cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropping calls and won't send or receive texts

yuukikusanagi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have been with PM for 3 months now and my wife has been almost a year. We are both having the same issues for the past week or more now, though mine are worse than hers.

Most call are not coming through my phone (iphone 7, up to date), outgoing calls get dropped before the minute mark. Texts incoming and outgoing are not working either. Here is what I've tried after reading many threads:

-checked that the sim # matched what is on my account

-removed and reinstalled sim card

-turned on airplane mode for at least 10 seconds then turned off

-clicked airplane mode on/off multiple times to get it to reconnect

-checked that do not disturb is not on

-turned off the phone for a few minutes, then restarted

-changed preference to 3G service so it wouldn't switch back and forth between 3 and 4

-checked telus coverage map for outages in our area (none)

-checked that account is active

We have also done all these things on my wife's phone (an android) with the same results...nothing.

What else can we try? This happens at our home, out and about town, and when at work, so not all the same location, but within an hours radius.

thank you for your assistance!

9 REPLIES 9

@yuukikusanagi 

Sometimes a sim card just needs reprovisioning. A little unusual that both you and your wife needed it at the same time but maybe you both ran into the same interference that caused an issue in the first place. The southerly appearance late last week of the aurora borealis and the electro magnetic storm they spawn from could explain the higher incidence of complaints regarding reception.

Nice work on the troubleshooting your own phones normally you would have probably fixed your issues with one of those techniques.

yuukikusanagi

so after escalating the issue and waiting 4 days for a reply, they refreshed the sim card service and had me restart my phone again. I still don't know what was actually causing the issues, but it seems to be better currently. I'll give it a day or two of using the phone in various areas before I know if it is truly fixed from dropping calls.

Thank you for your help!

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@salhesteves wrote:

1) test the sim in the android again, but make sure that the network settings are correct. Too often when it comes to signal, on androids, sometimes its because the "APN" settings were not set to the proper details. When putting in sim cards, it will try to automatically connect to the network of the sim card. Bars may show, or not show, but the APN settings may default to the parent company of the sim card. Public is under Telus, and it has happened before where the settings default to Telus settings than Public. Below is a link to follow steps on the android. 

Samsung:

How to set up Access Point Name (APN) on Samsung Mobile Device? | Samsung Singapore

Pixels/LG/Motorola:

Instructions

• From the Home screen, head to Settings (pull down the notification bar and hit the gear-shaped Settings button)
  • In Settings go to Network & Internet
  • Choose Mobile network
  • Then select Access Point Names (or Advanced, then APN)
  • Choose the APN info for your carrier if it’s listed. If not available, tap ADD or +
  • Input new APN settings provided by your carrier of choice and tap SAVE
    To reset your APN settings, tap the Menu (3 dots) icon and then tap Reset to default.

Public Mobile APN Setting Details to input: 

Public Mobile 4G LTE APN Settings 2020 - 4G APN Settings

If it works in the android after trying this, then it deems an issue with the iphone. If it still doesn't work on the android, then it deems the issue being a lack of signal in that area, or a faulty sim. 

I hope these help. 

- Sal

Phone calls and text messages don't use APN settings. Signal issue is probable, but it could be on at the network or on the devices.

salhesteves

1) test the sim in the android again, but make sure that the network settings are correct. Too often when it comes to signal, on androids, sometimes its because the "APN" settings were not set to the proper details. When putting in sim cards, it will try to automatically connect to the network of the sim card. Bars may show, or not show, but the APN settings may default to the parent company of the sim card. Public is under Telus, and it has happened before where the settings default to Telus settings than Public. Below is a link to follow steps on the android. 

Samsung:

How to set up Access Point Name (APN) on Samsung Mobile Device? | Samsung Singapore

Pixels/LG/Motorola:

Instructions

• From the Home screen, head to Settings (pull down the notification bar and hit the gear-shaped Settings button)
  • In Settings go to Network & Internet
  • Choose Mobile network
  • Then select Access Point Names (or Advanced, then APN)
  • Choose the APN info for your carrier if it’s listed. If not available, tap ADD or +
  • Input new APN settings provided by your carrier of choice and tap SAVE
    To reset your APN settings, tap the Menu (3 dots) icon and then tap Reset to default.

Public Mobile APN Setting Details to input: 

Public Mobile 4G LTE APN Settings 2020 - 4G APN Settings

If it works in the android after trying this, then it deems an issue with the iphone. If it still doesn't work on the android, then it deems the issue being a lack of signal in that area, or a faulty sim. 

I hope these help. 

- Sal

@yuukikusanagi wrote:

thank you. We will try that.

@yuukikusanagi you're welcome!  I hope it works for your wife's phone.  Please let us know.

yuukikusanagi

thank you. We will try that.

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@yuukikusanagi wrote:

We have also done all these things on my wife's phone (an android) with the same results...nothing.

What else can we try? This happens at our home, out and about town, and when at work, so not all the same location, but within an hours radius.

thank you for your assistance!

Hi @yuukikusanagi for your wife's android phone, the inability to send and receive SMS-texts was due to a bad update that Google released on Android on December 2 or 3, for Carrier Services.

Google may have released a fix for that problem by now, so the first thing to try is updating again.

Read @edwardb  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Partial-service-no-texting/m-p/627...

I hope this helps at least for your wife's android phone.

Don't forget to get your free holiday gifts from Public Mobile here

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/More-is-Merrier-is-back-Free-gifts-for-...

Happy Holidays! 🎄🎄🎄

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@yuukikusanagi 

Contact a moderator:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

@yuukikusanagi 

Normally, I would say that since your wife is having problems with the service as well, that you might be ain a weak signal area, but you're seem to have already tried in multiple locations. It's  possible that the network just isn't great where you are. The odds are that aren't issues with your account and your wife's both at the same time. I haven't not heard of any widespread network issues today.  There could be some network maintenance occuring near you.

Need Help? Let's chat.