cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

travelling to BC

Lise7
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently travelled to B.C. and experienced many challenges with my cell phone.  Current plan 500MB + 500MB at 3G.  Unlimited Canada wide talk; unlimited international text.  Shortly upon arriving in Alberta, I was notified that I had reached limit in data.  Even when logged to local WIFI, I could not retrieve email, text, google, etcc...I added data twice and no success.  I changed my monthly plan...and received notification shortly thereafter that I had reached my limits.  I attempted to contact Public Mobile unsuccessfully....my friends question why I am using Public Mobile and I am seriously asking myself that question; however, before I do make a decision, I would like an answer to my questions.  When travelling, do we need to add data to plan....your website is also very frustrating to navigate.  

6 REPLIES 6

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Lise7 

PM will work across Canada so it should be fine. My friend does a lot of cycling across Canada with a group of cyclists and he disable the Cellular Data setting and enables it when he needs it…he is on the $15/month plan.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Lise7 

Do you havevan iPhone or an Android device? If its the latter you can track your data usage. Check both your phone and apps for their data usage. Then check your usage in your self serve account. If no data counters show on your overview page it means you have completely consumed the plan and/or add on data. Go thru your daily usage pages for the two 12 hour blocks of data usage reported daily. Do they more or less match the data usage in your phone? Is it consistent with your amount of plan data?

Public mobile often sends out data usage texts in error, if you went thru renewal during that time the texts could have been sent as you ran out of data just before renewal or possibly your plan data did not reset upon renewal so the texts were triggered after renewal. Add up the usage from the different sources and if they don't add up....contact customer support for a resolution. Otherwise all aspects of your plan (unless its a legacy plan) work Canada wide.

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

All current PM Plans are Canada wide and do not require any special add-ons. Calls/SMS/Data should work from coast to coast.

Requirement to purchase add-on is only is you need extra Internet and not being close to WiFi.

Not being able to retrieve email or browse sites through WiFi has nothing to do with PM but with your phone/device. Sometimes reboot helps and sometimes when using free WiFi (Walmart, Tim Hortons, etc.) you have to accept their agreement. If you miss that page you will Not have access to their WiFi.

Purchasing add-on is 2-step process.

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lise7hi no add on needed it should all work as if you were home,contact customer service

you will need to open a ticket, to speak to a customer service agent    Click here or if you are having issues with Simon you can send private message to a CS Agent here:   https://bit.ly/2GGCJzH

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Lise7   First, if you are using Wifi and still unable to access those sites, it is not an issue with PM network but a problem on your device.  You might want to disable Mobile data and reboot the phone next time.

In terms of adding data and still reached the limit, did you login to My Account and confirm if the data you added showed up in your My Data and Add-ons box on My Account?    It should show you the new add-on you purchased and how much data used

If it really used up that quick, it is something you need to check your device settings, restrict mobile data access for some background usage.

In terms of "When travelling, do we need to add data to plan..."  Mobile data can be used across Canada and not bounded to the province your number is registered in.  You will only need to add extra data if you have used them up

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Lise7 

Sorry to hear your troubles. Your regular data add on should work across Canada. No special add on is required  You may use up your data quicker while traveling since you are not on Wifi as much.  

Signing on to Wifi does not involve Public mobile, Maybe there was an issue with your Wifi at that time (? Roger's outage).  

Adding data is a two step process. Need to load funds, then purchase add on. 

If you are having trouble submitting a ticket to customer service agent, you can directly private message:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.