cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G plan still running at 3G

stillnotfamous
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I upgraded from a 3G plan to 4G about 3 weeks ago. My Account page has shown that I'm on a 4G plan for weeks.

But my phone still shows that I'm only getting 3G, I don't notice any speed difference, and today I got a text from Public telling me that their 4G plans are 30x faster than my current plan. Did I mention that my Account page shows that I'm already on a 4G plan?

Does Public actually deliver 4G (in Vancouver or Victoria, BC), and why are they still telling me to upgrade to a plan that I'm already on?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

@stillnotfamous 

Saanich/UVIC area should have more than enough towers. I can see a customer having issues with cell service(voice) if living N/W of UVIC. but as for LTE you should have advertised speeds of 60mb+. if you do a speed test and it doesn't go above 3mb then you're right. the account isn't providing the correct speed.

contact customer support

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

*customer support doesn't always respond promptly. please be patient and check your inbox every few hours to see if there is a response

CSA are available from
- Monday to Friday: 6AM- 10PM EST
- Saturday and Sunday: 6AM- 10PM EST  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@stillnotfamous 

I forgot about you.....I meant to come back to show how nearly all the cell sites in and around UVic are small very localized ( repeater?....can quite remember the technical name ?) cell sites with 2100mHz or both 2100mHz and 1900mHz. The only proper cell tower sites running 700mHz, 850mHz, 1900mHz and 2100mHz anywhere near UVic are off the ring road close to parking lot 1 and at the entrance of Centennial Stadium.

Screenshot_20221022-191216_Chrome~2.jpg

@stillnotfamous 

the text message is for the new $40/5gb plan instead of $41.25/4gb. 

stillnotfamous

@darlicious 

Saanich/UVic

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@stillnotfamous

Where are you located in Victoria?

@stillnotfamous- If you were to scan for networks, do multiple Public Mobiles show up? If so and one of them is LTE or 4G then try that. If you haven't already.

thebigguy86
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the same issue, seems quite a few people do. I created a support ticket hopefully they resolve.

stillnotfamous

@darlicious    @hTideGnow 

Thank you. It's an iPhone 8 (yeah, slightly old, I know, but it supports 4G) and it's set to LTE.

My only other option is 3G. There is no explicit 4G option, but I thought LTE supports 4G.

IMG_6632.jpeg

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @stillnotfamous   try a device reboot first

Make sure your phone is set to LTE and NOT 3G Only

Also, try in different places and make sure it is not just a network problem where you are at

if you possible, you can also try your PM sim card in another phone

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@stillnotfamous 

Is your phone 4G LTE capable or do you have it set to 3G only in your settings? Do you live in an area like Saanich that has poor connectivity to the 4G LTE network?

Edit:

If your issue is solved and you can connect to the 4G network check out the newly introduced "4G" plans as your new plan may have had a price reduction or there is a better plan at the same price or lower price. If so schedule a change plan on next renewal to take advantage of the new pricing structure.

Need Help? Let's chat.