cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Public Mobile response to COVID-19

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of May 1, 2020: This offer (US Roaming Credit Back) is now expired.

Update as of March 31, 2020: As of April 1st, online SIM purchases will no longer be discounted and will return to their regular price of $10. 

Update as of March 26, 2020: The $5 discount for online SIM purchases will only be available on purchases through publicmobile.ca. Please note that Amazon deliveries may be significantly delayed due to COVID-19. Make sure to check your estimated delivery date before ordering through Amazon.

Hey Community,

At Public Mobile, the health and safety of our customers, team members, and partners are paramount to us. That’s why, with COVID-19 concerns top of mind and rising uncertainty surrounding the extent of disruptions to day-to-day activities for our customers, we will be committing to make it stress-free to stay connected with friends & family. How are we doing that?

US Roaming credit-back

Public Mobile will be crediting back the full cost of US Roaming Add-Ons as account credits.

• Eligible customers: Customers who have purchased and used any US Roaming Add-On from March 13 to April 30th, 2020. Note that usage of a US Roaming Add-On is mandatory.
  • Account credit will be applied to accounts within 7 business days of usage, beginning March 23. No action is required. Customers will receive a SMS when credit is applied.

$5 off SIM card when you buy online

During this challenging period, we want to ensure that our customers are staying as safe as possible and purchasing SIM cards online, if you need to. 

• For a limited time starting from March 20th, get $5 off when purchasing a SIM card online from us via Amazon or Publicmobile.ca.
  • No promo code necessary.

Any changes or updates to these items will be shared on this page. We encourage you to view further details on what we’re doing to help keep you safe and connected by visiting this help article for more information.

We thank you for being a Public Mobile customer, and hope that this helps make things easier during this difficult time. 

Thanks,

-Public Mobile Community Team

296 REPLIES 296

skifan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Many Thanks for the thoughtful consideration. I am visiting down in  West Texas and keeping up-to-date on events back home has me chewing up the data way more than anticipated.

Public rocks ☺️👍

TNogler
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I agree, these are tough times, a little help would be appreciated

@Montrealpost

Beware when buying SIM cards from Amazon/eBay resellers.

Some are legit, they just want to flip ten bucks, easy way to work up their customer feedback. Some others are borderline, they sell the $10 item (sometimes for less than $10) with the proviso that you use their referral code so that PM will credit you $10 back (and give the referrer an ongoing reward). And some are scams, they record the unique SIM number (and any other personal info they can get about you and your device) for later use in SIM fraud.

If you buy directly from PM you get a brand new factory-sealed SIM card which hasn't been seen by anyone else and isn't (potentially) compromised in any way. Without any added shipping charges or delays.

Or you could buy a PM SIM card from an "authorized" retailer like Walmart or London Drugs. Although people have reported a variety of good and bad experiences from specific retail locations.

Ten bucks ain't much to pay vs all the costs of unwanted problems you might buy for a few dollars less.

@Montrealpost wrote:

". . . get $5 off when purchasing a SIM card online from us via Amazon or Shopify . . . "

What is Shopify and link for where to buy please.

I did find $5 SIM on Amazon and Public Mobile website, no shipping charge?

Shipping is always for purchases done at publicmobile.ca. 

Shipping can be free if purchasing from the seller Public Mobile from amazon.ca if you're a Prime member or if ordering $35 worth of shipped by Amazon.ca products.

Montrealpost
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

". . . get $5 off when purchasing a SIM card online from us via Amazon or Shopify . . . "

What is Shopify and link for where to buy please.

I did find $5 SIM on Amazon and Public Mobile website, no shipping charge?

Justin163
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I think u could do a little better then that since im in nb and nobody is aloud to work and most of the country is the same way. Some free data and unlimited calling would be nice since were not millionaires like telus. Really sure odd people may use that roaming **bleep** but if there traveling they got money. Its people like me work suppose to fire up and now not so on ei and being raped of 700 of it every month for our government not doing there job so i get nailed paying ober half my income this winter so cant pay rent food or drive rest goes to meds. So people in canada canada starving who cant afford nothin would be a better gesture then helping travelers who obvisly have cash.

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thankyou. This would be a big help for those stuck in the USA.

Fefetim
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Telus. Rogers . Koodoo. Bell and Eastlink is unlimited data and international minutes. I'm stitching to Rogers as of now might be smart if you did that too. At least for the next Month

Korth
Mayor / Maire

PM just gave everybody a free 400 minute international long distance add-on a couple months ago, lol.

But this seems to effectively be free unlimited USA/Canada Talk while in USA - although purchased in 10-day increments then refunded before they expire - until Apr 30.

PM still has to work within their system parameters. And their arrangements with USA carriers (AT&T) are not something entirely within their control.

I think it's a clever workaround. And I know some people who will be very grateful to stay in touch while forbidden from coming home across the border because of this contagion. Now they don't have to buy three (or more) add-ons every month.

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Alan_K  Thank you to the whole PM team.  I also got the message about Telus donating money to buy medical machines and offering a free online health check.

Totally, wonderfully amazing to see a company like Telus step up in a time of crisis and help in a big way.

Kudos to Telus and PM

I think PM should also consider Temporarily waiver the Data thing

As other carriers like Telus, Bell, Rogers, Virgin, Koodo, Fido have done, shouldn't PM Perhaps follow suit, as long as this Pandemic is still fluttering about

Mreekster
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We need Wi-Fi CALLING it is for SAFETY. The border is closed. My phone doesn’t make a call to my mom on her landline from the middle of Vancouver!

@Alan_K  Thank you for this gesture from public mobile in helping customers who are stuck in the US either by self isolating or just having issues trying to book a flight home. Its awesome to see so many canadian businesses coming together and putting the needs of their customers first rather than profits.

smiley3

@computergeek541 Oh, I see.  It's on until April 30th, so if you run out you can just purchase the add-on again and get it refunded again.  So, they are basically giving free US roaming until April 30th.  I still find it a bit confusing to interpret the original message as free US roaming.  I just thought it was more like a refund for not really using the US roaming that you may have bought when I read it!  Anyways, thanks for clarifying!

@smiley3 wrote:

@computergeek541 Oh, I guess that kind of makes sense especially with the "usage of a US Roaming Add-On is mandatory" part.  Although does that mean you just get the rest of the add-on time for free, or is US roaming free until you return to Canada?  It's actually kind of unclear.  Perhaps Public Mobile should clarify better!

The entire price of the add-on is credited. This is mentioned in the first post of the thread.

smiley3

@computergeek541 Oh, I guess that kind of makes sense especially with the "usage of a US Roaming Add-On is mandatory" part.  Although does that mean you just get the rest of the add-on time for free, or is US roaming free until you return to Canada?  It's actually kind of unclear.  Perhaps Public Mobile should clarify better!

@smiley3 wrote:

@computergeek541 I don't think this is saying they are now giving free US roaming.  Just sounds like they are refunding people that bought the add-on because they probably can't use it now, or had to cut their trip short.

Customers don't purchase roaming add-ons more than a day ahead of time because they are in effect as soon as the purchase has been made.  I see this a something to help those are stuck somewhere in the U.S.

I do understand that the customer has to pay for it up-front but the fact that they are issuing a refund for roaming add-ons purchased between March 13 and April 30 does mean that it does ends up being free.

smiley3

@computergeek541 I don't think this is saying they are now giving free US roaming.  Just sounds like they are refunding people that bought the add-on because they probably can't use it now, or had to cut their trip short.

Every little bit helps, but how about giving everone a  400 minute international add on so that the ones here can contact loved ones abroad for free.

The free roaming is certtainly a nice gesture. It will help those who are already in the U.S. and are staying there for now. I do wonder if something can be done data-wise for those still within Canada but away from home. Some of these customers may have been advised not to travel even within the country to get back home or are choosing not to.

smiley3

Thank you PM!  It would be great if you could also give us unthrottled 4G LTE data, and perhaps a free GB or two in this time of crisis!

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Thanks PM for your contribution to flatten the curve!

Good job, Public mobile.  

This will be helpful for anybody traveling or stuck in the United states.  

What about some discount on the Canada data add ons? Canada talk minutes add on?  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Thanks PM for a positive response at this critical time of a crisis.

It would be good idea to offer add-on for 400 minutes so people can call family and friends.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

Now THAT'S very cool of PM to do!!!  Although this doesn't affect me, I'm guessing there likely ARE some PM customers that may be stuck in the US once the border closure takes effect..... GOOD ON YA PM!!! 👍 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Alan_K Great, thank you!

Need Help? Let's chat.