cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: A Letter from Dave: Looking back on 2019 and our 2020 goals

@TmainPMcommunit wrote:

Giving free sim card during these promos would make it easy to attract more customers

There was a recent promo that did that. Some stores give them when you activate with them.

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Good to know that PM is committed to serving its customers. Glad we made the switch

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It's truly refreshing to hear an honest self-review!! Thank-you.  😊

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Being fairly new to PM, I definitely appreciate the freebies given out in the "More is Merrier" campaign, and the various ways that us non-power users can save a buck around here, but I do have some items on my personal wish-list:

1.) It'd be nice if accessing something as commonly used as voicemail didn't count against our available outgoing minutes(on the $15 plan).

2.) The server(s) that run this system need some more bandwidth, and/or hardware upgrades, because when there's a lot of activity, such as the aforementioned freebies being available, access to our accounts bogs down something terrible.

and

3.) This is THE big one for me..... it'd be nice if Telus could boost the strength of their(and in turn, PM's) signal, because in the area where we live, although we're within the area's coverage map, my signal to PM, and previously on Lucky, is rather crappy, whereas the signal via Rogers' system is quite good. Of course, once I leave home, it's fine, but while at home, the reception is VERY spotty. Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@CannonFodder wrote:

1.) It'd be nice if accessing something as commonly used as voicemail didn't count against our available outgoing minutes(on the $15 plan).

Note: ALL service providers use minutes when accessing VM from your own cell phone.

That said, you can access your VM for free if you access it from ANY phone OTHER than your own. The simplest is to just dial your number (you can also dial the local VM access # but you would have to remember it). When you hear your outgoing message, press * (or it could be #; I tend to forget which) and you will be prompted to enter your VM password. Your minutes will not be used up this way.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@CannonFodder wrote:

3.) ..... it'd be nice if Telus could boost the strength of their(and in turn, PM's) signal, because in the area where we live, although we're within the area's coverage map, my signal to PM, and previously on Lucky, is rather crappy, whereas the signal via Rogers' system is quite good.

You can access (call) your Voicemail from any phone by dialing your own number. You can choose "Rapid Prompts" from the Voicemail menus to speed up the computer babble. Not perfect workarounds but at least they help consume fewer of your calling minutes. 

And you can purchase the $5 500 minute Canada-wide Calling Add-on. Not free but $0.01 per minute isn't likely to break the bank, it's a LOT (>8 hours) of voicemail. 

Public Mobile is based on the Telus network. And Telus has a network sharing agreement with Bell (and SaskTel, etc) - so to consumers they're functionally one big Canada-wide network with the same signal strength and quality of service (or lack thereof) everywhere.

You might just live in one of those weird areas where Rogers has better coverage (better network hardware) than Telus+Bell.

But you can also try using a different phone - your phone hardware and software could be better optimized for Rogers radio frequencies - your phone battery or firmware/software might be elderly enough to get awful signal on every network. 

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

While I continue to support Public Mobile by referring family and friends, especially the elders and the "light" mobile users in my family, my main mobile line is still with Virgin Mobile.  As a frequent traveller, I'm not happy with Virgin's lack of reasonalbly priced roaming plans either, but at least it allows international roaming in the event of an emergency.  I know international roaming for PM will not happen overnight, but for the existing US roaming capability, Public Mobile could maybe improve the range of service offered:

1.  Please make available a plan that offers services in both US and Canada for snowbirds.  

2.  Give us more roaming add-on options:  perhaps a 30/60/90-day roaming option or an option allowing the 10-day roaming add-on to automatically renew!  One can add another 10-day roaming after the existing one expires, but it's more hassle, doesn't ensure continuous service, and users have reported issues. 

RoamMobility could be an option but I think everyone would prefer not having to change their number, so even at a slight higher cost, existing PM customers would pick PM over RoamMobility or other lower cost options for US Roaming.

Otherwise, keep up the good work and cheers to a more succesful 2020 !!

Highlighted

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

Note: ALL service providers use minutes when accessing VM from your own cell phone.

That said, you can access your VM for free if you access it from ANY phone OTHER than your own. The simplest is to just dial your number (you can also dial the local VM access # but you would have to remember it). When you hear your outgoing message, press * (or it could be #; I tend to forget which) and you will be prompted to enter your VM password. Your minutes will not be used up this way.

Well sure, on the low cost plans, such as the $15 one I'm currently on, but most other plans don't.

As for checking VM via another phone, yes, I've read that here before, but thanks for the heads-up anyway.

Highlighted

@Korth wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

3.) ..... it'd be nice if Telus could boost the strength of their(and in turn, PM's) signal, because in the area where we live, although we're within the area's coverage map, my signal to PM, and previously on Lucky, is rather crappy, whereas the signal via Rogers' system is quite good.

Public Mobile is based on the Telus network. And Telus has a network sharing agreement with Bell (and SaskTel, etc) - so to consumers they're functionally one big Canada-wide network with the same signal strength and quality of service (or lack thereof) everywhere.

You might just live in one of those weird areas where Rogers has better coverage (better network hardware) than Telus+Bell.

But you can also try using a different phone - your phone hardware and software could be better optimized for Rogers radio frequencies - your phone battery or firmware/software might be elderly enough to get awful signal on every network. 

Yes, I'm aware of the Telus + Bell network, and yes, I'm pretty sure this area, although within the coverage area of Telus + Bell, has better reception via Rogers' network, i.e. I've tried my wife's SIM in my phone, and reception IS better, at least while at home.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@chad2001 wrote:
I know international roaming for PM will not happen overnight, but... 

1.  Please make available a plan that offers services in both US and Canada for snowbirds.  

2.  Give us more roaming add-on options

I think PM's old $60 Plan had Unlimited Canada & US Talk. And Unlimited Canada & US Talk was an option on the plan builder, albeit I do recall being unimpressed with the price. But I guess demand for (or profit from) these Talk options weren't sustainable.

I notice that PM inherits its international calling and long-distance packages from parent Telus packages. But PM also has some sort of arrangement with AT&T (USA) which Telus lacks, probably where they get their US Talk/Data. I suppose it might be possible for PM to approach Verizon, T-Mobile, etc - to expand their North America roaming packages or to negotiate lower USA roaming prices - if they're not already locked into some sort of AT&T agreement. But I don't think it would be financialky reasonable for PM to negotiate with foreign carriers in multiple countries unless they could reasonably expect enough customers would buy the options. I also doubt PM has a lot of leeway to exceed what their Telus parent companies offer, the Big Three don't like to rock the money boat or cannibalize their own brands.