cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

taking on a previously used phone number

RJW
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Community!

I'm ready to cancel my landline after 20 years (gasp) and use my public mobile number exclusively even though less people in my circle use it. The landline number gets many sales calls. Of course I would rather use the number that's been established for 20 years if I can ensure that public will help me block sales calls.

1- Have you, the community, found that public offers good ways to ensure that sales calls can be blocked?

2- Has anyone canceled their public mobile number and used a previously owned number successfully?

Thanks for the advice in advance,

Rebecca

11 REPLIES 11

"Remove my name and number from your list. Do not call again. Thank you." (click)

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@RJW wrote:

Hi Community!

I'm ready to cancel my landline after 20 years (gasp) and use my public mobile number exclusively even though less people in my circle use it. The landline number gets many sales calls. Of course I would rather use the number that's been established for 20 years if I can ensure that public will help me block sales calls.

1- Have you, the community, found that public offers good ways to ensure that sales calls can be blocked?

Spam/spoofing calls happen. Try not to answer calls you do not recognize and hopefully, your number will eventually drop off the spam/sales callers lists.

You can block individual numbers on your cell device, if the phone numbers are consistent, but these annoying callers can sometimes spoof numbers (change the number it appears that are calling from to make it look legit), so that makes it challenging.

2- Has anyone canceled their public mobile number and used a previously owned number successfully?

Yes, I porting over a Bell landline to Public Mobile, went very smoothly. 

A landline it could take up to 7 days to complete.

Make sure you do not cancel your previous provider's services.

Incoming calls are usually the last to port over.

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Thanks for the advice in advance,

Rebecca

Hello @RJW see responses in RED above.

Check that your landline is eligible to port over: 

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal

@Meow , oh, you meant after you transfer your landline number to PM, Govt cannot text to that number (which already with PM)?    I head the SMS text might not work right a way after a porting.  Did you try it again like a week or 2 after the porting?

@hTideGnow wrote:

I think , and I hope, the system is smart enough that they won't send SMS Authentication for landline transfer  🙂

Oh, I hope so, too. But I am talking about sending SMS to cell phone having actual land line number.

@Meow   I think , and I hope, the system is smart enough that they won't send SMS Authentication for landline transfer  🙂

@softech wrote:

Some device, like iPhone, has spam calls filter, but this is strictly on the device level and not the carrier level

Could you please elaborate how iPhone can filter spam calls?

@hTideGnow wrote:

e is no SMS authentication needed if it is porting from a landline or VoIP

My experience is that when I requested SMS authentication (just as test) from Government of Canada to my land line I got response 'Invalid Number...or not eligible' or similar. Had to provide my PM number...

Same goes for creating new email with yahoo, gmail, etc. My land line number has been rejected.

Unfortunately such auth. numbers cannot be send to TextNow not to Fongo either. TextNow will provide such service but for a fee.

@Meow wrote:

2. Porting your existing number to Public Mobile should be straight forward. BE AWARE! if you port real land line you might not be able to receive some authentication SMS codes which are send to mobile phone numbers. Based on my experience, for example SMS will not be sent to 905-206-xxxx as that number belongs to Bell. But it will be send to 905-301 which is Bell mobility.

@Meow isn't that there is no SMS authentication needed if it is porting from a landline or VoIP?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

1. Unfortunately nobody can stop sales calls. Particularly these days when telemarketers can and will spoof any phone number to be shown on your call display. With cell phone you can block such number but you are risking blocking legitimate number which might call you one day...

2. Porting your existing number to Public Mobile should be straight forward. Yo ucan do it during signing up with PM or at later time. I would suggest to get PM service established first - confirm everything is working as expected and then request porting.

BE AWARE! if you port real land line you might not be able to receive some authentication SMS codes which are send to mobile phone numbers. Based on my experience, for example SMS will not be sent to 905-206-xxxx as that number belongs to Bell. But it will be send to 905-301 which is Bell mobility.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@RJW  

For question 2.  yes, it is a simple step and it is call Porting.  All you need to do is to logon to My  Account, click Change Number and select "Transfer a wireless or wireline number from another provider"  and following the steps after.     

Please note porting form landline could take around 3 to 7 business days depends on the complexity and where your source provider is 

For your question 1, unfortunately there is no way for Public to help to flight spam calls or sales calls.  Some device, like iPhone, has spam calls filter, but this is strictly on the device level and not the carrier level

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RJW 

Choosing Or Transferring A Phone Number During Activation, Click Here link 

Eligibility Check if your existing number is eligible to move visit Here link 

if you stuck with Transferring your old Phone Number,

Here’s how to contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,

• or you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your phone number,
  • which carrier,

Good luck and your welcome to Public Mobile

with a Beautiful Service

you will be very happy....

Need Help? Let's chat.