cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

online data remaining conflicts with cellphone data limit

Ctran266
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I had accepted a new promo and received 20GB starting this new billing month. While my online account says I have 18.09GB data left, my cell says i have reached my max at 2.1GB and do not have data left. I have tried to turn off and on my phone but no luck.

25 REPLIES 25

@DennyCrane 

the quote option is disabled on mobile devices. one needs to use a computer to see the option to enable quoting.

the OP is most likely embarrassed and didn't see where the data limit option was

@DennyCrane 

You can assume that I read first and then reply - it's one of the reasons that I'm so slow with my replies.

I also click on the "in response to" links in replies when necessary.

"IT'S WORKING!!     Thank You everyone!"

is linked to BKNS27's 

"What is the make and model of your phone?

It would be in the Settings menu but each phone is slightly different."

Signing off here, you insist that the date adjustment is what the OP did, I don't buy that. The only person that can solve the riddle is the OP and they seem to be on their merry way. 

I can't figure out how to quote a post on this forum, but OP stated this:

"Thanks! I have tried that but unfortunately I do not have the 'Set Data limit' option on my cell. Even if i press the 2.1GB of mobile date that is showing blue...it doesn't allow me to select it at all. The only option I have to change under the 'Data usage' is the Data Saver - on/off option which doesn't help with my issue."

The workaround was:

"I just googled the steps for Galaxy A5 but none of the "check boxes" are available?! Seems like it's locked and no modifications are allowed on my end. How weird is that?!

Samsung Galaxy A5

Tap the Settings icon.

Tap Data Usage.

Tap the check box beside Set Mobile Data Limit.

To set the period for which the data usage limit applies, tap the current date range.

Tap Change Cycle.

Use the up and down arrows to set the day of the month a new cycle starts and then tap Set.

Tap the Settings icon."

@DennyCrane wrote:

The messed up part is that there is no way to change the data limit programed by the phone. In other words OP will have to constantly change the cycle data to get around the 2GB hard cap. 

Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

I don't think (hope?)  that the data cap is not changeable. As you say that doesn't make sense.

It was likely just a matter of accessing the "set data limit" feature to change it.

I wish the OP would come back to clarify what did the trick. But they also didn't say that just moving the date was the magic sequence, and they didn't reply to the post re: date setting when they reported their success. 😎

HI @DennyCrane 

yes, you cannot change the data limit to 30 days, it has to be monthly on the phone.

So, I don't suggest people to use that

Maybe download some app to show you the usage and can reset every 30 days.  Yes, those app will only give you the usage and won't stop you if it hit the limit.  But with PM, there is no overage,  it is ok without the hard stopper

The messed up part is that there is no way to change the data limit programed by the phone. In other words OP will have to constantly change the cycle data to get around the 2GB hard cap. 

Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

@DennyCrane wrote:

That's a pretty messed up workaround, to be perfectly honest. So your phone is hard coded with a 2GB data limit per cycle? That makes absolutely no sense. 

Why is that messy?

It's the written out version to reset the plan start date (which we technically need to do every month with 31 or 28 days to have the phone's data counter match the PM account counter as close as possible?

No Samsung phone here, but the Android phone I've immediate access to (essentially stock Android 11) needs data turned on for the datal warning and limiter to be accessible.

The OP mentioned turning off WiFi. It could be that the turning on data didn't catch properly the first time?

But obviously it's all guess work here.

@Ctran266 wrote:

IT'S WORKING!!     Thank You everyone!

@Ctran266 , what made it start working again?

That's a pretty messed up workaround, to be perfectly honest. So your phone is hard coded with a 2GB data limit per cycle? That makes absolutely no sense. 

@Ctran266 wrote:

Good news. Ok now...what did you do to get it working correctly ?

Ctran266

Thanks 🙂    Have a great weekend everyone!

Ctran266

@Ctran266 

Aside from the most likely cause being seeing cached information on the PM website, also remember that public mobile services cycle on 30-day rotating periods which do not correspond with the calendar months.

So your device information may be based very differently than your actual mobile service plan.

Be sure to click this area on the self-serve landing page right after logging in:

HALIMACS_0-1679766258091.png

Ctran266

Thanks! I have tried that but unfortunately I do not have the 'Set Data limit' option on my cell.  Even if i press the 2.1GB of mobile date that is showing blue...it doesn't allow me to select it at all.  The only option I have to change under the 'Data usage' is the Data Saver - on/off option which doesn't help with my issue.

Ctran266

I just googled the steps for Galaxy A5 but none of the "check boxes"  are available?!   Seems like it's locked and no modifications are allowed on my end.  How weird is that?!

Samsung Galaxy A5
  1. Tap the Settings icon.
  2. Tap Data Usage.
  3. Tap the check box beside Set Mobile Data Limit.
  4. To set the period for which the data usage limit applies, tap the current date range.
  5. Tap Change Cycle.
  6. Use the up and down arrows to set the day of the month a new cycle starts and then tap Set.
  7. Tap the Settings icon.

Ctran266

Galaxy A5 (2017)

Under "Data usage' it is very limited with selections. I tried to click everything to change the limit and cycle date but it seems locked in?!

@Ctran266 

What is the make and model of your phone?

It would be in the Settings menu but each phone is slightly different.

Ctran266

How do i do that?

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Your issue is a user set limit on your actual phone. Go into your network settings under data and remove the data limit you set. 

Ctran266

Ok understandable but I am paying more for the higher 20GB/mth and now I have no data since my Cell says i reached over 2GB at 2.1GB.  how do i get this fixed?

Ctran266

I took Wifi off my cell and tried going to YouTube but it says No internet connection.

How do i check or change my data limit on my cell?   There's no other options that I see under the Data Usage

@Ctran266   one more thing, PM has a 30 days cycle, make sure if you data limit on phone , change the cycle start date there to match your PM current data cycle date

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Ctran266 

Unfortunately, your phone app is on a monthly cycle where as PM is on a 30 days cycle so they won’t match up.

Your account would be the updated result of your data usage.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Ctran266 login to My Account using Incognito mode to confirm you still have data

also, check if you have set a data limit on your device itself and blocked the use of data

Need Help? Let's chat.