Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,486 REPLIES 5,486

thanks @DownEast  for stating the obvious

Nermal3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

In January 2022 you promised to grandfather the legacy rewards customers.  Why is this changing?

Why would we want to change from a clean system of rewards to this complicated points system?

This is crap.  I will be moving all of my PM services to another company that doesn't play stupid games like this.

NoseyNick1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

> Did you promise to stay for 5 years? No.

No, but i was told what I would get if I did.

You can call that an advertising promise, or you can call it BS, up to you.   😞

G_Pomzz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Exactly, I think some might have jumped ship impulsively before really comparing apples to apples, which is quite difficult to do amongst all the providers myriad of plans. 

For myself, after carefully considering all the options, I've determined PM is still my preferred provider.

And...there is still a remote chance that with all the hullabaloo over the Legacy Rewards change, PM might just sweeten the pot for long time users due to all the CCTS complaints. 

NoseyNick1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

That's PLENTY of calls/texts for me, but... no data? If i want a bit of data, not a lot, probably 250-300MB of data a month, am I better on the $15 plan, or $13 + occasional data add-on?

Stelawrat

@wetcoaster wrote:  

As always, if you change out of a grandfathered plan that is not available in the current plan line-up anymore, access to it is lost forever. 
Thank you for this reminder. o/

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Fair enough. I noticed you edited your previous post with the qualifier about “until they personally screw you over at least” while I was replying so I didn’t see that. I posted weeks ago that one of the main reasons I joined PM in the first place was because of bad personal experiences I’ve had with both Bell and Rogers (I know you’ve said you’ve read every post but I’m not suggesting in any way that you could be expected to remember them).

I agree we can all only do our part and that it would be naive to think by not buying a phone that suddenly conditions in third-world countries would necessarily improve as a result. Of course, if one were on a hell-bent mission to do so then they could downgrade to a talk-only plan that includes only their immediate neighbours with no monthly charges and a minimal investment…..you take two cans and a very large spool of string…..😆

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Well, it's different when you're personally screwed over in my opinion. You can "hear" a lot of things about a company from other people, but until a company actually abuses you as a customer personally, it's never the same. Once that abuse happens, it hits different. 

At the end of the day, the MAIN reason for switching should be the money/benefits, and as I've been pointing out across multiple posts, PM's pricing isn't all that great, and for what most people actually need, there's far greater reason to switch to another provider.

But again, people will do what they want with their money. I know I've personally stated that I'd be willing to pay a bit more money to a competitor for the same service as PM, just because of how PM treated me with this decision. So ethics do play a role for me, but in a more direct/personal sense, at least in this case. I feel that's the only way you can really go, because how far do you wanna stretch that? Do you wanna stretch it to the children mining cobalt in horrendous conditions to create the batteries used in the very phone you're using? Probably not. Most people are only willing to be morally consistent to an extent.

eyes

Just noticed that when I logged in the  pop-up advising of the switch to the points in may is no longer. Has something happened?

Sorry - just logged in again and the dreaded pop-up —- popped up again. 

RetiredGuy1

Yeah, you’re right. I did say Freedom and Fizz were my options at this point for that very fact (get out from the clutches of the Big 3). Of course, one day it might become the Big 4 and they’ll be no better. But, using the same logic - if one can say “bad” things about nearly all of them - then why bother switching?

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hate to break it to you, but if that's your concern, Telus is no better:

August 4, 2023:

Telecommunications giant Telus says it is trimming 6,000 jobs, citing its need to free up cash flow and remain competitive.

February 22, 2024:

Telus continues to shed jobs at a record pace

February 21, 2020

Telus CEO threatens 5,000 job cuts if forced to sell access to wireless networks

2019 Sometime

In total, some 3,390 jobs were cut across the "big three" operators in 2019, a figure that equals about 2.3% of total headcount

This is why you shouldn't bring politics and "ethics" into discussions regarding billion-dollar corporations in my opinion (until they personally screw you over at least). Because it'll be nearly possibly for you to remain consistent and not delve into hypocrisy of some sort. You can spend your money however you'd like of course, but just saying that these "bad" things can be said about nearly all of them.

RetiredGuy1

Like all carriers, coverage and resulting reception depends very much where you live/location of towers. Its been said many times in here that Freedom or Fizz is not for everyone as they’re newer carriers currently expanding across the country. So, for many it would be more worthwhile to wait until they’re more established before even considering a switch. For me in Ottawa, my research has indicated that I should be okay right now. Perhaps you missed the $149 annual plan that works out to $14 (tax in) per month for an average of 2.5 GB at 4G speed (30GB allotment per year).

eyes

Well said! ——-“I’m happy with the reliability that PMs coverage has provided so I need to consider that.”. ————-I like you will not jump ship simply because I’m unhappy with PM switching us to the point system. One has to consider all factors.

RetiredGuy1

I agree 100% @JimThorne

Its a sad state of affairs in Canada right now for those looking for a relatively low-cost mobile plan that provides excellent value. Aside from travel considerations, location, and features offered, I try to consider the patronage aspect for who receives my fixed-income dollars as well. So, right off the bat - Bell/Rogers/Telus are too expensive for me. My conscience will not allow me to support Bell - a company worth $40 billion who rewards their executives with millions in bonuses while laying off thousands of workers. Their CEO just appeared before Parliament and was grilled over this. PC Mobile and No Name are a double-whammy as they not only use Bell’s network, but then Galen Weston comes into the picture so, no thank you. Fido and Chatr plans don’t look that appealing to me. Koodo is still Telus and PM still have more appealing plans (for my needs). Soooo, that leaves Freedom, Fizz, and PM. I love the idea of supporting Freedom or Fizz simply to get out from the clutches of the Big 3. If I leave, it will be one of them. However, I’m happy with the reliability that PMs coverage has provided so I need to consider that. If PM could make a serious effort to make some changes aimed at retaining their loyal customers then I might very well stay. Time will tell.

eyes

I’m sure Freedom Mobile is ok but a simple google will show that it’s way at the bottom of the list as far as coverage , quality and most importantly reception is concerned. Also - unless I missed something- when I perused their web site could not be convinced that —- other than  bait and cash offers— it’s not worth switching to them. For now I’ll stick with plans associated with Bell and Telus. Years ago I had a Roger’s plan but found it having very poor reception in many areas. 
I also would say that’s I would not switch provider simply for the sake of switching.

JimThorne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

And of course changing providers many are considering. I was determined to change. Now I'm not so sure. You really have to dig into all the info available. There are several plans that I thought would suit me better out there. Some include US talk or other nice features. However:

Three companies (PC Mobile, NoName, and Lucky) do not have US roaming available. If you travel you would have to purchase a separate SIM to use your phone out of country.

Freedom has good coverage in some areas, but I live in a remote area and need good coverage.

Fizz isn't available where I live.

Virgin is too expensive.

Chatr is ambiguous about extra charges (and doesn't really offer anything that PM doesn't have already)

So .... I'm leaning to sticking around after all. I will never be the vocal supporter of the company that I was. But, until I see a better deal ... (sigh)

DownEast
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Get real. Did you sign a 5 year contract? No.

Did you promise to stay for 5 years? No.

Did you have a month to month agreement? Yes.

Can they change their terms of service with notice? Yes.

Did they? Yes.

Do you have recourse? Yes - change providers…

Dbrace1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You are taking money out of our pockets, plain and simple! The dollar reward system was simple and generous, an incentive to stay and recruit others! Not any more! The point system is more onerous and far less rewarding. If I can find a better plan, I’m out!!!

@fixin1 wrote:

@hTideGnow - Yes, and that is the only price bump they did - only if you don't count the $40 4GB whole ordeal.

Hm, pioneer customers, that held onto pre-plan-builder plans after 2016, might probably disagree with that statement... Their plans saw a second increase if they didn't get the message after the first one. (the spread sheet below I had created in early 2018, after the announcement of the second increase and the final discontinuation of the call centre.. it is directly and unaltered from my gallery here in the community).

legacy-to-inmarket-0319.jpg

HI @fixin1 

that was before the $10 to $13 hike, and that was rolled back

also, that was only a 25% price hike, not as much as the 30% hike with the $10 plan

@eyes wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@eyes wrote:

So why was my account increased to $15? Are you perhaps factoring in the $2 auto pay ?

Screenshot 2024-04-13 16.23.33.png

The $10 $13 plan... the limited CW talk refers to 50 minutes incoming and outgoing.

Note: The payment prediction page still shows $$ rewards for the May 13 renewal...

Thanks -

eyes_0-1713057020372.jpeg

-- but then when was it increased again to $15? 

It wasn't increased to $15.

As mentioned in another post, that screen shot was taken this afternoon, on a $13 plan that renewed last night. Last payment period that person had used 18 minutes and 37 texts, a pretty average month for them. They did REALLY splurge on data, though, using a bit over 3GB of the 5GB expiring "loyalty gift" (this plan doesn't include a data bucket, so their use taped directly into the add-on). There was no reason for this person to spend $2 on their minimal use plan.

For some other people it made sense to change to the $15 plan after the increase, $2 more for a leap in features like no limit on texts and free incoming calls and doubling outgoing. As always, if you change out of a grandfathered plan that is not available in the current plan line-up anymore, access to it is lost forever. 

@eyes wrote:

OK. just what people in the know report --

(1)"Freedom finished dead last in Ontario and second to last in the Western Region of Canada".

(2) “Freedom largely occupies the center of our results, offering slower speeds than Bell or Rogers but still putting up some respectable numbers compared to Koodo and Fido”

"People in the know"? Really? Have names, or links?

I'm really sorry, but... At this point I'm trusting my own real life experience most: I have bought the according SIM, signed up for a month long prepaid plan on a second number, and have used the service in my/our typical circumstances, directly comparing to Public Mobile. If someone is considering porting their number out of PM, I encourage them to do the same, to make sure that their new provider works for them, when and where they use it most. Best results will be with a fully compatible device.

FWIW, over the last three or four years, Public Mobile service quality has dropped considerably in several areas where I and my friends spend the majority of time. We took the comparison between Freedom, Public Mobile, and Fido as a representative of the Rogers network, very seriously. We compared on as level playing field as we possibly could as lay people: Many many tests, during which we used the same spots, very similar time, same unlocked phone that is "Public Mobile" approved, and was previously sold by both Freedom and Fido (Pixel 6a).

In our case, Freedom was equal or better than the other two in all but one test (out of at thirty, I think). That's all the convincing I need to be comfortable with moving several accounts from PM to Freedom when the price scale tips towards the later. 

@eyes wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

hi @eyes show us your plan details page

Come on stop teasing - you expect me to have a copy of my plan details from years ago? So just tell me am I wrong that the basic plan was increased to $15? If it was raised before my time to $13 then when was it increased to the $15 that it is now?

eyes_0-1713056124433.jpeg

It was more that once the $10 cost increased to $13 in July 2022, for a sub group of users of that plan, spending $2 more and more than double your minutes and have unlimited texts was a no-brainer, (It's likely what PM intended when they decided on the increase). Others, who didn't use up the texts and rode on the holiday gift minutes and data, decided to stay on the $13 plan. $2 is $2, and after $ rewards the plan cost was still dropping below $10.

A couple of accounts I help manage have been on this up to present... the one the screen shot came from, renewed one last time last night. Unless something earth shaking is happening to PM's plans of discontinuing $ rewards in the next three weeks or so, all the $13 plan in my care will move to Freedom's $119 yearly plan as soon as the data add-ons are used up.

eyes

Hey at least some good come out of my many posts on this thread - for the first time ever I just received $2 for participation.

@fixin1 wrote:

@wetcoaster - Are you still on the plan? If you are - I have never (Since joining PM community in early December) saw that $13 plan info card.

The $10 for 50 minutes in & out and 50 texts out (unlimited text messages) was available, roughly, from April 2018 to July 2019. End of April 2022, PM increased the prize to $13. Zero features added, just a plain old increase of 30% (if you look at the full plan cost). If you consider that a lot of people on that plan were early adopters, PM essentially wiped out the loyalty rewards on that plan.

@hTideGnow   Sounds like countryuk got something seriously mixed up but here's a link from PM's announcement when they updated the info after questions were being asked about the limited outgoing texting feature and it also includes details of the plan itself.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Plan-updates-new-10-limited-talk-and-te...

fixin1

@hTideGnow - Yes, and that is the only price bump they did - only if you don't count the $40 4GB whole ordeal.

hi @fixin1 yup an old plan.  It was big drama back then when price increased.  

@dabr I copied that info from CountyUK's post from 2022

fixin1

@dabr - Thanks for the info about the discontinuation of the plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.