cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exciting changes to our brand and customer experience

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Note: Please clear your cache to optimize your experience on our portals.

Hey Community,

We’ve got some exciting news to share with you!

As you may have noticed already (sorry – hard to hide this one :)) we’ve updated our look! From a new logo, new colours, to fresh, fun illustrations- we got a makeover. Why? Because, we’ve been on a journey since 2015, and we’ve learned a LOT along the way. Our recent research, suggested our brand identity didn’t accurately reflect our mission: Public Mobile is the wireless company with you in mind. We didn’t name ourselves Public Mobile by accident after all. Everything we do – from offering the most affordable phone plans in Canada on the largest network, to rewards that save you even more, to this online community run by passionate customers is with you in mind.

And so, this new design truly embodies the personal, unique, simple and community first approach that Public Mobile stands for.  We hope you like the changes as much as we do. But that’s not all, beyond the makeover, we’ve also been hard at work working on some new initiatives that we think you’ll be pretty stoked for and are a long time in the making:

1.     New ticketing resolution process – yes you read that right, it’s coming! More details to come this week (as this in itself warrants its own full Community post) but essentially, this process will make it faster + easier to track, manage, and resolve issues when submitting a ticket to our online Moderator team.

1.   System improvements  - over the coming weeks, we’re excited to bring through a variety of system improvements. First up is an improvement to our latency and reliability of our web portals, meaning faster loading speeds in Self-Serve and fewer occasions of activation issues related to timing out. We’re also doing some fat trimming and are saying goodbye to our build your own plan calculator. While we love the flexibility of our plan calculator, the tradeoff is the ability to reduce pressure on our systems, help the general upkeep of our portals, and simplify the plan purchasing experience for customers. We know some plans can only be accessed via the plan calculator today, we plan (pun intended ;)) to bring some of those options  back in the near future! Lastly, as you're likely aware, we transitioned to refer-a-friend codes a few weeks ago to better protect your privacy and make referring easy 🙂

We can’t wait to hear what you think about all this goodness and are thrilled to deliver initiatives like #1 and #2 to simplify and improve the customer experience. We know we have more to tackle and are absolutely committed to continuing to make wireless simple, uncomplicated and accessible to all Canadians. Why? Because you’re the public, we’re for you.

Sincerely,

Dave

210 REPLIES 210

Hi @JanP   Glad we some positive review here.   

I have to admit PM is not perfect.  But all providers have problem here and there. So, I think the service they provide is acceptable.  

JanP
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Telus' plans are way too expensive and getting service is a nightmare in my experience. They 'accidentally' cut off both my home phone AND my cell phone (I've never even been late with a payment in decades) and kept blaming me. I went to a neighbours daily for 4 hours of waiting and being transferred etc and eventually gave up after a full week of trying to get them to fix what they broke - so I dumped them. Public is great even though it is part of telus. I was ready to go to smoke signals or tin cans and string or something as that would have been an improvement. 🙂

JanP

I have never had a problem with Public in 3 or so years. Issues are fixed promptly.

Hchlebek
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes, I have a bad feeling about them too!

Chris-a

Annotation 2019-09-15 181351.png

Why? for exactly reasons like this. PM is so buggy I don't even know where to start. I was willing to look past that when I could get the speed I wanted with the data I wanted for a much better price than the other companies and be able to build a plan as I need/want it. Now that I can't do any of that, I will end up wondering if I'll have service tomorrow, or in 30 days, or 60 days... Or will my plan actually expire one day before it should, like the overview page says. That snip was from 6:13pm MST. Long before the cut off. 

Grandfathered Plans have an indefinite duration. They'll continue until they're Terminated (after 90 days of non-payment and Suspension), or the customer changes to some other Plan, or PM stops doing business. 

Many people still retain Plans and deals from years ago. 

Many people have switched to other Plans because of better value (mostly because Data allocations keep on increasing).  They chose to get more or pay less with some other Plan (which often itself became grandfathered the next time PM restructured their Plan offers).

As far as I'm aware, PM has only shutdown grandfathered Plans once or twice. The first was last year, with their ancient "Pioneer" Plans being replaced by "equivalent" Plans but losing access to their exclusive (but underused and unsustainable) Call Center. The second was last year's botched Koodo promo-migration deal(s) which forced customers to abandon their PM Plans - and caused a lot of unhappiness to those who came back to PM after (briefly) being enticed to join Koodo. My understanding is that even the oldest of legacy Plans (from before 2013) are still maintained for customers who stubbornly refused to abandon or relinquish them.  PM's promises are just promises but PM's track record is actually not too bad overall. 

My logic is that even if I lose a grandfathered Plan to some sort of random PM/Telus treachery later on, I'll still  get to enjoy my good deal from PM for at least a few years. Nothing lasts forever so why worry too much about when it's going to end. 

Chris-a

Indeed, I understand they are one in the same, along with Koodo. That said, I won't go with Telus either at this point, Telus pre-paid plans are horrible and I have no interest in a contract.  

Hchlebek

Public Mobile is owned by Telus. That answers most questions like that. They want you to leave PM and sign up with Telus.

Chris-a

So no more plan builder and no more LTE (that isn't throttled to 3G speeds)? 

How long  will these effected plans be grandfathered? Shortly after I started with public mobile they were retiring plans from 1-2yrs previous... How will I find out when they are no longer going to be available? Am I going to have to log in here? or a banner on the self-serve page? Do I have a year? 2? Will these plans slowly become throttled? I know what speedtest is, live near a telus tower and am not afraid to use them! 😉 lol! 

To be blunt, I won't be sticking around to wait for a phone with no connection. So how long do I have? 

@KamWest wrote:

I would be happy if I could just put my 4 lines under one login, having to login 4 times is absurd.

Try 8 or 9. I had up to 12 at one point.

Poogzley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@KamWest wrote: I would be happy if I could just put my 4 lines under one login, having to login 4 times is absurd.

@KamWest @Dave_M @Alan_K I agree this would be wonderful!

KamWest

@Poogzley wrote:

@Dave_M wrote:

New ticketing resolution process – yes you read that right, it’s coming! More details to come this week (as this in itself warrants its own full Community post) but essentially, this process will make it faster + easier to track, manage, and resolve issues when submitting a ticket to our online Moderator team.

It's been a while and still didn't see an update on the "New ticketing resolution process"...

I would be happy if I could just put my 4 lines under one login, having to login 4 times is absurd.

Poogzley

@Dave_M wrote:

New ticketing resolution process – yes you read that right, it’s coming! More details to come this week (as this in itself warrants its own full Community post) but essentially, this process will make it faster + easier to track, manage, and resolve issues when submitting a ticket to our online Moderator team.

It's been a while and still didn't see an update on the "New ticketing resolution process"...

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kav2001c wrote:

PS you love to tag me into these threads don't ya Cat LOL

@kav2001c I do!  And I still disagree with you, for the record.  The mechanics may be a bit different but they're both extra data above and beyond your plan, and the pricing structure is noticably different, in favour (in the vast majority of times) of Public Mobile's model.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Nicko343

Cool, much respect 

CellGirl

@Dave_M 

love the new website colours Woman Very Happy

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cristian wrote:

Thanks @pm-smayer97. Just one more question please. The add-on, is it a one time purchase or is it recursive? I hope it's the former. Thank you.

Any Canadian Add on stays on your Account till used up as long as you account is active.  Also always your Plan Features will be used first and if your plan features are all used up then it will dip into the Canadian Add ons if you have them. 

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@GR wrote:

@MoreYummy   anytime from now to next Friday!  I have 7 accounts and some got it a few days ago, some at the beginning of the week and 1 yesterday 

Why is Public Mobile so inconsistence with this type of thing? Addressing these types of small glitches or whatnots you would think would be more important than redesigning there website.

@MoreYummy   anytime from now to next Friday!  I have 7 accounts and some got it a few days ago, some at the beginning of the week and 1 yesterday 

When is it going to be implemented?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cristian wrote:

Thanks @pm-smayer97. Just one more question please. The add-on, is it a one time purchase or is it recursive? I hope it's the former. Thank you.

One time purchase. It doesn't have to do with any 30 or 90 days...it's just on your account ready and waiting for you to run out of any plan data and then kicks in and it uses the add-on. Then when you renew your plan data, it steps back and lets the plan data take over and waits again for if and when you run out of plan data again.

cristian

@cristian wrote:

@GinYVR Thanks for the response, much appreciated. 

If I understand this correctly, I can no longer modify my base (grandfathered) plan at this time, so I am stuck with the 1G/month and if I need more I need to buy an add-on. 

OK, looked at the add-ons, it's $30 for 1G. That's quite a bit, but ...how does it work? Is the data purchased through an add-on carried over if unused at the end of my 90 day payment cycle? Thank you.

The 1G Data Add-on works on its own 30-day cycle. Any unused portion keeps rolling over indefinitely until all of it is used up.

cristian

@GinYVR Thanks for the response, much appreciated. 

If I understand this correctly, I can no longer modify my base (grandfathered) plan at this time, so I am stuck with the 1G/month and if I need more I need to buy an add-on. 

OK, looked at the add-ons, it's $30 for 1G. That's quite a bit, but ...how does it work? Is the data purchased through an add-on carried over if unused at the end of my 90 day payment cycle? Thank you.

cory_c

I understand, but what is the average vacation time spent away? For some it may be 7 days yet for others 10, 14 or 21 days. Personally, I would like to stick with one provider but the issue at hand is the renewal procedure which from comments given, often indicates that one can not renew. Anyway, it's a suggestion that has been repeated and maybe one day it will happen.

@cory_c wrote:

What I would like PM to improve is US Roaming talk, text, data plans by adding the ability to 'pre-set' travel dates so that the plan does not expire before one returns.

@cory_c  Great idea but judging by the pace of change at Public I wouldn't hold my breadth. Maybe if they  just fix the "texts not working for 24 hours upon return" problem that would be great. If you are going to be down there for more than 10 days then IMHO best to consider purchasing a local sim.

cory_c

What I would like PM to improve is US Roaming talk, text, data plans by adding the ability to 'pre-set' travel dates so that the plan does not expire before one returns.

@Nicko343 wrote:

Did you top up your account?

if your account is updated and in good standing order contact PM for clarification etc

@Nicko343 

In this thread, you have replied to 4 different people without quoting anyone or directing the message to a specific user. This make it impossible for most memebers to figure out who you are trying to have a discussion with.  It also limits the usefullness of such messages without knowing the context of such replies.

Nicko343

Did you top up your account?

if your account is updated and in good standing order contact PM for clarification etc

Nicko343

Am with you ooo 

Need Help? Let's chat.