cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

poor service in the USA

rsorensen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just got back from the USA and had purchased US roaming, calling and text 4 times. The service was terrible, with so many dropped and most not going through at all. At times, I was able to get my wife after 4 tries. Most incoming calls ended in hard to hear voicemails. My wife and I spent over $120. and are not happy with our service. I even switched to 4G plans to see if it would help. It did not...

Could it be my older phone or Telus?

In past years this has worked perfectly. Why the change?

7 REPLIES 7

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Roaming talk is very problematic these days. But you compounded it by buying more. Only T-Mobile allows talk. So next time set it to T-Mobile. Text and data should work fine. All provided of course that you're in a coverage range.

@Dunkman- Suggesting AT&T is no longer valid and the company should remove all mention of it and regulars should not suggest it. A couple of regulars have tried it and it simply does not connect. Myself included. I can manually scan and see T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon where I am in the states. Choosing AT&T will NOT connect. Choosing Verizon will NOT connect (as had been suggested a while ago by an agent). Only T-Mobile.

Friend
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I had the same roaming experience in June.  Voice calling hardly ever worked.

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@softech  I am not OP 😂😂😂 thanks though @rsorensen 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@rsorensen  you were only getting the Talk roaming?

yes, voice call is only on T-Mobile's 2G network, but it is an older technology and coverage is not high.  So, it wouldn't be your old phone problem (in fact, old and new phone might not make a much difference here on the 2G network)

did you get Data roaming?  data should be slightly easier and more stable

Don't get too upset, open ticket with PM support and they might compensate a bit

1. If you have access to My account: At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@rsorensen 

The issue with Public mobile US roaming at the present time is the decommissioning of 3G Networks in the USA.  Public mobile uses AT&T and T mobile as their US partner carriers.  AT&T already phased out 3G network earlier this year. T mobile 's date was July 1.  It may take time for the different areas in USA to decommissioned. 

According to Public mobile,

PM will have T mobile 2G network for US roaming.(for talk)

Voice and SMS text will still work. 

Data will work on LTE, but will switch over to 2G to make a call. 

However, the quality of service will vary depending on the different coverage areas when roaming in the USA.

Public mobile is working on a long term solution, but that will take time.

Here is some more info:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/us-roaming

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

If you had a poor experience, contact customer service agent and they may be able to help with some form of refund. YMMV

Meow
Mayor / Maire

That is to be expected. USA got rid of 3G so any service through US add-ons is very questionable.

You can try asking for refund from agent.

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rsorensen 

US dropped 3G. And for Phone calls it goes over 3G. The only telecom left is T-Mobile but the calls go over 2G as T-Mobile also has dropped 3G. Honestly PM (Telus) should just drop the US add-ons to avoid this 

Need Help? Let's chat.