cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading phone and porting my phone number

beverley1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi . I bought a new iPhone, activated it and went to put the old SIM card into it. I got the message" this phone number is no longer active" when I put the SIM card in. So I have put the SIM card back in my old phone for now. I want to port my phone number into the new iPhone. Any ideas what to do next and why I am getting that message? 

9 REPLIES 9

beverley1

Thanks to everyone who tried to assist with this problem. Ultimately I took the phones to a tech support person who was able to get the new phone working.  I'm not sure what I was doing wrong with the set up, but appreciated the help suggestions from the community while trying to troubleshoot. I would highly recommend that Public Mobile offer a pay- as- you- go live help phone service to assist with step by step  troubleshooting.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @beverley1 

on your old phone, backup first

then insert your PM sim into the new iPhone, Reset the phone and start the setup process and restore from iCloud

if any error, take pictures and show us

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@beverley1 

Are you transferring data from your old phone to your new phone? I’m assuming this message is coming up when you have the two devices close together and you are transferring settings over. The transferring of the number is usually apple’s way of trying to transfer an eSIM if you have it. Are you able to choose to skip that step or to do it later? Then continue the rest of the transfer.

Once the new phone is fully setup insert your SIM card into it and reboot. Once your powered back on go to the settings for both messages and FaceTime and make sure that your Public Mobile number is there and selected for send and receive for both of those apps.

beverley1

Hi I am not changing carriers, just upgrading my iPhone to an iPhone 14. for whatever reason my phone PM number isn't transferring to the new phone. I get the message that the "phone number is no longer active". I didn't see a QR code anywhere...thanks for your help.

@beverley1 wrote:

Thanks..it says I can transfer a phone number from a nearby iPhone and gives me that option making sure the other phone is unlocked with bluetooth on etc. I have those parameters set up but it doesn't seem to want to accept the number..thanks for any further help. I am transferring a physical SIM card..

@beverley1 - try see if this site helps you: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251653073

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@beverley1 - i am a bit unclear. Are you already a public mobile customer, and just got a new phone? You do not port the same number/account from phone to phone. You port from provider to provider.

If so, the account and phone number follows the SIM card. Was this SIM card active recently? Call 611 (or # 1-855-478-2542 or # 1-855-4PUBLIC from another device) to see of public can find your account.

Note after 90 days of nonpayment a number and account is lost and account is closed.

OR, if you are really porting to Public from another provider then see helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/transfer-your-number

@beverley1 

On your old iPhone, backup all data and settings to iCloud. Once backed up, transfer everything over to the new iPhone (don’t need the SIM in the new iPhone) by scanning the QR code to start the transfer.

Once transfer is completed, power off both iPhones and switch the SIM to the new iPhone and power up both iPhones.

Don’t factory reset the old iPhone unless you are selling it. You can install TextNow app on old iPhone and pick a new number so you can use the old iPhone through WiFi.

beverley1

Thanks..it says I can transfer a phone number from a nearby iPhone and gives me that option making sure the other phone is unlocked with bluetooth on etc. I have those parameters set up but it doesn't seem to want to accept the number..thanks for any further help. I am transferring a physical SIM card..

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@beverley1 

try Reset Network settings and update carrier profile

Also, on Cellular menu,  disable the eSIM if it was used with an eSIM earlier  make sure you physical sim slot is set as Active and Use this Number is toggled on

Need Help? Let's chat.