cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G phone and 5G plans

FasterHarder
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a 4G phone but would like to take advantage of the 5G data plan on the current promo of 50GB at 5G for $40/m.     I know I won't get the 5G speed, but will I still get the 50GB data at 4G speeds without any issues? 

I have read some posts saying you don't need a 5G phone for a 5G plan but want to know from PM for sure.

6 REPLIES 6

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Yes, you're fine. The 4G network is capable of much higher speeds than the plans allow. Just yesterday I ran a speed test at 240+Mbps on the 4G network (with a 5G plan).

Teo0321
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@FasterHarder yes, definitely. Everything should work with no issues, even if you have no 5G.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Your Internet speed will be a little bit slower but everything else will work as expected.

Take advantage of great plan and do not worry.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@FasterHarder  It will work fine no worries and you will still get better speeds of a 4G plan 100mbs being in the 5G plan with phone set to 4G /LTE 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @FasterHarder 

yes, it will work.  Your 4G phone can use 5G plan on the 4G network.  And in fact, the speed will be close to 5G top speed if your phones allow.  So, it can get close to  200Mbps

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes you will. Many people do this to get more out of their phone plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.