cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number transfer in Self-Serve impacted by ongoing maintenance

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused and delay in delivering this message.

As a result of ongoing back-end maintenance, the function to port a number to your Public Mobile SIM within My Account  is temporarily unavailable. Porting a number during the activation process is unaffected, and no other self-serve functionality is impacted.

We recommend to take the following steps if you need to port-in a number:

• Be sure to note the best practices below to ensure a smooth process:

1. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number.
    2. You cannot transfer numbers between Public Mobile accounts.
    3. Your previous account must be active in order for the number transfer to go through. Once the transfer is complete, it will be automatically deactivated from your previous service provider.
    4. Double check your old account info, as it needs to be correct in order for your number transfer to complete. Here’s the information you’ll need:

Mobile Phone Number Transfer

Landline Phone Number Transfer

Alternate Phone Number

Complete billing address

First and Last Name of the account holder

Alternate phone number

You’ll also need to provide one of the following: your old account number or your ESN/IMEI/MEID number or your account PIN

First and last name of the account holder

1. As a new customer, we recommend porting a number at activation with the exception of Koodo Prepaid customers. 
    • We have made some system enhancements to improve the success rate of this activity. So long as the correct information is entered, this process should be seamless
  2. All other customers: To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. 

We thank you for your patience while we work through the Self-Serve maintenance.

Thank you,

-Public Mobile Community Team

252 REPLIES 252

Eliza5
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Those are good guidelines.

Thank you,

Eliza5

RhinoYT
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes, and thanks for the information. For context I made several requests, filled out the same form 3 times, had to re-confirm information already given to them (e.g. 'is this the number you want ported?'), and then would get a message in the morning that said my authentication has expired...so I'd start my day hitting another link. This finally got resolved yesterday but not until I told them of my intent to submit a complaint to the CTTC if I was requested the same information again. I'm willing to believe that I'm a rare customer that got caught in a bad customer service loop, but when you're given the run around and it's costing you money it's hard not to think it's self-serving to them when their delays are resulting in Telus being paid twice. Hopefully my experience with PM is better going forward.

@RhinoYT  I'm not quite understanding why it has taken three weeks? Have you been waiting three weeks for a response from the moderators ?  Did you have email modifications set up? Have you been checking your private messaging? Is this the first time you've accessed the community and asked for help? If you havent heard from the moderators within 48 hrs (lately response time is a few hours) then you need to submit a new service request. If they havent responded during a ongoing service request within 24 hrs (Unless prearranged) then responding to the last private message is appropriate. Start a new porting service request via Simon as before. Once your number is ported you can ask the moderator that handles your request (if public mobile somehow missed your service request/support ticket submitted via simon) for a credit equal to the three weeks of double service of your pm plans cost. Unfortunately you'll have to cover the more expensive telus plan but it will be prorated at approximately $2.58 per day.

@ibuddler gald to have you part of the community!

Screenshot_20200507_185027.jpg

ibuddler
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just want to thank @Gely_F to help me port my number. It took only about 5 minutes! I was expecting at least a couple days but that's very impressive. 

For the record, I ported out from Telus to PM. 

jeav

Yep that sounds like major frustration.
I called the Telus porting station when I ported my number.
It had been blocked and then the block was removed but I had to call to get it to go through.
There was a bit of a wait but it was less than an hour and then they said the number would be working in 2-3 hours.

Have you called the Telus porting number?

RhinoYT

Not only is my old account is still active, it is with Telus. As a result not only am I paying for 2 lines (though only using 1), this delay has cost me another (avoidable) $80 because I am paying to keep my Telus account open while I wait. It takes a lot to get me frustrated, Public Mobile has succeeded.

jeav

So are you still trying to get the number ported? I hope you can sort this out.
It certainly is frustrating when is seems like it should be easy and straightforward and then isn't at all....

jeav

Hi, I did still have my Rogers account active so it did work out after all!
I had to call in but it was fine.

@RhinoYT hi where were you porting from? if your account is no longer active you won't be able to port unless it's telus koodo 

@RhinoYT wrote:

As someone who has been trying to get his number ported for 3 WEEKS (!) having provided all the information you require, I would say this process is anything but seamless.

That is a long time. Did you port your number at activation or through the moderator?

RhinoYT

As someone who has been trying to get his number ported for 3 WEEKS (!) having provided all the information you require, I would say this process is anything but seamless.

Mary73

Had a few trouble when I changed to public mobile, but the moderator help me a lot, now my phone work great and I kept my old phone number, hope you were able to resolve your problem, stay safe.

Bobo75

Very helpful keep up the good work

@jeav    Happy to help....welcome to public mobile!

jeav

Hi!
I just called the number you gave me and got through. 
They said it should take 2 -3 hours and I'll be good to go!

Thanks for providing that number 🙂

jeav

pre paid

jeav

how did you port differently?

I guess it's too late for me. 

I'm now on hold with Telus for porting my number over...

@jeav  They handle all the porting in of numbers for telus, koodo and public mobile.

Rogers has their own department to port into them they don't port you out.

jeav

oh ok, 
I thought that was for telus not rogers but I will try. 

I do have the account number

jeav

Will try this thanks!

@jeav  Do you have the account number? Call the number I provided.

jeav

Hello I have contacted the moderators.
Communication was quite prompt and there were quite a few messages back and forth and then it seemed to stop. I was able to do all the things that were suggested but still no luck.
My old account is still active... (I am on my Uncle's family plan with Rogers)
I seem to be able to send text messages but not receive them unless I put in my old sim card.

Not sure how to proceed.

Thanks for your time. 

-j

@jeav wrote:

Is this and ongoing issue? 

I signed up with a new plan and tried to port my number over yesterday morning (May 30th). 
My number is not yet ported  over to Public Mobile. 
Not sure what steps are needed to make that happen. 

Thanks for posting. 

-J

@jeav 

Customers are still unable to port via self service account.  Need moderator help. 

Did you activate new plan and port at the same time yesterday?  This should still work if all information was entered correctly.  If it was a mobile line, the port should have been completed within a few hours.  If landline or VOIP line, it can take several days.  

Anyways, either way, you probably need to contact moderator.

To contact moderator via 2 methods:

1. Ticketing system - faster response time

Click on the question mark on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact moderator.  Type: Contact moderator. Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

or

2 Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

jeav

Is this and ongoing issue? 

I signed up with a new plan and tried to port my number over yesterday morning (May 30th). 
My number is not yet ported  over to Public Mobile. 
Not sure what steps are needed to make that happen. 

Thanks for posting. 

-J

@ibuddler 

Just trying to understand your post....you have activated your sim card with public mobile and taken a temporary number. What are you waiting for to arrive? Once you have a pm account you can contact the moderators to request they port your number in from your old provider. Click on the (?) At the bottom right corner of your screen to submit at ticket via Simon type in number port and human. Then follow the prompts to submit your ticket. Keep an eye on the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of your screen for a little number to pop up indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly to messages will speed up service times.

ibuddler

Thank you all. I bought the SIM online and waiting for it to come. I will then transfer my number. I've already activated my SIM card tho and got a new number. I just hope everything can be done before my next billing cycle.

@ibuddler wrote:

Hello,

I'm new to PM. I want to port in my number from Telus. Can someone please let me know how long will it take?

Thanks,

Michael

The actual process once the request has been submitted might actually only take 5 seconds, but I would assume 2.5 hours. However, your longest wait time might be waiting for a moderator to get to your ticket.

@ibuddler  is it prepaid or a post paid account?

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ibuddler If you port at activation it will take 2- 3 hours. it took me 15 Minutes 

Need Help? Let's chat.