Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,449 REPLIES 5,449

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The timing of that feels suspicious. They opened that plan to everyone, let people switch to it with the impression legacy rewards would be applied, then announce the discontinuation of rewards and say if you downgrade from it they will take away your data bonus. Feels manipulative.

BeeBeeb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This same thing happened to me! I'm honestly feeling tricked. I have nothing good to say about this, or about PM.

BeeBeeb

Theres literally no point in us staying anymore, is there? Our loyalty gets rewarded with nothing, and we can't even access the better plans. For five years I was on a 28$ a month plan, and just let it go this past summer. If I had known they would eventually pull this BS I would never have switched.

SHAME on you PM.

porcupine

I am not very happy with this move from Public seams like a money grab .I will not be referring my friends anymore and it might be time to move our services to another provider

BeeBeeb

This is such BS. I feel like what I get for being a loyal customer for years, and bringing in more subscribers for you guys, is this bull. We KNOW the new rewards system sucks, we aren't stupid. I can not express how angry and disappointed I am in this decision. I will now be going around telling people to avoid this. With the lack of customer service, the rewards were the only thing keeping me here, saving the cost of my bill.

shabby

lotr.jpg

@mikasik2  Your reaching for the stars. . Nope doubt it they can’t even fix the credit card updating system . This probably to pay for the broken chat bot that just got fixed after year in limbo . They need to continue to gouge as much more for anything like that to work 

mikasik2

Will we get actual customer service now that prices are not competitive anymore?

RoadFlyer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I guess with the legacy loyalty program gone, it will make it easy to switch to another provider. The old loyalty program stopped me from changing providers a few times in the past, but 5% is less likely to.

@MikeyMcP1 

this is an common industry practice, Mobile providers are always giving the cheaper plans to steal customers from others.  But PM has been removing the "new activation block" on some plans, like the $34 Canada-US plan was open for everyone earlier.  Let's hope they will do more to make it up for the retiring of the legacy rewards

MikeyMcP1

To save a massive exodus make the plans available to new customers available to existing customers. You will retain a tonne of customers if you do so. Give us a reason to stay.

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I'm gonezo once my sim card arrives via Amazon this afternoon. By the way, $4.99 compared to $10 from Lucky Mobile and in store for a sim card. I'm getting the $29 25gb plan. It's going to be 3 dollars and change more than what I pay now, but it will be $3 that PM won't get. And we keep waiting for these new plans to trickle down to Legacy customers, I'm done with the waiting.

This is an absolute shameful and sneaky move by PM and they won't see another cent out of me.

ONE2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Awesome news! Helps inform my decision to switch providers.

Thanks.

@Chalupa_Batman good plan . As for this place changing course I’m doubtful. It’s like Justin Trudeau . Just took over PM and treating loyal customers like the truck convoy . 
next they will be trying to seize our back accounts 

teatime_54321

This is a massive downgrade in tough economic times for Canadians. We need affordability not pseudo flexibility.

The bonus offer’s conditions really shows the lack of consideration and good will:

“Valid for 150 days…The bonus data will remain active unless your account becomes inactive, you switch to a plan of lower value or to an incompatible plan.”

• Expiring data instead of rollover. 
  • Public mobile only offering flexibility if you spend MORE. Not a secret that many people reported the $24/month 4gb “new subscriber only” plan was given as an option for people who were paying $15/month since it would cost them $9 more. People on the $25/month who would save $1 were not offered it. And in this case if you choose a more expensive plan you get to keep the bonus data. Try to downgrade to a less expensive plan? Lose the bonus data.
  • If you’re already paying for the unlimited plans you get no bonus data since “incompatible”. Not even that your unlimited throttled speed will get faster speed up until your bonus data is used up. Just incompatible and you can watch it expire.

Make no mistake this is a price increase described as flexibility. You can see this based on the timing of the discontinuation notice of the legacy rewards plan and Public Mobile’s sister brand that starts with a K doing a $6 increase to their $29 Black Friday plans.

Hey @Handy1 

I ordered my Fizz SIM card last night. Porting out the one I did on Monday. I'll keep the other one here as I have 22 referrals on it for now. Guess time will tell what will happen. I'm hoping with enough pressure, they stop this stupid plan of theirs. I doubt but you never know.

MikeyMcP1

I will give it a little to see if they retract any of these decisions or offer better plan options to long-time customers. If they don't, I will sign up for Fizz's $29/month for 20GB at 4G speeds with a $14.50/month discount for the first 6 months.

@Chalupa_Batman  Might be worth porting number out and create new account with the 4GB $24 new activation plan . I also think all user that have referrals should drop there plan down to one that there referrals cover the plan so PM makes no more money off us loyal folks time to boycot the theft 

@Kel_varnsen wrote:

Also it is not at all clear what you can get for points. I get that it is a $1 bill credit but other than that it is not clear. I found a link to a points catalog but the link is dead. Can you get any good add ons and how much do they cost?

@Kel_varnsen 

In the points catalogue, most of the add ons that are purchasable are discounted by about 5 points.

For example,

10 POINTS    1000 US Long Distance Minutes

25 POINTS      Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 3GB Data Bundle (15 days)

Most customers do not purchase many add ons, but there is a discount if you do purchase with points. 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

I feel betrayed by Telus/Public Mobile. I was on a perfect plan, $25 5GB data. I didn't need any other plan. I didn't need the $34 Can/US plan. However, I got it for convenience and because I had the Legacy Rewards to compensate the difference.  I have TextNow free in the US with their SIM card. Once again, I didn't need the Can/US plan. Only thing that made me switch was because I had Legacy Rewards. If I knew Legacy Rewards were ending when I chose this plan last week, I wouldn't have upgraded. 

@MikeyMcP1  There’s only one explanation PM dose not value you and you shouldn’t value them . If better deal comes along you should definitely take it . PM will rob and blindside you at every opportunity they get . 

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@MikeyMcP1 wrote:

Can anyone explain why a new customer gets a better plan than long-time customers? With the change in points, our monthly bill will be higher than someone who signs up today.

Most phone carriers in Canada want to attract New Customers, retract existing customers to different providers.

MikeyMcP1

Can anyone explain why a new customer gets a better plan than long-time customers? With the change in points, our monthly bill will be higher than someone who signs up today.

fixin

@golfball wrote:

So if you're on the $15 plan ignoring referrals you only earn 0.75 of a point per month which takes 20 months to add up to 15 points for a bill credit, vs $2 minimum off from the start every month on the old rewards. What a huge downgrade.

Yeah, it is. 

Spoiler
I am asking the CSA's to overturn the rule since they will be confused as to why there is no people on PM anymore.

golfball

So if you're on the $15 plan ignoring referrals you only earn 0.75 of a point per month which takes 20 months to add up to 15 points for a bill credit, vs $2 minimum off from the start every month on the old rewards. What a huge downgrade.

fixin

@Kel_varnsen wrote:

The other annoying thing is as a loyal customer I don't have access to those really cheap plans available to new customers. Like on the homepage now a new customer can get a 4gb plan for $24 a month. I am stuck with 1gb for $25 and don't have access to that other plan. So I don't get my old rewards (especially my $5 loyalty reward) any more and can't change to a better deal plan, so why shouldn't I switch to another carrier? 

Yes, if they remove something, add something in!

Kel_varnsen

The other annoying thing is as a loyal customer I don't have access to those really cheap plans available to new customers. Like on the homepage now a new customer can get a 4gb plan for $24 a month. I am stuck with 1gb for $25 and don't have access to that other plan. So I don't get my old rewards (especially my $5 loyalty reward) any more and can't change to a better deal plan, so why shouldn't I switch to another carrier? 

dwh1

@eJonavin wrote:

Does it matter?. Presumably we’re all already on plans that fits our needs. The temporary data could be unlimited and it won’t matter.

Oh, the data matters - but not in a good way.  They are clearly hoping that some percentage of customers will use that extra data by doing things on their phone that they weren't doing, and that will become a habit that will lead them to upgrading their plan and spending more money.

Yes, the "gift" they are giving is the opportunity to spend more money down the road.

Need Help? Let's chat.