cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data use with downloaded music

GeeMac
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Anyone help with data use?

I was just out and listening to a downloaded Amazon playlist (iPhone + AirPods), but used close to 1 gig of data. Shouldn’t listening to a downloaded playlist be data-free?

I turned off cellular, but still got a data warning.

9 REPLIES 9

"Downloaded" files are stored on your device. They require no access to any data on any network, they can be accessed offline.

Amazon's usage of the word "download" is different. The only thing stored on your device is the playlist itself - basically just a list of files which are actually stored somewhere on the cloud (and which consume data each time they're streamed onto your device).

If you want to listen to a lot of music without consuming your data then the better approach is to download them onto a PC and transfer them into a music folder on your device. Or "rip" the music from CDs instead. Then playback on your device with some other audio app which isn't anchored to a subscription service/provider (like Amazon).

This won't consume cellular data (although downloading the files will consume internet data on your other machine, one time). This will fill up some storage on your device, but there should be plenty and even if there isn't you can buy cheap SD cards with lots of capacity. This has the added advantage of archiving your music files on machinery you control, where it will remain indefinitely and always be available for any other machinery you own, where it can be listened to any time you like any way you like even if you cannot connect to networks and services, even if you stop paying (over and over again) to listen to a copy of the music you already "own".

GeeMac

Thanks for the reply.  The data usage occurred when the cellular data was on. I turned it off after the first data warning, but later, with the cellular off, I got a second data warning.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Are you on Android/

Best is to check the Data Usage and see what app consumed the data.   Make sure you change the cycle start date to match your current PM cycle start date

E-MobileData.png

if you are on iPhone, you might want to download 'My Data Manager" 

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@GeeMac wrote:

I was just out and listening to a downloaded Amazon playlist (iPhone + AirPods), but used close to 1 gig of data. Shouldn’t listening to a downloaded playlist be data-free?

@GeeMac

While it is VERY strange (maybe even impossible) for data to be consumed while your cellular connection was off, this would not be a problem that pertain to PM but more to your cellphone usage.

It may be good to check to see if you can identify the times that the most data was used, based on your usage in selfserve.publicmobile.ca

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@GeeMac wrote:

@GeeMac 

Are you getting this data warning from the Data Limiter on your phone? Your phone can be set to warn you of reaching certain data used points.

What does it say on your Self Serve under the Overview TAB for what is showing left of your Data Usage. This is the most accurate measure of what data is left on your account/plan.

Overview looks something like this:

esjliv_0-1601935725902.png

Install an app to track your ‘live’ usage so you can keep track. Public Mobile are 30 day plans (not monthly).

If you are android, try this one:

Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detailsid=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use this one myself and it gives me what I need from it.

You could also check out Data counter widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roysolberg.android.datacounter&hl=en_CA&gl=US

If you are an Apple user, I am sure there is a 30-day app that is available as well.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @GeeMac 

Some devices / operating systems allow mobile data to enable when wi-fi is poor/week.  Also, there are options to make certain apps "mobile data only" as opposed to wi-fi.

Locate and find these features and make sure they're disabled.

mattthetechguy

Amazon Music data usage is known to be quite high compared to other music services. It must have been in online mode somehow. Should be a way to switch it to offline mode. That or you will just have to keep data turned off when listening to Amazon Music.

Source: Amazon Music Data Usage Explained – Canstar Blue

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@GeeMac Make sure your music app is set to Offline Listening. then it shouldn't use up data. Maybe it was playing through a playlist with partially downloaded songs? Also, 1 GB for music seems a little excessive, have you tried lowering the quality of the stream?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GeeMac 

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link to save your data...

and turn off background data, to save your data.

when your data limit used all, is will be off until next renewal cycle,

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

Need Help? Let's chat.