Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Public Points ™

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have some exciting news to share with the Public Mobile Community. We wanted you all to be the first to know we’re launching a new Rewards program soon - Public Points. 

Joining Public Points is optional for all existing customers. 

Your current rewards will remain the same. You’ll continue to earn in the same ways, and save the same amount. 

Once we launch the new program, all new customers will earn their rewards through Public Points.

If you’re interested in learning more about Public Points, and how you can join, we’ve provided some information below.

Why Public Points?

With Public Points, there are more ways to earn and spend rewards, making the program more flexible than before. Now you can earn and spend points how you want, when you want. You’re in control.

How does Public Points work?

Earn Points

Get rewarded in more ways than ever. Earn points just for paying your bill – for every dollar you spend, you’ll make 5% of it back in points.

Redeem points

We like to keep things simple. 1 point earned is valued at 1 dollar when redeemed - that’s it! 

Start saving

Redeem points on things that matter to you – like money off your bill, free add-ons or the chance to win awesome prizes.

Our Rewards Program has and continues to be our unique super power, by giving our customers the chance to earn even more!

Stay tuned for further details soon!

- Public Mobile Team

282 REPLIES 282

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Awesome, cannot wait, and also this will elevate PM to greater heights

@smp99 

The post says. 

Your current rewards will remain the same. You’ll continue to earn in the same ways, and save the same amount. 

To me that hat reads we still get referral rewards. SAME ways and SAME amount. 

Would also assume in the SAME way category that some one that uses a referral code....would still receive a $10  one time credit as well. 

Let’s wait a see for the final print. 

On old speak you are guaranteed $2 for autopay and up to $5 for loyalty. That beats the points offer.  Would not expect to see a deal like at Christmas where the new customer gets $10 off for using a referral and YOU get $5 x 6 months credit as well. But who knows. 

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

New customers or anyone else on the new points system will never get a growing balance. Once your bill is free you stop paying so you stop getting rewards. 5% of 0 = 0 .  At least for the Auto-pay discount.

If you have 25 referral credits, I wonder how they would credit those. They don't mention referrals. Maybe that will be switch to a one time credit. 

"Get rewarded in more ways than ever"  I will be watching to see how this statement plays out.

LeePublic

My guess for new and existing customers who decide to switch to the rewards program, you would be paying the full price of the plan. (No Auto-Pay discount anymore) i.e. $15, $25, $35/month. etc. So the price of your plan would be higher, but you would be earning 5 cents/$1 spent. 

LeePublic

I hope PM will at least get automatic redeem option i.e. get 5 pts, redeem for $5 off the bill automatically. That would solve the points hoarding issue. 

@softech wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

With the few details given so far, it is one program or the other. Existing customers will be able to stay as is or switch to the new program.

I am not too sure if we can choose.  PM has been running a very simple system (not just the Community or the reward but generally speaking).  It is hard to imagine PM will maintain 2 system in parallel, afterall, it is not even a profit generating system.  I still seeing that we will all got pushed over, just a matter of whether $1 = 1 point and if reward system are all staying as is. Maybe there is a short windows to have 2 systems but we will all be "United" at some point?

It is true that it looks like Community reward is the one to suffer.  Maybe the max  will no longer be $15?  Maybe a simple cut off line for $5 and those who work harder will got rewarded EXTRA with a nicer badge ?  

Value of Community rewards won't suffer as it is the least costly reward. It's not even close to 50c/customer/month! 🤔

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

As long as existing customers have the choice to stay with the current rewards (if that earns them better value) then I guess we just wait until more details get released to know if this change will be the better option or not.  Sounds like new customers will not get a choice as to which program they'd like to sign up for. 

I remember Koodo used to offer 10% off for customers if they set up autopay with a CC and that was dropped while ago although I think existing customers were grandfathered in, however, I'm not sure if they needed to stay on the same plan to keep their 10% discount and would lose that with a change in plan.  I hope that doesn't apply here going forward. 

@darlicious  The halcyon era ended couple of years ago. Perhaps it was a figment of our imagination?

SIModSIMod

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CountyDownIeUk 

The current PM reward program is good if not great.  But as far as PM is concern, it cannot be continued. 

Agree.  I am on the receiving end of other reward programs devaluation.  It is good that PM lets the current subscribers to decide which program to use.  This is the main different from other reward programs in the devaluation situation.

LeePublic

Oooh! This is quite an interesting program. We'll have to see if it's a improvement.

Edit: I don't think it's a great improvement, will probably keep my current rewards for now and wait and see!

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Just an add.  Some have mentioned that this new program compares to the Telus rewards program. The Telus rewards program offers many things as well as a bill credit. You must apply your rewards points to a listed reward. Easy peasy.  

A few years ago I discovered and had no idea that I had Telus points. I went through the laborious steps to apply for a $50  bill credit. I then emailed a few friends that I knew that had Telus services.....guess what......3/4’s of them had no idea about the Telus rewards program. Thats what happens when you pay your Telus bill from an email vs looking at the PDF statement.  So....I will leave it to you readers.......if new customers are not aware or don’t use....then how competitive is PM compared to the others? Will PM auto cash your rewards at say after 1 year or let them expire? Will new customer retention be better or worse?

And the $15 plan will earn 75 cents a month...will PM handle cents or round up to $1? Telus does reward in cents but rewards are on the dollar. 

popping

@CountyDownIeUk 

The current PM reward program is good if not great.  But as far as PM is concern, it cannot be continued. 

Agree.  I am on the receiving end of other reward programs devaluation.  It is good that PM lets the current subscribers to decide which program to use.  This is the main different from other reward programs in the devaluation situation.

@popping 

But what happens with points earned and not spent the company will look at them as a liability and will get alarmed of the scenario “what if every one cashed them in all at once”. Then do you know what happens.....the value of unspent points get diluted and the rewards % decreases as well. And will be advertised as an improved rewards program. Been there already a few times and worked for a company that did the same. 

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

My understanding of the new reward program is as under, and I don't think a matter of concern, especially for the existing customers. 

Existing customers

“Joining Public Points is optional for all existing customers"

Effective change; No change for existing customers if one doesn't opt for the new program

New Customers

They’ll have only one option — that is, join the new program and earn 5% cash back for whatever they spend buying PM plans, Add-ons etc.

Effective change: After the new program is launched, a new customer will end up earning back $1 for spending $20 per month, and so on for spending more.

Well the few details given so far it does seem clear to me that from some yet to be determined date all new customers will be in the new system only and all existing customers can stay or switch and we probably can decide to switch any time in the future as well. It isn’t really possible to dump all over the new program compacted to the old until we have details. It can’t just be 5% of what you pay monthly unless all the existing rewards are going away which is possible but seems unlikely. Signing up for Autopay generates LESS rewards at 5% for example. There will have to be some other categories of flat rate points rewards. Has referrals of friends been enough of a failure to eliminate any reward for referring people? Who knows.

Running two separate programs side by side is nothing new here. Look at the myriad of different plans, different rates and different plan lengths that are maintained side by side. And I haven’t mentioned the showcase full of Long Distance plans, different numbers of minutes and different countries that can be called with each.

AE_Collector.

popping

We don't know what will come out at PM Points program launch day.  We can only speculate at the mean time.

1. It will not be less than the current rewards program.
  2. Current PM subscribers has a choice to stay with the current program or switch to the points program.
  3. 5% of monthly payment less redemption as points + the current equivalent rewards in points may be too rich for the subscribers.  I am assuming that redeeming points to pay for bill is not automatic.  Therefore, PM will get their monthly income up right away to improve their system if all current subscribers are switching to the new points system  There is points liability for PM in the future.

Have better and better days and stay safe.  See you all at the Public Points launch day.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Lol....I already have 3 phones I really don't need another one! Especially not a CPO one!

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@hTideGnow, it is one program or the other.  You won't continue to earn your current rewards and 5% off.  There will be more to follow I am sure.  It will be up to all current customers to decide if they want to stay with the current program or move to the new program

Nobody sane will switch to this point program then if old customers can stay with the old reward system and IF old reward system will continue to be active for them.

$5 for loyalty, $2 for autopay, few $ for referrals and few $ for Community are way More than 5% off from bill particularly for $15 plan.

And since I never gamble, raffles, lottery and 'chances' to win do NOT work for me either.

@darlicious wrote:

@ShawnC13 

Lol....is there even anyone in their right mind who would opt in? Max loyalty $5+$2 autopay=$7 is double (10%) the 5% redemption on the $70 plan. Unless you really like to enter contests there is no real upside to this recycled loyalty plan from telus.

@darlicious  you probably should be the first one to opt in!!!

I think you got more reward money then "phone service for life"!!!  Maybe you should opt-in and get "waste" some points there.  With your luck and the huge number of points, you might get a new phone every month!!! LoL

@AE_Collector wrote:

With the few details given so far, it is one program or the other. Existing customers will be able to stay as is or switch to the new program.

I am not too sure if we can choose.  PM has been running a very simple system (not just the Community or the reward but generally speaking).  It is hard to imagine PM will maintain 2 system in parallel, afterall, it is not even a profit generating system.  I still seeing that we will all got pushed over, just a matter of whether $1 = 1 point and if reward system are all staying as is. Maybe there is a short windows to have 2 systems but we will all be "United" at some point?

It is true that it looks like Community reward is the one to suffer.  Maybe the max  will no longer be $15?  Maybe a simple cut off line for $5 and those who work harder will be rewarded EXTRA with a nicer badge ?  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ShawnC13 

Lol....is there even anyone in their right mind who would opt in? Max loyalty $5+$2 autopay=$7 is double (10%) the 5% redemption on the $70 plan. Unless you really like to enter contests there is no real upside to this recycled loyalty plan from telus.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@hTideGnow, it is one program or the other.  You won't continue to earn your current rewards and 5% off.  There will be more to follow I am sure.  It will be up to all current customers to decide if they want to stay with the current program or move to the new program

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@darlicious wrote:

Between the almost carbon copy Community forum design and almost identical loyalty points program its looking more and more like public mobile is just getting absorbed by telus. Well what do you expect when members keep sending customers to contact customer support for every little thing instead of helping teach them how to manage their account and services.

You gotta pay for all those employees somehow.....the end of an era.....🤔

@darlicious the above-bolded comment has nothing to do with the rewards program.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@hTideGnow 

Lol....one or the other 😏

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

And there it is,… that took a long time to land. Well over a year ago there was a survey sent to some of us that I commented about on here. This has quite obviously evolved from from that survey. Then and now … I am very worried.

With the few details given so far, it is one program or the other. Existing customers will be able to stay as is or switch to the new program. The ability is still there for the new program to be as lucrative as the old program but so far, who knows. PM has had a VERY lucrative rewards program to date so my money is on the new program not being as lucrative overall for some of us at least. But it may work better for the average person who doesn’t work hard at generating many rewards and may not be as good for those of us who DO have lots of rewards. Thus we can stay put on the old rewards program but new customers will sign on to the new program only.

AE_Collector

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI All, 

This is just too good to be true.  We already got ways to get free service, at least "almost-free" for most of us (Autopay discount, Friend Referral reward, Community Reward) and still not enough, they are give us 5% point back?  

I think something fishy here.

Maybe Friends referral will be gone as too many people are getting 100+ friends ?

Maybe Community Reward will be gone as too many ways to cheat the system?  

Maybe Autopay reward will be gone as too many Hyper-Autopay setup anyway?

🤔

@CountyDownIeUk 

Me too!

@darlicious wrote:

Well it's a win win for pm's bottom line as the 5% payout is the equivalent of the autopay reward on the $40 bill. Get your referrals in now because this actually is a big loss of incentive to stay loyal to pm to build up your rewards. All this program is ...is the same as telus's home services loyalty program with a slightly higher pay out. 5% instead of 2% with $1 for $1 point redemptions, contests to enter for $5 to $8 and some uninspiring gift cards or account credits to redeem. 

Between the almost carbon copy Community forum design and almost identical loyalty points program its looking more and more like public mobile is just getting absorbed by telus. Well what do you expect when members keep sending customers to contact customer support for every little thing instead of helping teach them how to manage their account and services.

You gotta pay for all those employees somehow.....the end of an era.....🤔

The question is........do new “program” customers get $10 off for using a referral? If old program remains in place.....then do we still have the ability of receiving new referrals....or just get to hang on to the ones we have?. Yikes....I have a ton of SIM cards. 

Edit:

It does say....Your current rewards will remain the same. You’ll “continue” to earn in the same ways, and save the same amount. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv 

Go look at telus's loyalty program I can bet this will be exactly the same just with the higher pay out.

@softech wrote:

Thanks @J_PM .  --- But with the new PM point system, I guess we are good for now  🙂

@softech , or is it a way for Public Mobile to help deplete customer's Available Funds balance somewhere along the way...Kinda of like converting rewards into Points rather than $'s, and those Points can be used to enter contests or used as some kind of currency some how towards something dangling in front of us.

Like HEY, we are giving away a New Phone, enter the contest to be eligible. And in order to enter the contest so many points are needed per entry.

If this is what it is all about, I think I will keep the $'s option, rather than points.

But just speculating, until more is revealed at this point.

Need Help? Let's chat.