cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number transfer in Self-Serve impacted by ongoing maintenance

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused and delay in delivering this message.

As a result of ongoing back-end maintenance, the function to port a number to your Public Mobile SIM within My Account  is temporarily unavailable. Porting a number during the activation process is unaffected, and no other self-serve functionality is impacted.

We recommend to take the following steps if you need to port-in a number:

• Be sure to note the best practices below to ensure a smooth process:

1. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number.
    2. You cannot transfer numbers between Public Mobile accounts.
    3. Your previous account must be active in order for the number transfer to go through. Once the transfer is complete, it will be automatically deactivated from your previous service provider.
    4. Double check your old account info, as it needs to be correct in order for your number transfer to complete. Here’s the information you’ll need:

Mobile Phone Number Transfer

Landline Phone Number Transfer

Alternate Phone Number

Complete billing address

First and Last Name of the account holder

Alternate phone number

You’ll also need to provide one of the following: your old account number or your ESN/IMEI/MEID number or your account PIN

First and last name of the account holder

1. As a new customer, we recommend porting a number at activation with the exception of Koodo Prepaid customers. 
    • We have made some system enhancements to improve the success rate of this activity. So long as the correct information is entered, this process should be seamless
  2. All other customers: To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. 

We thank you for your patience while we work through the Self-Serve maintenance.

Thank you,

-Public Mobile Community Team

252 REPLIES 252

ibuddler
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I'm new to PM. I want to port in my number from Telus. Can someone please let me know how long will it take?

Thanks,

Michael

PsyJade

Thanks for this info. Good to know. 

@BHoule 

Follow @gblackma  instructions on how to contact a moderator. Keep an eye on the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of the screen for a little number to pop up indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly to messages will speed up service times. Koodo prepaid accounts require moderator intervention to "port" the number because it is actually just a number transfer between accounts public mobile and koodo prepaid share the same system.

@BHoule To transfer your Koodo account Contact the moderators.  Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type "Port Request " and follow the prompts to get to one 
Once connected, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Also keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there. Once it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing allows the process to continue.
If you need to, you can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email. Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

Use this link to see what is required to port your number  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

Welcome to PM.  Stay safe.

BHoule
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello. I just opened an account an hour ago. Does this mean I cannot transfer my existing Koodo number? Now that I have opened a Public Community account, has a ticket been submitted?

nguifombeoh

Thank you for the clarification.  We appreciate your efforts PM

If your credit card was charged @SamiraIbrahim12 insert your SIM into your phone and restart it.What happens?  Also, try logging into you self service account here

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/

Your new number should be in there top right of your screen.  Thanks. Stay safe. 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SamiraIbrahim12 wrote:

They want payment to get someone to call me. I do not think it is fair.

@SamiraIbrahim12 Who wants payment? PM? If your talking about PM they want payment because you have to pay for the service. But you dont have to pay extra for call centers. In my opinion I would rather have no call centers, Save money, and just contact the moderators directly. Its better than waiting on hold on a phone forever. Also moderators dont take that long to respond. Especially if you have no service. Why pay extra for stuff you dont even need. You dont need a call center. Use @gblackma's link to start a chat or you could submit a ticket through SIMon

Contact a moderator:

Step 1: Click Here to chat with SIMon

Chat With SIMon.jpg

Step 2: Type in “moderator” to connect to a Public Mobile

customer service representative.

Step 3: Choose “Account-specific question”

Account Specific question.png

Step 4 Then choose “No, I want a human

No I want  A Human.png

Step 5 Create your ticket

Check the sent folder to make sure your ticket was sent and the inbox

for a reply from the moderators.

Mail.png
“To ensure the safety of our team members during the COVID-19 pandemic, our Moderator team is working at reduced levels. During this time, you may experience longer than normal wait times when contacting our Moderator team for help.”

Moderators are available:

Monday to Friday from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time.

Saturday and Sunday from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time

@SamiraIbrahim12 everything is online here. Use the direct private message link that I gave you to contact them directly.  The moderators do not call you. No one should be demanding payment for a call. Do not respond to or call them. It's probably a scam.

SamiraIbrahim12

@SamiraIbrahim12 wrote:

@SamiraIbrahim12 thats a first to me who were you in contact with? whatever you are doing or speaking to nobody at Public will want money I advise you start over and speak with a moderator here @gblackma  gave you a link

Sorry @SamiraIbrahim12, I forgot to mention that  a moderator is what a Public Mobile customer service representative is called here.

SamiraIbrahim12

@SamiraIbrahim12 wrote:

The moderator is a robot. No help whatsoever. I hope I did not not make a bad decision joining Public Mobile. I start to doubt it though.

Who was your old number with ? The old account has to still be active in order to port that number to PM.

@SamiraIbrahim12 if you need help with an issue ask the robot to speak to a human and then they will get back to you usually within a few hours, most issues can be talked about and resolved here in the community and account specific issues can be fixed by a moderator

@SamiraIbrahim12 wrote:

The moderator is a robot. No help whatsoever. I hope I did not not make a bad decision joining Public Mobile. I start to doubt it though.

A moderator is a live person to assist you. Use the link @gblackma provided in his post.

SamiraIbrahim12

@SamiraIbrahim12 use this private message link to contact the moderators directly 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Type "Port Request " in the subject message field.

Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Also keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

Use this link to see what is required to port your number https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

Welcome to PM.  Stay safe.

SamiraIbrahim12

It would be great to have a live person answer questions instead of the run around your Robot gives. Get started yesterday, wanted to port my number, decided to change it to get service, and I get number change failed. If my phone does not work today, I would appreciate it if we cancel the payment.

@stephaniep  When things just won't work and errors start happening everywhere.....close all tabs, clear browser history and reboot your device. Start fresh as a daisy....youll find everything will settle down. I will sometimes switch from Firefox to chrome for awhile and switch back the next time I sign in. Think of public mobile as suffering from ADHD it can work quite well with a little buzz of activity but if you have too much stuff going on in the background suddenly it loses its ability to concentrate as it just keeps getting distracted and can't complete a task.

stephaniep

Absolutely impossible to submit the request for me. When trying to submit, I get this error in Chrome's developer tools:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'city' of undefined

Half of the pages on the site are not working. Errors everywhere. Ugh.

@bearmattr wrote:

I guess I read this too late. I was trying to port my number from Freedom Mobile but unfortunately this can only be done through the moderator right now. As stated, I will have to wait 48 hours to receive a communication if this was successful or not. Anyway glad to know there are relevant information available in this community to provide some sort of guide into doing this rightly on the first try.

Did you port your number from freedom at activation? If so have you tried the sim in your phone to see if it works?

If you did not port at activation, then go to step 2:

1. As a new customer, we recommend porting a number at activation with the exception of Koodo Prepaid customers. 
    • We have made some system enhancements to improve the success rate of this activity. So long as the correct information is entered, this process should be seamless
  2. All other customers: To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. 

bearmattr

I guess I read this too late. I was trying to port my number from Freedom Mobile but unfortunately this can only be done through the moderator right now. As stated, I will have to wait 48 hours to receive a communication if this was successful or not. Anyway glad to know there are relevant information available in this community to provide some sort of guide into doing this rightly on the first try.

@Christian8383 

Do you need some assistance?

Are you trying to activate a number?

2. All other customers: To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. 

Christian8383

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Alan_K 

I have now ported over two numbers to Public in the last few days. The process was smooth and the phones worked immediately. I can say nothing but good things.

Thank you for the clarity on the announcements. 

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

I will need a referral code, I've just ordered a Sim, hopefully it won't take too long with covid19 delays. I am koodo post paid though as of now. 

Do you happen to know if there will be any fees on koodos side of things upon switching ?

This is directly from the koodo website you can access it here:

Long story short: no cancellation fees from koodo...

Can I cancel my service at any time?

Yes. To cancel your service, contact Koodo with the date you want the cancellation to be effective. Cancellation fees may apply.

Can I take my number to another provider?

Yes, you have the right to take or "port" your number to another Canadian telecommunications company.

Can Koodo cancel my service?

Koodo will only suspend or cancel your service if you have not complied with the terms of this Agreement or any other service agreement you have with us (or if Koodo reasonably believes that either may occur). While your service is suspended, you remain responsible for all regularly recurring charges. You will also be charged a reconnection fee as specified on your bill to reconnect suspended service.

What charges am I responsible for when my service ends with Koodo?

If you cancel your service or if Koodo cancels it for any reason, you remain responsible for your Koodo Tab, remaining phone credit balance and for all amounts chargeable to your account up to the time the service is cancelled. Any recurring charges that were billed at the beginning of your billing cycle will be partially refunded so that you are only charged for the portion of the month in which your service was active.

@Naepalm I believe that there will be improvements in relability and functionality in the process when this self serve number porting option returns. The disabling of this feature wasn't unexpected and was planned ahead of time.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

Thank you for the update!

@Alan_K  Looks like this was a month ago but still helpful. Will this change in the future? 

@Dodgy-melrose Try these tricks to restart your phone service. You could try in order:
1. Restarting your phone. Turn your phone off, wait 30 seconds and restart.
2.Putting your phone on aeroplane mode for 5 minutes. Take it off and restart.
3.From your self service account enable the lost/ stolen feature log out, wait 5  minutes, log in and take it off. Log out and restart your phone.
4. Add a one time payment and of $2 To your account and restart your phone .

If these tricks don't work contact a moderator and ask them to reset your SIM. Since Simon isnt working for you, use this private message link to contact the moderators  directly https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Also keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.