cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage and Facetime not working

Jennti
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Please help! I've just switched from Rogers to PM. My iMessage and Facetime stop working. iMessage and Facetime used to work with the Rogers plan (Talk & Text, no data). I left the activation run overnight without luck. I've tried all the suggestions I found in the community - still can't make them work. My plan is unlimited province Talk and international Text. I have iPhone X with the latest IOS software. Do I need a data plan with PM for iMessage and Facetime to work? any help is appreciated. Thank you!

33 REPLIES 33

kvanstolk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No i mean using the wifi when setting up/turning on the facetime/messaging. Once it's set up you can use it however you like, wifi or cellular. 

@kvanstolk- That's great but...when on wifi. This kind of question here is more about using it on cellular data.

kvanstolk

I know this is an old thread but this issue came up for me today and it was SO FRUSTRATING. What ended up fixing it was switching from 2.4G to 5G wireless. I had moved to 2.4 for the sake of my wireless christmas lights but looked up a Youtube video on how to solve this issue and their first suggestion was to get on 5G. Worked! Good luck to all others experiencing this issue. 

@MuskokaBoy   This is an old and long thread.  Do you mind to tell us exactly what your issue you have.  Actually, would be better if you create a new post of your own for easy tracking.

Also, did you just change iPhone? or just change phone number?

give us more info .  thanks

MuskokaBoy

This is still an ongoing issue with Public Mobile and iPhones. Currently having the same issue with a phone on a 15$ plan. No fix yet for me.

Gigi2019

Just check your messages settings.     

You just go to settings then scroll down to messages and check what numbers are receiving / sending imessage.

In my case, I was getting the texts in both cellphones (two phones with two different numbers).

Good luck

Gigi2019

Hello,

Your imessage and facetime may have been connected to your previous number.

If it happens again, go to Settings / messages, and check how many numbers send/receive messages. Cheers!

Jennti

@jdb5624 your son has the $15 plan, so I assumed he has 250mb data. If so, please turn off (slide the bar) iMessage and facetime. Reboot or shut down his iPhone. When the phone is back up, go to the Messages, wait for 2-3 min before turning the iMessage. If you see the failed to activate message popped up quickly, repeat the above step and wait a bit longer before turning on iMessage. Do the same for Facetime. Don't worry about the waiting activation or his phone is not listed. Let the activation sit overnight. Please ask your son not to touch the iMessage and facetime, i.e. not to toggle them on and off. If he did, you need to repeat the above steps. I just helped my friend who had the same problem as mine with these steps and it helped. Technically iMessage and facetime activation should work with WIFI. For some reason, I couldn't pass the activation until I have the PM data plan. Good luck.

@jdb5624 

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  You can contact moderator to see whether they can help or refund your service.  

Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

jdb5624

Did all this still issues! want a refund on our account!!

jdb5624

did nothing helps

jdb5624

we have done all this as well. Reset the phone numerous times, nothing works! we have wasted 8

@Lieux wrote:

@Jennti Turn cellular data and roaming ON. 

Turn Messages & Facetime OFF, and back ON in 5 minutes. This will force a reset of Apple servers to your new phone.

Correct setup for messaging: Settings >> Messages >> iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive should show your phone # and Apple ID email.

Setup for Facetime also should show your phone # and Apple ID email

hours bought a diffrent sim card too $$$ out the windown when you cant even use it we have wasted life ready to change providers!!!

jdb5624

we have the exact same problem!!!!!! my son is on the 15 $$ plan we have waisted over 5 Hours between apple and PM!! Im not impressed!

Jennti

My iMessage and Facetime finally work!!! 🙂  not sure what really fixed it. The last thing I did was to upgrade my plan to a data plan, reset "Erase all content and settings" and let iMessage and facetime sitting at the activation overnight. Thanks, Everyone for helping me to nail this issue. Glad to be part of PM community. 

Jennti

Anyone else who can help, please! I've just spent 1.5 hours with Apple Support who logged in my iPhone and troubleshot. He and his manager couldn't find anything on the Apple side which prevents my phone from registering with the Apple server and advised me to check with the carrier, PM. They also suggested me to upgrade to the PM data plan which I just did. I also re-reset my phone "Erase all content and settings" after I upgraded my plan to the data plan. My iMessage and facetime activation still fail to activate :(.PM support, is it possible you can check if my number is blocked on the PM server side? 

Jennti

Thanks, @stonechucker , I did go through the suggestions from the suggested posts. I also reset the iPhone. it didn't help. Do we have anyone who has the plan as mine (unlimited talk and international text, no data) and has the iMessage and facetime work with WIFI & SMS? I can upgrade mine to a data plan if needed to make iMessage/facetime to work. 

Jennti

@stonechucker  I ported in my Roger number.

@Jennti, did you port in your Rogers number, or did you select a new PM number?

If you let your Rogers number go, you probably have to deregister it at the apple.com website.  Then you can try re-registering your PM number.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jennti wrote:

iMessage and facetime both have the spinning wheel at the phone #, Apple ID checked.

Seems similar to a recent thread... as a start, see if this post or this post are helpful...

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Paging @CalgaryBen to assist, please and thank you sir.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Jennti

I've tried this approach many times without luck 😞

1. Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage.
  2. Go to Settings > FaceTime and turn off FaceTime.
  3. Restart your device by holding ON/OFF button and Home buttons at once for about 10 seconds
  4. Turn iMessage and FaceTime back on.

Jennti

I left the activation running overnight and the iMessage and facetime activation ended unsuccessfully. I also tried to reset "Erase All content and settings" -> no go. It appears that the iMessage and facetime activation issue followed my SIM card & phone number as my friend's iPhone iMessage and facetime stopped working with my SIM card/phone number. I inserted my friend's PM SIM into my iPhone; iMessage & facetime started to work immediately.  

PM experts! is there anything else I can try to make to iMessage and facetime activation to work? it's getting beyond frustration and I am thinking to switch back to Rogers :(. Please help! 

Jennti

I've tried all the suggestions but still unable to make the activation work :(. Wifi, SMS messages, Apple ID all work. iMessage and facetime both have the spinning wheel at the phone #, Apple ID checked. I am going to let the activation running for a couple of days as suggested. Thank you all for the assistance/support!

Koyabtx

@Jennti wrote:

Please help! I've just switched from Rogers to PM. My iMessage and Facetime stop working. iMessage and Facetime used to work with the Rogers plan (Talk & Text, no data). I left the activation run overnight without luck. I've tried all the suggestions I found in the community - still can't make them work. My plan is unlimited province Talk and international Text. I have iPhone X with the latest IOS software. Do I need a data plan with PM for iMessage and Facetime to work? any help is appreciated. Thank you!

All you need is a wi-fi connection to activate iMessage/FaceTime.

1) Toggle off iMessage/FaceTime activation if it's still on and trying to activate, then turn your phone off and back on and try to activate again- see if that works

2) Make sure your wi-fi connection is stable and working, often times if your wi-fi connection isn't stable it can cause a lag in trying to activate the services. Try doing a "network reset" in settings > general > reset > reset network settings

Also check to see if "Send as SMS" and that you have "MMS Messaging" enabled in the messages settings. iMessage uses SMS to activate your #

Check to see if your phone is sending SMS messages properly. Hopefully any of these work for you!

RossN
Mayor / Maire

Just make sure your new phone number is in your Apple ID/iCloud settings then turn your phone on and off maybe a couple times and it should work mine didn’t at first either but soon as I did that it worked

@Jennti and it could take 1 or 2 days before you will be able to have imessage and facetime after porting your number...what I have read in an other post few weeks ago...

@Jennti wrote:

yes, I do have a WIFI connection. Both Facetime and iMessage are stuck at the Activation.

Try restart your phone and reset networking.

@Jennti Turn cellular data and roaming ON. 

Turn Messages & Facetime OFF, and back ON in 5 minutes. This will force a reset of Apple servers to your new phone.

Correct setup for messaging: Settings >> Messages >> iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive should show your phone # and Apple ID email.

Setup for Facetime also should show your phone # and Apple ID email

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@Jennti wrote:

Do you have wifi? Did you go in your settings to see if Imessage and facetime are activated?
Need Help? Let's chat.