Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW $70 for 15GB Plan

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

Starting June 17, 2021, we are introducing a new $70 15GB plan!

What does this mean for you? 

For a limited time, existing customers can change their rate plan to the following:

• $70 per 30 days
  • 15GB + 500MB BONUS data at 3G speed (per 30 days)
  • 500MB BONUS data when you sign up for AutoPay (per 30 days)
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk and U.S minutes
  • Unlimited International Text

Important things to know: 

• Bonus data will expire if account becomes inactive or the rate plan is changed.
  • Previous promotions that have been applied to the account that have been indicated as ‘non-stackable’ will be removed when you switch to this plan. To see if a promotion you currently have applied to your account is ‘non-stackable’ please check the terms of that specific promotion.

How to get this offer: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the ready-made plan “$70 for 15GB + 500MB AutoPay Bonus”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile plans, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

142 REPLIES 142

@srlawren wrote:

* yes, you can now purchase a phone from Public Mobile!  Hooray!  But, it will be used/refurbished.  And not recent.  And not great selection.  And no ability to pay for it using a tab/installments.  

It is always toss up buying phone (or whatever) refurbished from reputable company vs. private deal (kijiji, etc.).

Refurb will come with return policy (most likely) and warranty (it is a must). Private deal is based on your luck 😁 unless you know seller.

Problem I see buying refurbished from PM is you cannot see device before purchase.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jib_tech wrote:

That's a lot of data!  And I'm not talking STNG!

@jib_tech it is.....   ...but not necessarily a great value for the money.  Please review the previous responses to this thread, as there are a number of things you give up being a Public Mobile customer (examples: call centre for support, VoLTE, VoWiFi, unlimited heavily-throttled overage data, ability to purchase new phones*, ability to finance phone purchase, ability to roam internationally, monthly invoices/receipts for tax/expense purposes, etc etc.).  These trade-offs may be tolerable on lower-cost plans, but start to sting at the $70 level.  Customers would be smart to shop around if considering this plan, to be completely honest.

* yes, you can now purchase a phone from Public Mobile!  Hooray!  But, it will be used/refurbished.  And not recent.  And not great selection.  And no ability to pay for it using a tab/installments.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jib_tech
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That's a lot of data!  And I'm not talking STNG!

barndoor

@LeePublic wrote:

@barndoor Lucky Mobile and Chatr Mobile also don't charge 911 fees, they include them in the plan price too.

@LeePublic ,Thanks ...I see that now . Interesting that a lot of other companies do list that they pay 911 fees in certain provinces even though included in the plans . I can find nowhere  that PM states that they pay those fees period . Just a curiousity . 

I see the company I used to be with still ads a 911 fee to the monthly plan price  ...and they are in Ontario where it would seem there should be no 911 fee to deduct . 🙄

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@barndoor Lucky Mobile and Chatr Mobile also don't charge 911 fees, they include them in the plan price too.

barndoor

@Korth wrote:

Technically, 911/E911 would be paid for by the government. "Included" in the taxes paid on the plan, not "included" in the price of the plan itself. Any added "fees" assessed to the consumer are just a money grab or tax dodge invented by fat corp accountants.

In my world PM is the only  provider that does not charge a 911 fee of some sort   ... so that to me means they include it in the price of the plan . Whether it is a valid  fee  for those other companies seems irrelevant to me ... but it does put them out of the competition in most cases when it comes to value . 

@Nezgar wrote:

911 fee is basically "Included" with your PM plan.

Technically, 911/E911 would be paid for by the government. "Included" in the taxes paid on the plan, not "included" in the price of the plan itself. Any added "fees" assessed to the consumer are just a money grab or tax dodge invented by fat corp accountants.

https://firefighterinsider.com/does-911-cost-money-the-price-of-emergency-calls/

yes.. for data usage, they got eaten up quick..  LoL

With the help of home Wifi, you should be able to cut down the mobile data usage a lot.

ASt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@computergeek541 , 

I didn’t search for a better deal because I knew it would be temporary, just a month,  until I got an ISP.   

I had little time to research the competition, because I was moving and was told from acquaintances that PM offered rewards to make monthly payments go down.

I thought I could trim my time online but the GBs get eaten up quickly.  I used the 15.5 gb in 3 weeks and am now using the 2 gb bonus.

ASt

Thanks for the good advice, @softech, about using “change” on next bill date.  I appreciate it.

@ASt Yes, $70 plan is very pricey and not worth it.  If you are paying for that amount, you should go elsewhere

On the other hand the $35 is a very reasonable plan and you will love it

When you change plan, make sure you might want to sue "Change on the next bill date" instead of "Change Plan Now"

Change Plan now would charge your the new Plan price immediately and all the remaining date on the current plan cycle (remaining data) will be forfeited and start a new cycle on the new plan.  Probably not something you want.

@ASt wrote:

I am in my first month with this plan and agree that it is too much money for so little data.

I moved and didn’t want to rush into getting ISP, since I wasn’t sure who to go with.

I have chosen an ISP now which will begin on or around Sept. 7.  it depends when the modem gets here.  I will be getting unlimited.  

The data with $70. PM plan is puny.  It should be at least 25 GB, as far as I’m concerned.

I will be changing to the $35. plan because I want a plan with unlimited incoming and outgoing calls.

If you took the $70 plan,I'm suprised, based on your comments,  that you took it to begin with.  It is just plain a horrible plan. Take your pick of too slow of data, not enough data, and too expensive.  Then add the fact that competiors, even with the Telus family, have offered better plans.

ASt

I am in my first month with this plan and agree that it is too much money for so little data.

I moved and didn’t want to rush into getting ISP, since I wasn’t sure who to go with.

I have chosen an ISP now which will begin on or around Sept. 7.  it depends when the modem gets here.  I will be getting unlimited.  

The data with $70. PM plan is puny.  It should be at least 25 GB, as far as I’m concerned.

I will be changing to the $35. plan because I want a plan with unlimited incoming and outgoing calls.

@srlawren 

Among a few others I can think of but yes....there is a reason I decided to scrap my already prepared post for the top contributors after double checking that I had all of the correct top contributors in my post. An asterik* just wasn't going to sum up the tainted statistics from June or May for that matter. Limelight isn't appropriate and for a second time I am terribly disappointed in pm's response.

I will say it again......removing the bravo leaderboard has removed any accountibility when it comes to the community rewards on pm's part and obviously some community member's part as well.

If eliminating community rewards and the community's purpose is their goal then pm is doing a bang up job of it. Bravo!

srlawren

@darlicious wrote:

[...]fewer community rewards that now reward not dedicated, passionate, altruisic members but robo-like copy and pasters that direct customers on how to contact a moderator ahd no accountibility for those who use the community for their own purposes and still get their rewards by any means necessary.

@darlicious hmmmm I wonder whom you could be referencing???  Oh you forgot "frequently inaccurate" in your list!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren 

Lol....thanks for the math!

I struggle with the pricing it is $10 too much and as a limited time offer then what's the point? How many members will lock themselves in at that price if the plan gets grandfathered? One of pm's selling points is the flexibility of changing plans. That was the appeal of many popular plans now grandfathered by the bean counters. The $10 50/50 plan., $60 US/Canada 8gb/2gb roaming plan, $30/2gb plan and yes even this overpriced $70/15.5gb plan has a place if flexibility and niche marketing is part of public mobile's plan.

Public mobile's original appeal was rewards, affordable pricing, building your own plan (niche marketing), the flexibility to change your plan/features/30 or 90 days, choice of data speed pricing, the community, DIY account management, an online service model to keep overhead cost low and pass those savings onto customers thru plan pricing, exciting contests, bonus referral credit drives, flash sale promotions and feedback announcement threads giving the community to help shape and drive pm's future and earn some freebies along the way!

This $70/15.5gb plan has come to represent what public mobile is today. An overpriced boring provider who isn't really listening to its customer base that is less and less flexible, offering bland promotions, slow data, fewer community rewards that now reward not dedicated, passionate, altruisic members but robo-like copy and pasters that direct customers on how to contact a moderator and no accountibility for those who use the community for their own purposes and still get their rewards by any means necessary. 

Public Mobile is coming into their own in the mobile provider industry in Canada where corporate greed and the bottom line are achieved by any means necessary and to hell everyone else!

srlawren

@softech wrote:

This plan has been up 4 weeks.  curious to know how many have chosen this plan, must be a great success.   🤣

@softech great question, would love to know but doubt it will ever be shared.

Quite honestly, I'm really struggling to figure out why anyone would want to give PM $70/month* for a plan with 3Mbps data, no access to a contact centre, no access to purchase a [new] device with or even without a tab/payment plan, no access to "frills" (*cough*) like VoLTE, Visual Voicemail, VoWiFi, unlimited throttled overage data, Call Control [okay this one's a legit frill and I love it on my main line (with Koodo)], etc.  

I think as some have said the only real reasons would be if you couldn't pass a credit check for post-paid or were worried about possible overages (if you didn't understand how the "shock free" data and/or unlimited throttled overage works) or unintended roaming when near the border or something?  That's about all I've got, and all are a bit of a stretch for any but a very fringe few.

*30 days, I know I know; in fact the actual amount when annualized and then divided by 12 is of course ($70/30 * 365)/12 = $70.97 per month, except on leap years when it would be $71.16.  Plus applicable taxes.

@Korth wrote:

And the sorts of people who tend to "need" big mobile data buckets also tend to be sorts of people who "need" the newest phones and fastest networks to make things work ... the sorts of things they won't find at Public Mobile.

I'm guessing this plan will fail to attract a lot of customers.

Agree.  I still don't know why PM not trying to bring back LTE speed for $70 (or even $50). 

I would agree 3G speed only if the WHOLE system cannot handle LTE speed.  But the fact that some grandfather plan still using LTE, so the system definitely able to handle some "exception" cases ( I meant giving LTE speed to selected users on different plan). 

So, if the system already doing this, they should make $70 a LTE plan to make it a little bit more competitive

jerry_dunlop81
Seems legit.

@softech wrote:

This plan has been up 4 weeks.  curious to know how many have chosen this plan, must be a great success.   🤣

4, one per week. That's being optimistic. 

Why does Public keep providing data so parsimoniously? Especially when their third-tier "competitors" tend to provide just a little bit more data provision plus some sort of "unlimited" slow data beyond provision.

They already throttle the speed. So it's impossible to load huge bandwidth demands onto the network machinery. Offering such small (and slow) data on their highest-cost plans seems cheap-cheap-cheap to the point of insult - $70 is entry point for subscribing to other data providers/services which offer hundreds of (fast) GB instead of barely over a dozen (slow) GB. And the sorts of people who tend to "need" big mobile data buckets also tend to be sorts of people who "need" the newest phones and fastest networks to make things work ... the sorts of things they won't find at Public Mobile.

I'm guessing this plan will fail to attract a lot of customers.

@KamWest wrote:

Came here expecting to read the news, instead ended up reading the comics.

$70 bucks at 3g....  really? on what planet? 

If customers were willing to pay $70 for a cell phone plan, they likely would not be choosing Public Mobile. I do like Public Mobile for the past price plans that were groundbreaking and for the excellent prices that are possible because of the rewards, but this $70 plan is a really big miss.  

KamWest

Came here expecting to read the news, instead ended up reading the comics.

$70 bucks at 3g....  really? on what planet? 

.. they won't do anything with this plan (and maybe other as well...) the introduction of this plan as well as the price is in response to the move from both Lucky and Chatr.  PM always reacts..not leads

Really this should be closer to $60 for 15 GB following the progression of the other plans. But just the fact that PM has finally offered a plan with more than 8 GB is a start and the recent 2 GB bonus being offered to new customers fairly regularly now gives me hope that competition is moving things in that direction. This plan could be reduced in price or more plans may see some data added to them similar to the fairly recent bump to the $50 plan. Nothing happens instantly (until a competitor offers it) but in my mind things are creeping in the right direction.

AE_Collector

@gpixel j you are the lucky one that still on LTE plan?

Bilnok

I totally agree. 

@gpixel wrote:

it's fine...

Koodo is offering $80/15gb

it aligns with all the other plans with a $10 price gap. 

This Public Mobile is flat-out terrible, but that's only an opinion.  Koodo was previously offering 17GB for $70.  Koodo's plans getting worse doesn't make this Public plan better.

Need Help? Let's chat.