Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,076 REPLIES 5,076

Salvo1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have 60g  for 3 months 

90/ days  $102 

With discounts 

paying $ 75  

What happens to my plan ? 

Stelawrat
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your overall calculations are correct, but the monthly impact will be greater because, with the new system, you are only credited with the 10 points once per year, on your anniversary date. 

Under the new plan: $1.70 + $3.00 = $4.70 

The difference is $4.30 per month, or $51.60 per year, reduced by the one time redemption of $10.00 on your anniversary date, IF you're still with PM when that date rolls around... otherwise that amount is a total loss. 

There is the added caveat that you have to log into your account to redeem your points & there can be a delay of up to 48 hours for earned points to appear in your account. 

@BeeBeeb wrote:

Theres literally no point in us staying anymore, is there?

HI @BeeBeeb 

actually quite the opposite.  There's literally POINTS to stay. Public Points  🤣😅😄

BeeBeeb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

PM could at least be honest about this, instead of trying to paint it as though its a GOOD thing for us. We're not stupid. Insulting. 

HI @kb_mv 

I think there is no point to argue why PM package it as a better thing  All businesses have a marketing team. They can give you something and tell you "sorry, this is not as good cos we cannot afford to keep giving free services "   LoL

HI @Godzillaz 

yes, my Starbucks, McDonald's and Tim's points all will expire after so many months. I think this is life we need to acccept

But given they just made this huge move, you probably have peace of mind of another 2 years, or until Telus' financial got another hit like last summer

Godzillaz

Points are not going away but chances are they are about to get alot worse

Step 1 - migrate all to points since its "better"

Step 2 - (already announced) launch "enhanced" point systems

Step 3 - make sure to expire any outstanding points

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM Well this is going over well, but I'm guessing you knew this would happen. I know you are just doing your job but selling this as a benefit to the old rewards plan members was a mistake. It doesn't take a genius to instantly see the harm it is doing to me. Why not fess up and be straight about it. For business/fiscal  reasons you have no choice but to migrate everyone to the new points platform. People would still be upset but at least you would be honest about the reason instead of selling me on the idea that you are doing me a favour. You had me and my 2 accounts locked in because of the legacy rewards. Now, I'll revert to what I used to do (and was the reason I came to PM), plan and provider hop to get the best deal. With the loss of the legacy rewards all the other providers are now within the same range. 

Stelawrat

That's my understanding as well, so looks like you're good to go for another 5+ years! 😳

teatime_54321

Your monthly refer-a-friend are 1:1 in points. Your loyalty and auto-pay subscription are replaced with points that are 5% of your plan value.

Interesting to note that in your situation, even with the most expensive Public Mobile plan available in Ontario, you will not be able to get the equivalent to your current legacy reward discounts in points.

Your legacy rewards in points would be 4 + 2 + 1 = 7 points per month.

Assuming the most expensive $55/month plan:

• 5% of your plan in points. $55 * 0.05 = 2.75 points
  • 10 points every 12 months.  10 points / 12 months = 0.83 points
  • 1 : 1 friend referral. 1 friend = $1/month = 1 point
  • Total = 4.58 points monthly

Compared to your legacy rewards the switch to the points system is an effective $2.42 monthly increase. Worse is you need to redeem every 15 points instead of automatic deduction. 

@GrumpyDad 

@GrumpyDad wrote:

So all your old monthly referral credits go away and reset to zero, or they are gong to start you with equivalent points?  

Rewards
Loyalty- $4.00
Subscription- $2.00
Refer-a-Friend- $1.00

In the new points system, there are no autopay/subscription rewards ($2/month) or monthly loyalty rewards (ie. $4/month).  Your refer a friend rewards will stay the same.  1 point/month.  

You will get 5% back in points with your plan cost and each anniversary year (date when you sign up), you will get 10 loyalty points. 

Every 15 points can be cashed out as bill credit of $15. 

GrumpyDad
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So all your old monthly referral credits go away and reset to zero, or they are gong to start you with equivalent points?  

Rewards
Loyalty- $4.00
Subscription- $2.00
Refer-a-Friend- $1.00

BeeBeeb

I literally only switched from Koodo for this rewards system, and I will be going right back to them. At least they offer customer service. 

mikasik2

Anyone else have to do 2fa everytime they login?  This is so tedious, and is just an extra step to redeeming the more flexible rewards

Stelawrat

Judging from this info, I don't think there are any automatic redemption features for any transactions at all, not just the one you're suggesting. Redeeming points for any type of transaction involves logging into your account to do so... As customers, we are effectively taking over an administrative function that was previously provided by PM.

Stelawrat_0-1709824661100.png

Moving to Public Points | Help Article | Public Mobile

@Kel_varnsen  Your not wrong and I’m sure PM is counting on that . Referrals bouncing it’s all part of their evil genius plan 

Kel_varnsen

What is extra annoying is that while the referral credits are basically staying the same, I imagine a bunch of my referrals will probably drop PM when their bill goes up and then I will lose those points. If I lose most of my referrals there isn't much point staying just for the other basic points.

golfball

The timing of that feels suspicious. They opened that plan to everyone, let people switch to it with the impression legacy rewards would be applied, then announce the discontinuation of rewards and say if you downgrade from it they will take away your data bonus. Feels manipulative.

BeeBeeb

This same thing happened to me! I'm honestly feeling tricked. I have nothing good to say about this, or about PM.

BeeBeeb

Theres literally no point in us staying anymore, is there? Our loyalty gets rewarded with nothing, and we can't even access the better plans. For five years I was on a 28$ a month plan, and just let it go this past summer. If I had known they would eventually pull this BS I would never have switched.

SHAME on you PM.

porcupine

I am not very happy with this move from Public seams like a money grab .I will not be referring my friends anymore and it might be time to move our services to another provider

BeeBeeb

This is such BS. I feel like what I get for being a loyal customer for years, and bringing in more subscribers for you guys, is this bull. We KNOW the new rewards system sucks, we aren't stupid. I can not express how angry and disappointed I am in this decision. I will now be going around telling people to avoid this. With the lack of customer service, the rewards were the only thing keeping me here, saving the cost of my bill.

shabby

lotr.jpg

@mikasik2  Your reaching for the stars. . Nope doubt it they can’t even fix the credit card updating system . This probably to pay for the broken chat bot that just got fixed after year in limbo . They need to continue to gouge as much more for anything like that to work 

mikasik2

Will we get actual customer service now that prices are not competitive anymore?

RoadFlyer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I guess with the legacy loyalty program gone, it will make it easy to switch to another provider. The old loyalty program stopped me from changing providers a few times in the past, but 5% is less likely to.

@MikeyMcP1 

this is an common industry practice, Mobile providers are always giving the cheaper plans to steal customers from others.  But PM has been removing the "new activation block" on some plans, like the $34 Canada-US plan was open for everyone earlier.  Let's hope they will do more to make it up for the retiring of the legacy rewards

MikeyMcP1

To save a massive exodus make the plans available to new customers available to existing customers. You will retain a tonne of customers if you do so. Give us a reason to stay.

Need Help? Let's chat.