cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated: Get 8.5 GB at 3G speed + 2 GB of US Data + UL Canada/US Talk & Text for $60!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of October 11, 2019: This plan is now expired.

Hey Community,

Say hello to Summer :)! We’ve got the perfect plan for anyone headed state-side this Summer. For a limited time only, effective July 19th, 2019, you could get 8.5 GB of Canada Wide data, plus 2 GB of US Data Roaming, and Unlimited US roaming/Canada US Talk & Text for $60/mo! 

Plan details:

$60 for 8.5 GB at 3G speed + 2 GB of US Data + UL Canada/US Talk & Text

• 30-day plan
  • 8 GB of Canada-wide data at 3G speed + 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada/US Talk & Text - You could talk and text as much as you like from Canada to the U.S., and vice versa! 
  • Additional 2 GB of US data roaming
  • International text included in both Canada + U.S.
  • New and current customers are eligible

How this plan works:

Making a call to someone in Canada

Making a call to someone outside of Canada

In Canada

Included

Only U.S. included 

In U.S.

Included

Only U.S. included

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQs

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happens if the “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to “$60 unlimited Canada/US Talk & Text” even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

380 REPLIES 380

@Maiden wrote:

Yes it beats we snowbirds having to renew our plan every 10 days while State side, but will this one still be available when we head south again?

If you get it now...it'll be your plan until you change to a different plan, even if this plan is no longer avialable.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Maiden  nobody knows, you could set up your account to change on the renewal date 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Maiden wrote:

Yes it beats we snowbirds having to renew our plan every 10 days while State side, but will this one still be available when we head south again?

It says it's a limited time offer.  It could be removed anyday or not for a while.  So if you want it you might need to future date to it to lock it in.

Maiden
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Do you have one phone or two? Hands down this is one of the best plans out there for the price. If you have one phone get it and keep it. That way you never have to worry if pm withdraws it because you will always be grandfathered in. If you have 2 phones then you can consider a few options. For your first snowbirds season both of you get the plan. Unless you are huge users of data 2gb is plenty especially since there will be plenty of free WiFi around and you will probably have it where you are living. You may find that between the 2 of you 4gb is more than you need. As well people locally who want to contact you will incur long distance charges. You may after the first 30 days discover that you only need one phone to have that plan. At that point you could use either your or your wife's phone to keep that plan and change the other one to the $15 plan. With unlimited incoming calls you put it on extended absence in your voicemail with a message to contact you via the $60 plan phone. Then the $15 phone can get an American  SIM and number and be available for local callers to call without extra charges. That number can also be put on the voicemail as a contact. If you have a dual SIM card phone even better you can both cards in there. The American SIM and plan will be cheap w/data even cheaper w/out. When you return to Canada the $60 plan stays...you never know when you pop down for a weekend here and there and it's $20 for a 10 day add on ( so just keep the $60 plan its worth it) and you upgrade the $15 plan phone to $25 Or $40 plan depending on need. You might even keep at $15 and use the $5/500min add on to supplement it. You will have 8.5gb of data that you can hotspot to the cheaper phone when necessary. In Canada you will pay $75 for 2 phones (-$5 for 2xautopay+$1 referral reward+$5/500min add on). The U.S. plan might be another $10 Or $15 at the most during winter months and maybe $5 to maintain during summer to keep the same number. All told all 3 numbers about $80 to $90 every 30 days. Plus you could lend the cheaper pm or us SIM to family when heading across the border either way for short trips.

@TK123 wrote:

Sure, call it a gamble, but do any of the Big Three (Bell, Rogers, or Telus) offer almost continent wide calling at a fixed price?  This is a game changer.

The closest is probably some of Freedom Mobile plans that include Canadian and U.S. roaming.

TK123

@torontokris wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

@rbye wrote:

I am thinking of moving to Public from Koodo as my wife and i are snowbirds and this will be our first winter in Florida. Can we sign up say for this plan for 6 months and then change back to the canada only plan for 6 months upon return? The current Koodo plan adds $100 per month to do this!!

Yes, you can switch plans as often as you see fit. Keep in mind though, you can only change to a plan that is currently in market. If you are on an old grandfathered plan and you leave it for this US plan, you will not be able to get back to it, you will have to pick a current plan.

But, your idea about switching to this US plan as snowbirds, is a very good choice.

To add when you come back that will only work if the Canada Plan is still available.

And then next fall you would only be able to get this plan again IF this US plan is available next fall (what if they take it away etc) You wont be able to get it back.

Sounds like a big gamble. If your true snowbirds and stay down in the states for 6 months every year - sign up to this plan and keep it.It would be a great plan for you. Yes you will pay extra $10 in summer months.. but that is only $120/year extra or $60 extra for all 6 summer months extra which as you mentioned Koodo charges you $100/month.

Sure, call it a gamble, but do any of the Big Three (Bell, Rogers, or Telus) offer almost continent wide calling at a fixed price?  This is a game changer.

TK123

@hasan9800 wrote:

@lindaleej

Sorry to butt in… 

On the main page, it should say how much Data you have left from the 8.5 and how much data you have left from the 2GB

Do you just see one of them? 

The 8.5 GB is for usage while your phone is in Canada.

The 2 GB is for usage while your phone is in the USA.

hasan9800
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@lindaleej

Sorry to butt in… 

On the main page, it should say how much Data you have left from the 8.5 and how much data you have left from the 2GB

Do you just see one of them? 

@lindaleej wrote:

Hi there,
I signed up for the $60 plan with unlimited roaming in the USA
https://prnt.sc/p865l8

But this is all that is showing up in my account:
https://prnt.sc/p865qd

Is there anyway to verify that the right plan has been activated?

There is only one $60 plan. What you are seeing is only a cosmetic description.  What's important is that the the plan works properly. There isn't any other $60 plan that you could could have mistaken taken.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@smp99 wrote:

@rbye wrote:

I am thinking of moving to Public from Koodo as my wife and i are snowbirds and this will be our first winter in Florida. Can we sign up say for this plan for 6 months and then change back to the canada only plan for 6 months upon return? The current Koodo plan adds $100 per month to do this!!

Yes, you can switch plans as often as you see fit. Keep in mind though, you can only change to a plan that is currently in market. If you are on an old grandfathered plan and you leave it for this US plan, you will not be able to get back to it, you will have to pick a current plan.

But, your idea about switching to this US plan as snowbirds, is a very good choice.

To add when you come back that will only work if the Canada Plan is still available.

And then next fall you would only be able to get this plan again IF this US plan is available next fall (what if they take it away etc) You wont be able to get it back.

Sounds like a big gamble. If your true snowbirds and stay down in the states for 6 months every year - sign up to this plan and keep it.It would be a great plan for you. Yes you will pay extra $10 in summer months.. but that is only $120/year extra or $60 extra for all 6 summer months extra which as you mentioned Koodo charges you $100/month.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rbye wrote:

rbye
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

lindaleej

Hi there,
I signed up for the $60 plan with unlimited roaming in the USA
https://prnt.sc/p865l8

But this is all that is showing up in my account:
https://prnt.sc/p865qd

Is there anyway to verify that the right plan has been activated?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kellykellz wrote:

Just curious, does the US 2 gb roaming data carry over to the next month if unused?

No plan features "carry over". Only add-ons after paying for it just once. Plan features all reset each term.

kellykellz

Just curious, does the US 2 gb roaming data carry over to the next month if unused?

wingin

Love this great plan. 

rickytour

Yes unlimited international text

rickytour

I travelled cross US from coast to coast this summer. I found the US carrier are T Mobile or AT&T which provided great speed for surfing and downloading without any issue. Whatever I was in Boston , Chicago and Seattle. Thanks PM for offering this great deal.

RedSands

Awesome good for you please let us know how it worked for you . What states are you going to?

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Degus222 wrote:

Making the switch now 🙂

Yeah, I did too. The weeknd flash sale, the RBC offer

and a trip next month to the usa for 2 weeks made this a no brainer to try. Hopefully it works great

Degus222

Making the switch now 🙂

@countonalex wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@5FDR7No one other than Public Mobile knows when the plan will be replaced.. however once you get it as long as you don't change your plan, you can theoratically keep it for perpetuality.

I was going to switch back to the $50/8gb plan as I have yet to go to the US and have no plans on going anytime soon, but tbh I don’t mind paying PM the extra for peace of mind. I also got a few referrals and autopay setup to lower the payment a bit. 

I don’t wanna switch off of it and then it’s gone for good. 

Only you can decide if it's worth it.  You might be paying more for nothing. It depends how often you go south.

@countonalex wrote:

Does this plan include international texting? 

@countonalex 

Yes, it does.

International text included in both Canada + U.S.

countonalex

Does this plan include international texting? 

countonalex

@GinYVR wrote:

@5FDR7No one other than Public Mobile knows when the plan will be replaced.. however once you get it as long as you don't change your plan, you can theoratically keep it for perpetuality.

I was going to switch back to the $50/8gb plan as I have yet to go to the US and have no plans on going anytime soon, but tbh I don’t mind paying PM the extra for peace of mind. I also got a few referrals and autopay setup to lower the payment a bit. 

I don’t wanna switch off of it and then it’s gone for good. 

GR
Mayor / Maire

@5FDR7  nobody knows, it could stay a while or be gone tomorrow,  if you need it it's best to change to it on your next renewal 

5FDR7
  • When will this plan expire?  Will the plan be extended or become a standard plan? 

RedSands

Yes thank you sounds like a lot of greed thanks for the information I learnt something.

Need Help? Let's chat.