cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Unlimited Text and 100 mins of Talk for $15

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Starting March 15th, we’re excited to bring you something that’s been long requested- a new Ready-Made plan at $15 with Unlimited International Text. This plan is available for new and existing customers and includes:

•      30-day plan
  •      100 minutes of Canada-wide Talk
  •      Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  •      +Bonus 250 MB with AutoPay
  •      Voicemail and Call Display

How to Get This Offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the ready-made plan “$15 for 100 minutes and Unlimited Text”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the ready-made plan “$15 for 100 minutes and Unlimited Text”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Spoiler

Question

Answer

What does and does not use my minutes?

Uses Minutes

Doesn’t Use Minutes

Making a call

Answering a call

Retrieving or leaving voicemail messages

Using call forwarding

Calling *611 (the IVR)

Making or receiving calls from 911

Using wifi calling apps when connected to Wifi

Will you notify me when I’m almost out of minutes?

Yes, you will get an SMS message from Public Mobile when you 10 minutes left in your plan.

If I don’t have any minutes left, but I have a voicemail message, how do I check my voicemail?

There are two ways you can check your voicemail.

1. From a landline or another mobile phone, dial your 10-digit phone number and press the * key to interrupt the system greeting. From here, you may need enter your voicemail password.
  2. You can purchase a long distance Add-On such as the 200 minutes Add-On that allows you to call to Canada and the US for $8. Note, the minutes in the Add-On will rollover to your next billing cycle.

Do I have to purchase a Long Distance Add-On to get more than 100 minutes?

Yes, you need a Long Distance Add-On to get more minutes added to your plan. If you often use more than 100 minutes per 30 days, we recommend one of our plans with unlimited talk.

If I purchase a Long Distance Add-On, will my calls use up my Add-On minutes or my in-plan minutes?

Making a Call to someone in Canada

Making a Call to someone outside of Canada

Answering a Call from Anywhere in the World

In Canada

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes.

Requires Long Distance Add-On. The Long Distance countries we support can be found here.  

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes

In U.S.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. Aside from calls to Canada, you will only be able to make calls to people in the U.S. and its territories.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. You will only be able to receive calls from people in Canada or the US and its territories.

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling in Canada, your call will use your in-plan minutes first.

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling outside of Canada, your call will use your Long Distance Add-On minutes (as long as the location you’re calling is accessible through your Long Distance Add-On).

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

473 REPLIES 473

DmcDohko
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you @CalgaryBen , appreciate the further insight and confirmation for iphone users!

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Howiepm wrote:

Hi new member but not a Public customer yet.

My wife is with Telus at the moment. She is on the $10 talk and Text plan. No data.

I know Public is part of Telus do you think they will match this plan?

Am I better off switch to this $15? Also would like to know if it is against forum rule to ask for referal?

Thanks

The Public Mobile plan includes much more for only $5 additional.

If she is on Telus Starter 10, that includes:

50 minutes and 50 "incoming/outgoing" sms/mms messages

Telus prepaid Texting 15 has:

no minutes (pay-per-use)

unlimited messsaging

Public Moible $10 plan includes;

50 minutes

50 ougoing text/unlimited incoming texts

Public Mobile $15 plan includes:

100 minutes

unlimited messaging (sms/mms)

Even if we don't factor in autopay discount and bonuses, Public Mobile's plans are better at both price points.

At the $10 price at Public Mobile, you'd be gaining unlimited incoming text messages, and at the $15 price, you'd be gaining 100 caling minutes.

After Autopay (preauthorized payments) are factored in , you would get a $2 discount per 30 days at Public Mobile, but on the $15 plan, you'll also get 250MB of data.

Yes --it's a no brainer PM is the best --  offering very attractive and reasonably priced  plans. However as I said in a previous post the following saying may apply " give a mouse some milk and it will ask for a cookie". Have noticed that most -including myself-- seem to like the game of trying to get as low a price as we can -- Let's face it just buying a medium Tim's coffee and a sweet costs more then $3 that we are willing to pay a few times each month, while we chat in this forum complaining about 2 or 3 $$$.  

I'm so glad that after more then 10 years with bell I discovered PM and switched to the very reasonable $30 plan with 1GB data - that allows Internet access wherever I am to be able to compare item prices and save save save. (And more savings -- the $30 plan has been reduced to $25)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BEER wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@BEER wrote:

@pweidman wrote:

I have just switched from the well researched CHEAPEST plan in Canada (speakout 7-11). I was paying $10/month. I had 100 MB of data and 25¢/min pay as you go call & outgoing text. I was on it for over 10 years. It suited my needs.  This random deal that showed up on Google made me make the switch. Thanks Public Mobile!

WOW !!!!! That seems like a very expensive plan - unless you never used it and just kept paying $10/month JUST  in case of an emergency. Just a simple text conversation --for eg. 1. where are you 2.at the store. 3. buy some milk 4. ok    would cost you $1.00

If you oly intend to use your phone for emergencies then Bell has a $5/month plan.  Hope this helps.

Bell Prepaid $5/month Minutes Anytime local 10 minutes Text messages3

Define emergency use....

Unexpected situation requiring immediate attention - such for example - stranded with a flat tire or out of gas or you get seperated in a mall or you may need to call 911 etc.  

911 is available on any modern cell phone whether activated or not.

BEER

@wetcoaster wrote:

@BEER wrote:

@pweidman wrote:

I have just switched from the well researched CHEAPEST plan in Canada (speakout 7-11). I was paying $10/month. I had 100 MB of data and 25¢/min pay as you go call & outgoing text. I was on it for over 10 years. It suited my needs.  This random deal that showed up on Google made me make the switch. Thanks Public Mobile!

WOW !!!!! That seems like a very expensive plan - unless you never used it and just kept paying $10/month JUST  in case of an emergency. Just a simple text conversation --for eg. 1. where are you 2.at the store. 3. buy some milk 4. ok    would cost you $1.00

If you oly intend to use your phone for emergencies then Bell has a $5/month plan.  Hope this helps.

Define emergency use....

Unexpected situation requiring immediate attention - such for example - stranded with a flat tire or out of gas or you get seperated in a mall or you may need to call 911 etc.  

@Howiepm wrote:

My wife is with Telus at the moment. She is on the $10 talk and Text plan. No data.

Am I better off switch to this $15? Also would like to know if it is against forum rule to ask for referal?

Thanks

The Public Mobile plan includes much more for only $5 additional.

If she is on Telus Starter 10, that includes:

50 minutes and 50 "incoming/outgoing" sms/mms messages

Telus prepaid Texting 15 has:

no minutes (pay-per-use)

unlimited messsaging

Public Moible $10 plan includes;

50 minutes

50 ougoing text/unlimited incoming texts

Public Mobile $15 plan includes:

100 minutes

unlimited messaging (sms/mms)

Even if we don't factor in autopay discount and bonuses, Public Mobile's plans are better at both price points.

At the $10 price at Public Mobile, you'd be gaining unlimited incoming text messages, and at the $15 price, you'd be gaining 100 caling minutes.

After Autopay (preauthorized payments) are factored in , you would get a $2 discount per 30 days at Public Mobile, but on the $15 plan, you'll also get 250MB of data.

@Howiepm wrote:

Thanks

If you are talking about the $10 500 mins grandfather plan at Telus, I am on that. PM does not do price matching AFAIK. Even if you are on the regular $10 talk & text 50/50 the PM plan is better pricewise because 1. PM charges $2 less 2. all incoming text are free, so it is like getting double the text messages.

The sacrifice is support... only available online, which does have its downside if you need help in a pinch.... PM support is not top notch... waiting days for support is not uncommon. But when all works, you save a bundle, especially if you get referrals, get community rewards, loyalty rewards the longer you are here, etc... it all adds up.

And you can request referrals.

Forgot to add- $15 is good if you need lots of texting... remember for minutes you can manage your extra minutes by buying an 200 or 400 minute add-on which costs 4¢/min or less and the add-on never expire.

HTH.

Howiepm
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks

@BEER wrote:

@pweidman wrote:

Define emergency use....

For my grasp of emergency use on a real cell line, Speak out still can't be beat, IMO.

$25 minimum top up lasts 365 days. They do charge $1.25/month service charge, gives you $10 for calls ($10=28minutes) and texts ($10=66 outgoing texts, incoming is free, MMS will need the data bucket as mentioned) as  pay as you go prepaid. If you need slightly more, just top up again.

Anything more than keeping your phone in the glove box, any Public Mobile plan is beating SpeakOut's offerings these days. (Yeah, I can finally compare Granny Smith apples to Ambrosia apples!)

Public Mobile: $13 for 100 Canada wide minutes, unlimited international texts and 250Mb. (With auto pay) additional minutes: $0.04 

SpeakOut: $20 for 100 Canada wide minutes and unlimited Canada wide texts. Additional minutes: $0.35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BEER wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@BEER 

I've seen you mention that a couple times now. So I went to have a look.

You didn't say it was but...it's not prepaid like here. They'll charge overages for more than 10 minutes. They charge pay as you go for all texts. So then it's really more like a post-paid plan.

The lower cost LD add-on here is about $0.04 per minute...not $0.50. And that's just local not North America.

So sure...$5 for a few minutes of calling and basically nothing else. Or wait for your extra charges after the fact.

Was just a suggestion and though it may help - and by the way it's definately prepaid - And YES PM 's $10 and $15 are better and that's obvious as to why I switched like you to PM.

Certainly. Always good to be helpful with ideas. I had a bunch of other questions and then realized it was all way off topic. 🙂 Yup...lovin' Public Mobile.

BEER

@Anonymous wrote:

@BEER 

You didn't say it was but...it's not prepaid like here. They'll charge overages for more than 10 minutes. They charge pay as you go for all texts. So then it's really more like a post-paid plan.

The lower cost LD add-on here is about $0.04 per minute...not $0.50. And that's just local not North America.

So sure...$5 for a few minutes of calling and basically nothing else. Or wait for your extra charges after the fact.

Was just a suggestion and though it may help - and by the way it's definately prepaid - And YES PM 's $10 and $15 are better and that's obvious as to why I switched like you to PM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BEER 

BEER

@pweidman wrote:

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@DmcDohko wrote:

Already read through that thread but I was looking for more conclusive answers for iphones - I don't want to set it up and then find out it doesn't work.

If you're referring to extending the number of rings or changing the VM number, described in this post, I just tested on my iPhones and it works.  You don't need to enter the "+" (but you can, by holding down 0 until + shows up).  So, in Alberta, I dialed **61*15875804001*11*20# to configure VM after 20 seconds (default) -- Find your local VM access number here.  Also note that this isn't a "call" when you hit Send... it's a registration on the network, so it won't consume minutes.

If you want to disable calls getting to VM altogether, you can enter a bogus number and extend the rings (e.g. dial **61*11111111111*11*30#).  In this example, a caller would get 30 seconds of ringing, and then hear a "Call cannot be completed..." type message before being dropped (and not consuming any of your plan's minutes).

You can even store the dial strings above (e.g. **61*15875804001*11*20#) as a contact (e.g. "VM - Restore Settings"), if you find yourself switching this feature from time to time.

Another way to address your concern about consuming minutes to retrieve VM is to install Hangouts or Voico on your iPhone (Voico is easier), and once you've confirmed your number (via SMS), dialing out will show the Caller ID as your number (but not consume plan minutes), so you can call the voicemail number (###-580-4001) using Voico or Hangouts and it'll treat you as if you called from the cell phone itself.  On iPhones, getting Hangouts to work with your number is possible, but necessitates you configuring/verifying on an Android device (or as I did, I installed an emulator on my PC and verified/enabled that way, and then it started working on my iPhone).

pweidman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

BEER

Yet another great deal from PM that will add to the stampede away from Bell Mobility.  Since I started spreading the word about PM more then 8 of my friends have left Bell but unfortunately not all used my number as a referral, but no matter I’m happy with my PM account.

nahidul

Greetings.

i was just looking at the chatr wireless with unlimited incoming calls. That would be great.

@DmcDohko wrote:

It's a pretty nice light weight plan and I'm considering getting some people on it but I'm concerned about the usage of minutes...

What concerns me the most is if people leave voicemail messages, and you don't bother to go in and check them, will it still automatically detract from your allotted minutes?

Is there any way to disable the voicemail or make sure it doesn't "steal" minutes from the plan? I've been searching through various past threads and there doesn't seem to be clear answers. Some say there are methods with android, but I'm interested for iphone.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any current/tested working methods for iphone users.

Take a look at this reply regarding minute usage and voicemail:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Get-Unlimited-Text-and-100-mins-of-Talk...

Take a look at this reply regarding different ways to manage or turn off voicemail:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-Disable-Voicemail/m-p/338523...

DmcDohko

Already read through that thread but I was looking for more conclusive answers for iphones - I don't want to set it up and then find out it doesn't work. Regardless, thanks for the help @mimmo !

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DmcDohko wrote:

@mimmobut it says it uses minutes even with call forwarding - it wouldn't count if it's a non existant number? (anyone actually tried this and can confirm it works?)

Check out this thread? 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Disable-Voicemail/m-p/178587#M53620

DmcDohko

@mimmobut it says it uses minutes even with call forwarding - it wouldn't count if it's a non existant number? (anyone actually tried this and can confirm it works?)

@bh90210 wrote:

would be nice if it came with 200 or 300 minutes.

Some people will never be happy...

- The included 250MB allows you to use a VoIP service like fongo etc, or call features on messengers like Hangouts, TextNow, WhatsApp, Skype etc...

- Long Distance Add-on minutes don't expire until used up, and cost $0.04 ($8/200minutes) or $0.0375 ($15/400), pretty good deal if you only occasionally go over 100 minutes.

And last but not least: For $10 more you get unlimited Canada wide minutes, unlimited international texts and 1GB of data. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Get-500-MB-500-MB-AutoPay-bonus-at-3G-s...

Edit: ninja'd by @mimmo (his message wasn't there when I started typing and getting my facts together...)

mimmo

You could get unlimited anfmd 750 MG of data by getting the 25$plan or just buy long distance addon 15$ for 400 Minutes.

Chatr has a similar plan with unlimited incoming calls, but charges for retrieving voicemail I believe. 

bh90210

would be nice if it came with 200 or 300 minutes.

mimmo

Try changing the forwarded number to a non existant number. 

@DmcDohko wrote:

It's a pretty nice light weight plan and I'm considering getting some people on it but I'm concerned about the usage of minutes...

What concerns me the most is if people leave voicemail messages, and you don't bother to go in and check them, will it still automatically detract from your allotted minutes?

Is there any way to disable the voicemail or make sure it doesn't "steal" minutes from the plan? I've been searching through various past threads and there doesn't seem to be clear answers. Some say there are methods with android, but I'm interested for iphone.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any current/tested working methods for iphone users.

DmcDohko

luckee7

The Fido plan has zero minutes. So how is this better?

luckee7

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

To all those who are quoting plans for other carriers, I really do appreciate the information.  That's what I like about this community - its openness to all information.

I am of the "give me all information so I can make my own decision" camp.  I like to weigh numerous aspects such as personal finances, geography, others' opinions/experiences, carrier history, etc... when I make an informed decision.  Based on this, many of my acquaintances and friends ask me for a good cell phone provider.  Right now, PM is the one!

This may change in the future, but from what I have read and experienced it will take quite a bit from other carriers/providers to change this opinion.

frank312

great one, I will get one for my family, thx PM

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Deathprince wrote:

Great I switched from $10 to this one upon renewal. If I already have autopay, it should automatically switched too right??

Yes. Autopay is on the account...not the plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.