Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: A Letter from Dave: Looking back on 2019 and our 2020 goals

@pm-smayer97 wrote

A bit of trivia for you:

I know most people think and speak as if a decade ends when the year rolls over to a year ending in '0' BUT in fact it technically does not.

Think about it... what is the reference year for the first year of our calendar? (hint: it is not '0' (zero)).

Smiley Wink

This argument went on and on at 1999/2000. I finally decided that 2000 years later it didn't matter if tge celebration was only really 1999 years in, the thing we noticed the most in our day to day lives was the change from the year beginning with 1(999) to 2(000) so time to celebrate! Everyone was free to celebrate again a year later.

AE_Collector

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@AE_Collector wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote

A bit of trivia for you:

I know most people think and speak as if a decade ends when the year rolls over to a year ending in '0' BUT in fact it technically does not.

Think about it... what is the reference year for the first year of our calendar? (hint: it is not '0' (zero)).

Smiley Wink

This argument went on and on at 1999/2000. I finally decided that 2000 years later it didn't matter if tge celebration was only really 1999 years in, the thing we noticed the most in our day to day lives was the change from the year beginning with 1(999) to 2(000) so time to celebrate! Everyone was free to celebrate again a year later.

AE_Collector

It was a ridiculous argument then and still is. Isn't it like midnight? The infinitesimal moment after midnight is the zero starting point. Or think of it in digital. 0 is the starting unit.

Whatever to going back to the calendar of the day. It's been butchered by various emperors and popes since then.

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@z10user4 wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote

A bit of trivia for you:

Smiley Wink

AE_Collector

It was a ridiculous argument then and still is. Isn't it like midnight? The infinitesimal moment after midnight is the zero starting point. Or think of it in digital. 0 is the starting unit.

Whatever to going back to the calendar of the day. It's been butchered by various emperors and popes since then.

Actually, it is not like midnight. Midnight is like the zero pt BUT there is no equivalent on the calendar. Anyway, don't want to dissect it or belabour it. Just wanted to point out the trivia... it's called trivia because it is trivial ;-) 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@sheytoon wrote:

As you may or may not know, Bell and Telus are deploying new sites with LTE only. Your customers in these areas will see full bars on their phones, but will not be able to make any calls.

I don't understand the problem. 

Isn't LTE back-compatible with 4G (which is itself back-compatible with 3G)?

And isn't "3G" on Public (and Telus) already being provided through LTE hardware?

Why would "LTE only" sites which don't support normal voice calls even be deployed? Are they perhaps just meant to increase QoS and density of mobile data while being blanketed within voice-calling coverage provided by other nearby sites? 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Korth Telus and Bell are deploying LTE only because they don't want to invest in obsolete technology.

Don't forget, PM's "3G" plans, can use 3G and LTE for data. All PM plans must use 3G for voice.

Keep in mind 4G is really LTE, 3G is UMTS/HSPA. They are independent technologies. Your phone can only use one at a time.

I don't know what you mean by backward compatibility or LTE hardware.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@will13am when the day comes that Telus and Bell decide to turn off one of the 3G bands, we will likely see VoLTE on PM. That's probably still a few years away unfortunately.

My hope is they do the right thing and launch it sooner.

Highlighted

@Korth wrote:

I don't understand the problem. 

Isn't LTE back-compatible with 4G (which is itself back-compatible with 3G)?

And isn't "3G" on Public (and Telus) already being provided through LTE hardware?

Why would "LTE only" sites which don't support normal voice calls even be deployed? Are they perhaps just meant to increase QoS and density of mobile data while being blanketed within voice-calling coverage provided by other nearby sites? 

The problem is how for Public Mobile customers will not be able to make or receive any phone calls in these locations.

Voice calls can be made on LTE, just not at Public Mobile.

The matter being discussed here is places where there is no UMTS coverage.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's announcement!

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

great job very happy with public mobile service keep up the great work

Highlighted

@CalebK wrote:

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's announcement!

With this being hype up with a pre-annoucement, I hope that it's good!  Unfortunately, we'll have to wait until tomorrow monring to find out what's happening.