cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lost sim... maybe

slamdunk58
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm down in the states for the winter. I took my public mobile sim out of my phone after i crossed the border and put my t mobile sim in. I put the public mobile sim in a little pouch with some other sims I have. ie UK etc. I needed to put my public sim back in the phone today to do some banking and I can't get it to work. The reason might be that it's NOT the public mobile sim card. It's a blue sim card which I know is right but should there be any numbers on the card? The one I've got in there now was no numbers on it and it does have an R on the back of it. Any thoughts? If I've lost the sim card what do I need to replace it? Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20

I PM’d you.  The call is not with the PM number but can be programmed to give your PM number as the caller ID. 

@slamdunk58 yes, you can set it up in US if you can get a hold of the SiM.

I understand tou try to get bank's 2FA code, but I think it is better to call the bank and see if tiu can change to other way to receive the code.  Authentication app is a safer and better option

slamdunk58

Can you expand a little more on how you use voip.ms and this zoiper app to make call with the PM number? Thanks.

"Set it up" may imply other intentions. There is a change sim function in the account that you can change the sim on the account.

Sims are usually $10. Amazon might have them a little less. The "Shop" here might have them for $5 or bogo. (before I might go look)

slamdunk58

Thanks so much for all the help. Assuming I can get a hold of a sim card, can I set it up down here, or do I need to be in canada to do that? Just out of curiosity, how much is a new sim card? I'm pretty sure I can get my nephew to get one for me and post it to me. I'll look into amazon as a possible solution to getting a card as well. Thanks again for all the help.

You will need to acquire a sim somehow. I don't know if they would ship one to the states from here. Maybe the Amazon method might. Or get a friend to get one and mail it to you.

Then you log in and change the sim. You will need access to the registered email address inbox.

@slamdunk58   PM won't send you free replacement sim card  😞

You will need to buy one from local Telus or Koodo store.

Once you got the new sim card, you will login to My Account, click Change sim card on Quick Link menu and then enter the new sim card number to link your account and phone number with the new sim card

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/en/account/edit/your-accounthttps://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/en/account/edit/your-account

slamdunk58

I think it's safe to say that I have lost my public mobile sim card. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do to replace it? Does public mobile need to send me a sim card with that my number programmed into it or will any sim card do? Thanks for everyone's help with this.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Just in case check your settings in phone....it will give you the numbers on the SIM card 89122 30000 XXXXX belongs to PM. 

@slamdunk58 the Public sim should have numbers on it ,  19 dogits long starts with 89122 - 30000

@slamdunk58   Yes, the PM SIM says PUBLIC plus has the SIM # on the back of the card.

@slamdunk58 wrote:".does the public mobile sim have the sim card number on it?"

Yes, the PM sim card does have sim card number. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

1. You can buy one online or ask one of us to mail you one 

2. If you have wifi, you can set up a voip.ms account and use the Zoiper app to make a call. You can also put your PM number in it for caller ID. 

@Meow wrote:

Even if it is correct SIM (PM) if you do not have US add-on (10 days service) you will not be able to use it in USA.

If you want to use PM SIM in USA, log in to your PM account (use computer) and buy appropriate US add-on. Connect to t-mobile and (if you are lucky) you might have service in US.

But with out USA add ons can receive a text. 

slamdunk58

Thanks. I think I've lost the public mobile sim but just to be sure ....does the public mobile sim have the sim card number on it? The sim I have in there is blue with NO numbers on it and a small R on the back. I think that might be one of my old european sims but it is blue so I'm not sure. Thanks

Assuming that's the right sim and that it's connected to T-Mobile on that sim then yes you should be able to receive texts.

slamdunk58

Thanks everyone. I know I need the addon but the sim card doesn't even pick up a signal! Nothing. Correct me if I'm wrong but I should at least be able to receive a text message right? 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Even if it is correct SIM (PM) if you do not have US add-on (10 days service) you will not be able to use it in USA.

If you want to use PM SIM in USA, log in to your PM account (use computer) and buy appropriate US add-on. Connect to t-mobile and (if you are lucky) you might have service in US.

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@slamdunk58 hi if you are in the US your public mobile sim card will not work unless you have an active plan with US roaming 

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@slamdunk58 hi unless you have a us roaming add on your public sim will not work in the US 

Need Help? Let's chat.