is 5g compatible. Why will it not connect to the 5g network? I have tried to alter settings in netmonitor and also created a new Apn thinking that might resolve this. All I get is LTE+. Any suggestions are appreciated. Also I wouldn't have bought a 5g plan if I knew I couldn't connect to it. Thanks in advance.

16 REPLIES 16

Good to hear. For future reference, on a Samsung device you can dial*#0011# and post a screenshot of the signal details to get more info on what is happening.

@Johngotlit   next time if it happens, try to force the network to 5G instead of Automatic and see if it works

Johngotlit

The situation resolved itself. I now am getting 5g. Maybe it needed a few hours to register on the 5g network. Thanks for your help guys!

@Johngotlit wrote:

Im getting 218mbps download and 15mps upload. Its pretty quick. Just doesn't show as 5g. Strange. Also reset my network settings and didnt do anything and also restarted. Strange.

@Johngotlit   So, the phone was showing LTE all along and not 5G??

then you are getting a better speed that 4G speed plan's cap (100Mpbs).

You might not be in 5G but you are getting a 5G speed , not bad. 

If you get the speed, I don't know if there is any noticeable difference between 4G and 5G for regular consumer usage

@Johngotlit wrote:

Yes I have used this today. It tells me if it even recognizes 5g and the line is just flat. Only Lte+. Frustrating. It may be my device. Although it has a 5g antenna.

TBH, I have not seen any major advantages connecting to 5G network.  The 4G network is plenty capable for data.  I think the only advantages of the 5G plans are unlimited data and a higher speed cap.  I am not sure if the speed cap means much for a single connection.  Most home internet is probably around 100 mbits/s and services many data hungry devices at the same time.  Nonetheless, I do appreciate your angst with not getting connection on the 5G network.  

Johngotlit

Yes I have used this today. It tells me if it even recognizes 5g and the line is just flat. Only Lte+. Frustrating. It may be my device. Although it has a 5g antenna.

@Johngotlit wrote:

I have a s21 ultra. Ive tried everything I know and it still only will connect to LTR+. Frustrating 

Maybe use this app to monitor network connectivity.  I don't know how the system determines when to connect to 5G vs 4G.  Half the phones at home are connected to 4G and other half connected to 5G.  

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en_CA&gl=US

Johngotlit

I have a s21 ultra. Ive tried everything I know and it still only will connect to LTR+. Frustrating 

@Johngotlit 

not sure what breed of cellphone you have...if iPhone go to settings > Cellular Data Options > Voice & Data > check to confirm if 5G is set to On and/or Auto.

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Johngotlit wrote:

I am getting 212Mbps download and about 15Mbps upload. It's quick but I'd just like to see that 5g on the bar at the top.

If you just migrated to PM, I'd give it a couple of days for things to settle out and make sure you're still getting 200+mbps.  hopefully you'll see that 5g soon. 🙂

Johngotlit

Im getting 218mbps download and 15mps upload. Its pretty quick. Just doesn't show as 5g. Strange. Also reset my network settings and didnt do anything and also restarted. Strange.

Johngotlit

Just signed up coming from Lucky Mobile. Its been a few hours but you could be right. May take a few hours.

Johngotlit

I am getting 212Mbps download and about 15Mbps upload. It's quick but I'd just like to see that 5g on the bar at the top.

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Johngotlit  Did your previous provider show a 5G connection?  I've been reading that some levels of update on the S21 may only report LTE+.  I'd do a speedtest to see what you're getting.  LTE will be about 100mbps down.  So if you're getting 250mbps+ down I think you're getting what you're paying for.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Johngotlit 

did you just get the 5G added to your old plan ? It could take a few hours for the upgrade to take effect.

Keep watching

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Johngotlit  Start with a reboot as well as Reset all Networks, it could help

Also, do a speed test and see what is your highest speed, even on LTE.  With a 5G plan, you can get more than 100Mbps even you are on 4G network

Need Help? Let's chat.