Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Letter from Dave: Looking back on 2019 and our 2020 goals

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community, 

As we enter the final month of the year (and decade!) I wanted to take the time to reflect on what a year it’s been. I also wanted to thank you all for another great year. Public Mobile could not be where it is today without you, our customers. 

We kicked off the year focused on your wishlist from 2018

• Faster Moderator response times
  • Improved ticketing process
  • Additional goodness from SIMon

Since last year, we’ve beefed up our Community support and brought response times down from days to minutes, getting you connected to Moderators faster. Our virtual assistant SIMon is also now better equipped to support you: SIMon has resolved 70% of all issues without needing a Moderator, and houses our new streamlined ticketing process, which helps you get better and faster support. All this progress wouldn’t be possible without you, our passionate Community. Thank you to those who have helped us identify these issues, test our systems, and provide feedback. While this progress is good, our journey is far from over. I encourage you to continue to provide feedback to help us build a better service for you.  

We recognize that you are at the heart of everything we do, which is why we’ve refocused our brand promise. Our new motto “we’re for you” isn’t just for looks, we want to make sure you’re at the center of our systems, promotions, and even campaigns. We’ve been putting that into action, from free data giveaways to our #PublicMobilePDA campaign, where we broadcast the things you love on billboards across Canada! 

But 2019 wasn’t all rosy. Earlier this year many of you experienced issues with your service because, frankly, our systems just weren’t good enough. In August, we made significant improvements to ensure that this didn’t happen again. Part of this required removing our Build Your Own Plan Calculator. This wasn’t an easy decision, and we know that many of you enjoyed the flexibility of the calculator. We’ve heard that feedback and are planning to introduce some enhancements to our plans in the coming year because of it. At the end of the day, having reliable service is just table stakes, and we want to make Public Mobile the best it can be for you. We have made improvements over the last year, but we’re not done yet. 

As we continue to focus on our customers and what you want, in 2020 we’re focusing on a wishlist of things you have asked for: 

• A simpler and mobile-friendly self serve experience
  • Promotions and programs that benefit you, our valued customers
  • Continuing to ensure that our systems are best-in-class and improving the experience you have when you need to get help 
  • An enhanced Community that is easier to use and more engaging 

As we work on this wishlist in the new year, we want to do so with more transparency. Our goal is to keep you more informed on the decisions we make and why we make them. 

But, before we kick of 2020, I want to take a moment to sincerely thank you for being a loyal Public Mobile customers and a valued member of the Community. Last year, we were #LessForLess, but now we’re for you.  As December is the season of giving, we wanted to show you (in addition to telling you) how much we appreciate all you do. Make sure to check back on the Community this coming Wednesday, December 4th for a special announcement about some free gifts coming your way. 

Sincerely, 

Dave

171 REPLIES 171

@AE_Collector

It's a service industry so it revolves around dealing with customers - and revolving around endless customer complaints. People will complain about anything, especially when they think they could or they should get more. 

But "vote with your wallet" goes both ways. The phrase is basically an implied threat which makes consumers get cocky and feel empowered... but it's an empty threat because successful businesses are always happy to let certain customers take their wallets (and their bad business) elsewhere. 

@NoOffenseBut 

Telus has three cell providers now and naturally they are going to target a different part of the market with each one. Since they didn't start Public Mobile but bought it later, there were some things that they changed to make it fit where they wanted it to fit. Since it is their company there isn't much that can be done about it. In the old days when everyone was in contracts and had bought phones that would only work on the company's network that you signed up with, I can understand customers being ticked at changes forced on them. But, we all own our phones and can be gone in 30 days (max) without losing a dime. Thus there isn't much to complain about IMHO.

AE_Collector

Melch
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A suggestion.... mobile app.

@will13am wrote:

I wonder if "simpler and mobile-friendly self serve experience" means mobile app?  "Promotions and programs that benefit you, our valued customers" must include existing customers more often than in the past.  Things like augmented data, allowing existing accounts to get some of the deals that new activations get (free SIM card excepted) would be a great show of inclusiveness in the "our valued customers" adjective.  On enhanced community, what can I say, "we're here for you Public Mobile". 

@will13am wrote:

I wonder if "simpler and mobile-friendly self serve experience" means mobile app?  "Promotions and programs that benefit you, our valued customers" must include existing customers more often than in the past.  Things like augmented data, allowing existing accounts to get some of the deals that new activations get (free SIM card excepted) would be a great show of inclusiveness in the "our valued customers" adjective.  On enhanced community, what can I say, "we're here for you Public Mobile". 

@NoOffenseBut , the removal of the plan builder did remove full speed LTE but its main goal was that it increased the stability of the self-serve portal.  Everyone keeps mentioning the drop to 3G and that is where the wording needs to be better.  It is 3G speeds on LTE which for the majority of users will be fine.  Now if you are trying to stream 4K video you will have some issue.  My question is why stream 4K on a 5-6" screen?  The latency is much better on LTE and will make the 3G speeds much more usable

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

NoOffenseBut
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Quite simply, I am not sure that I would recommend anyone use PM.  Previoulsy, PM was by far the best value out there. I always used to recommend people try PM.  But now, if I had not already had the LTE plans with PM as I did have, I would never join as a new member (because I know how PM played the game) .  When you say getting rid of the option to build ones own plan improved service, that seems rather far fetched.  It occurred because Bell started Lucky Mobile and it only offered 3G plans. I suspect that Telus saw this as a way to also give less under the PM banner.  Telus most likely  forced that all PM  plans go to 3G (everything before was LTE/4G).  This then matched Lucky Mobile. Yes, these was a period when PM offered both 3G and LTE plans, but then PM dropped all LTE offers (having all that choice was great but there was another underlining plan).  Going to 3G only, is a way to encourage people to move to Koodoo or Telus itself.   So now PM users pay less and get less, where before PM Users only got less Support Service but got better plans dollar-wise.

santaclaus_real

It's a ptiy Public Mobile no longer lets you build your own plan, and no longer offers any plans with LTE data. I'll be cancelling my account as soon as I can find a suitable alternative, but the good news for you is there aren't many alternatives in Canada so I'm probably stuck with you!

I'm pretty disappointed with how Public Mobile keeps getting worse and worse, but I appreciate the free 1GB of data! It's better than the 500MB I have on my monthly plan!

Cheers!

I can never figure out what the big advantage of an App is over a web site. Minor things maybe but big advantage? Any web site can be saved to the home screen and then looks and behaves pretty much like an App.

AE_Collector

PM app isn't going to happen. 

Because it's a solution to a problem which doesn't exist. Snazzy little PM icon on your screen but what could it do that the browser scripts (on every platform) can't do just as well or better - who would actually click on it enough to justify multi-platform dev, deployment, and constant updates - and what for?

Because it costs money. PM could outsource - added costs means they cut their profits or rise their prices. Or PM could get Telus to sponsor the app - assuming Telus devs aren't already busy with Telus projects - and (popular opinion) Telus always has impressive, awesome, fast hardware but Telus also always has useless, terrible, and clunky software. 

Telus Mobility has an app. It absolutely sucks, it's useless and redundant junkware, half the time it's broken. Most Telus mobile customers (that I know) sadly joke that the only reason it's still on their phones is that it's embedded bloat that won't go away. 

Koodo used to have a similar app. Here's a post where they summarize their reasons for completely discontinuing it: 

https://community.koodomobile.com/self-serve-66723/closing-the-self-serve-app-7526616

Your SIM card and phone can already uniquely authenticate your identity, can already login to your PM Self-Serve and PM Community accounts, can already be used to msg the PM Mods or chat with Simon.

But what could a magically perfect mobile app do that a browser shortcut/favorite/bookmark on your phone cannot?

Pillowmanie

A mobile app would definitely be a great addition, considering the Community and the fact that all problem solving is done online. It would be easier to see our self-serve profile and reply to messages in the Community. 

philthunder

When to start the other big three Telus/Rogers/Bell and their subrands Koodo/Fido/Virgin will offer it and after them market for Public Mobile will be adjusted.  

kevinqqh

When PM has plan with unlimited data and calling only 50/month ............

@Pound  Expecting public mobile to offer a $10 plan with calling, texting and 1 gb of data for $10 is laughable when they already withdrew the popular 50/50 $10 plan. And you expect them to add 1gb of data?!!! That plan didnt even qualify for auto pay data it was so cheap. While I was sorry to see it go and would love to see it comeback for that low use niche market adding data to it would just draw people from the $15, $25 and $35 plans. Public mobile isnt a charity...its shareholders want to see a profit as we all do in life otherwise we would be a welfare nation. Thankful to get by on woefully inadequate social funding that keeps you alive...but barely. You would be hard pressed to find someone who is happy to be on welfare....unless they come from a place with no social services so its better than imminent death. What business wants to run on a bare bones budget?

Telus has 13 million customers  and brings in $13 billion  in annual revenue. Public mobile has 200,000 customers and has ? in revenue...even if  you took an average between high and low priced plans of $30 that would generate revenues of $6 million. With 150 employess making an average of $40k that would be $6 million in wages alone...and people wonder why there is no investment in fixing the glitches that can run rampant here. So I beg to differ....your $10 proposal would indeed lead to the end of public mobile.

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'd like to see international roaming in Q1 2020, if it's possible, at competitive rates.

Similiar to rates from Fizz would be nice actually, like $5/GB EU roaming, making it quite competitive and throwing out the question of buying a local SIM (even when local SIM is still cheaper, that those rates, I wouldn't bother just so I have my Canadian number active still).

Yes I hear you on that. I only look after two accounts so not a big deal but I used to have all my TELUS services under one account, 4 cell phones and two home phones/TV/Internet including my moms. It was to have everything together.

There has been speculation of an App in the future, that may be the change where they build in that ability. Meanwhile....

AE_Collector

KamWest

I have 4 public mobile accounts and my biggest pet peeve is that I have to log out and log back in for every account. There is an obvious drop down where the account number is.... how hard could it be to link the accounts so I could check data, funds, etc with one simple login.

James1977

Thanks Dave... I'm new to Public Mobile, just signed up yesterday.  It's so refreshing to see such a personal update from a wireless company.  Thank you

H123

Here's to a great 2020!

marcnoel

Sorry to be "that" guy, but 2020 will be the last year in the decade, if the decade started at the beginning of 2011.  Just like 1 - 10 would be a decade, so would 2001 - 2010, etc.  Granted, 2019 is the last of ten years that have a "1" as the third digit, but the first year is always number 1, not 0, so it's 1 - 10, not 0 - 9.

DL888

Awesome news...can't wait for what is store in 2020.

zfx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

One thing I would definitely want to see in 2020 is to add the international roaming functionality. (not just the U.S) 

mdgramps

Hi I'm a new bee and I have found a lot of good in the products you offer. Thanks Mark G.  

Pound

You don't have to repeat them to me. I know what are being offered, although your understanding of the word "basically" is beyond my cognition, especially on the part where I actually meant "LTE" speed. Those ready made plans are exactly the problem. While you "don't see the problem", you pointed out yourself (welcome to sit on my side) that "there should be a 2 or 3gb plan priced in the $30 to $35 range", which by the way is what exactly PM is doing at the moment; see the recurring extra 1GB on $35 or above plans. They are testing the water now. 

You talk as if you have seen their balance sheet, assuming a $10 for 1GB and some voice and texts would bankrupt PM. Well, I can assure you, it won't. What I have been saying is all about a niche, an area that is less crowded, yet big enough to support a tier 3 company like PM. 

Artiss

I look forward to 2020 with Public Mobile. Signed my family up 3 years ago and haven't looked back. Have seen great improvements with PM over the years. Appreciate the transparency of the company, and how they strive to get better. Keep up the hard word and look forward to what 2020 offers.

Fingers crossed: Visual Voicemail will be coming... PLEASE 🙂 

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Today's problems are a good example of what PM should work to change in the coming year. 

3s_Plenty

I am also new so cannot really comment on past flaws or weak areas. I do appreciate as an existing customer being offered and not left out of promo's or offers and hope that will continue.

While i get needing to attract new business it's just as important to toss the existing ones a bone. Smiley Tongue

homer

Good work Dave and your team! Hope there will be more perks for existing customers in 2020 🙂 

alphacr0m

Love this update. As a new client, I missed the difficulties earlier this year... but the tone and content of this recap and vision-cast is pretty reassuring. Looking forward to helping you be the best Public Mobile you can be!

(PS - Love the Christmas nifty gifties, too!)

mo1979ca

I know right it been a up & down year but all in all I am thankful for being more healthy and saving money with this excellent phone plan. I wish everyone a happy new year in 2020.

@Devanshsmehta wrote:

I love PM just a few things I'd like for PM to improve upon

1.its just that being able to call and talk to an actucal person for customer service would be amazing

2. Also cheaper plans and more data would be the best  

This is very unlikely. It's not in the business model.

Devanshsmehta

I love PM just a few things I'd like for PM to improve upon

1.its just that being able to call and talk to an actucal person for customer service would be amazing

2. Also cheaper plans and more data would be the best  

Need Help? Let's chat.