cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 way transfer? 3 different providers, trying to exit one. very tough situation

reciprocal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi. I have kinda tried searching for an answer, but this situation is a very rare one and I already am assuming that it is kinda impossible to do because my line with PublicMobile has already been activated and if I transfer away, it'll literally close my account.

Here is my situation.

Currently, I have 2 phones, well one is my relative, the other one is mine.

My own line is currently with Freedom Mobile and I am wanting to switch, but switch to my existing (since it's under my name, email and account) but I want to switch the PM one over to another provider.

Example: I'm with Freedom with phone number #0001 and I have a PublicMobile with phone number #2. I want to change my PM #0002 to the other new provider and keep it's existing # while afterwards, transfer my Freedom #1 to my existing PM #0002, but keep my #0001 number..

If this doesn't make sense.. please try to ask me to clarify because I don't know how else to word this.

Is this even possible? Because my research says no..pm freedom.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@reciprocal 

You still haven't answered the question of who the new provider is? And is your current pm number originally a telus family number? Answering those two questions will determine if you will be able to retrieve the pm phone number from the holding pool for the new provider.

If the more important number is the freedom number then porting it in thru the change number feature in your self serve account will ensure you keep the freedom number and all of your accumulated rewards.

If your pm number is from the same family as the new provider then it is possible with diligence and a little luck to retrieve your pm number when activating and/or working with the new providers customer service agents at activation to make that arrangement.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@reciprocal    As you've noted once you port out your number from PM your account will close.  You can of course, port any number into your PM account then, again, you lose the PM number after porting in a new number.

Sorry don't see a way around what you're trying to do there.

Edit: Of course all accounts need to be active at time of porting which I'm sure you know as well.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@reciprocal wrote:

Hi. I have kinda tried searching for an answer, but this situation is a very rare one and I already am assuming that it is kinda impossible to do because my line with PublicMobile has already been activated and if I transfer away, it'll literally close my account.

Here is my situation.

My own line is currently with Freedom Mobile and I am wanting to switch, but switch to my existing (since it's under my name, email and account) but I want to switch the PM one over to another provider.

Example: I'm with Freedom with phone number #0001 and I have a PublicMobile with phone number #2. I want to change my PM #0002 to the other new provider and keep it's existing # while afterwards, transfer my Freedom #1 to my existing PM #0002, but keep my #0001 number..

If this doesn't make sense.. please try to ask me to clarify because I don't know how else to word this.

@reciprocal  - I love a visual!

You are right - if you transfer/port your current Public Mobile over to another provider that Public Mobile account will automatically close and you will lose any funds in your account or rewards.

Have you had this account for some time? If not,  just port away.

You CAN port the Freedom number over to the active Public Mobile account, but than that existing Public Mobile number...goes away.

I think it is clear what you are wanting to do. Did I cover it? 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@reciprocal   nice diagram  🙂

But sorry, short answer is NO.  You can NOT transfer your number out and keep your existing plan  😞

of course, if you are willing to sacrifice your current PM account, giving up all the loyalty discount and friends referral you currently have , you can transfer your PM number out, then current PM account will be closed.  

Then created a new PM account (using 2GBBonus  for new plan $35 and over) and then request to port Freedom # in.   

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@reciprocal : None of that huge long post is relevant to your question.

Nope. Porting in on an existing account kills the original number. Porting out closes the account.

Where did the original number come from? If it came from outside the Telus family then maybe you could re-acquire it after a few months by going to the provider.

If you would like to share the first 6 digits we can tell you which provider it came from. Or you can try the link.

@reciprocal 

Who is the new provider? Is your pm number originally from the telus/koodo/pm family? Is your freedom number from the telus family?

reciprocal

@dabr wrote:

@reciprocal    As you've noted once you port out your number from PM your account will close.  You can of course, port any number into your PM account then, again, you lose the PM number after porting in a new number.

Sorry don't see a way around what you're trying to do there.

Edit: Of course all accounts need to be active at time of porting which I'm sure you know as well.

But so then my loyalty (of 4 years) won't close? but others below your solution says that it would.

reciprocal

@esjliv wrote:

@reciprocal wrote:

Here is my situation.

@reciprocal  - I love a visual!

You are right - if you transfer/port your current Public Mobile over to another provider that Public Mobile account will automatically close and you will lose any funds in your account or rewards.

Have you had this account for some time? If not,  just port away.

You CAN port the Freedom number over to the active Public Mobile account, but than that existing Public Mobile number...goes away.

I think it is clear what you are wanting to do. Did I cover it? 

So the best idea is to port over my Freedom to the existing PM and then just open up a new line with the new provider (from the PM one)? that way I can keep my loyalty of 4 years and referral bonuses yes?

@reciprocal wrote:

So the best idea is to port over my Freedom to the existing PM and then just open up a new line with the new provider (from the PM one)? that way I can keep my loyalty of 4 years and referral bonuses yes?

This only works if you're okay with losing the Public Mobile phone number.  Sorry, but Public Mobile cannot/won't help you with this type of request of swaping the number around between accounts.