cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is public mobile discontinuing service as public mobile?

piprpatr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

will publice mobile still be available as a provider in the near future? should I be looking for a new budget cell phone provider today? please advise.

15 REPLIES 15

CORRECTION. 

This article states that Telus met the CTRC mandate using the Koodo postpaid $15 plan. Koodo also has a prepaid plan as well.  It also mentions how Bell and Rogers met it as well. 

Koodo post paid plan as of today. 

01DF647D-B243-446E-BDAE-444DD6866D1D.jpeg

It is sure nice to see Telus competing with themselves as in my opinion the $15 PM plan  blows the socks off of the $15 Koodo plans. 

And and I would never let this guy on TV commercials win me over. 😂😂

41150394-A42A-47C6-901D-A9340B30E35B.jpeg

Just saying. 

@CountyDownIeUk   do they have $15 plan in Telus/Bell/Rogers now?   I know Rogers still have $100 plan /year for Paid as you go .. but I think that is an grandfathered plan and won't meet the requirement.

Also, I don't think Telus  can use PM's $15 plan as a way to satisfy CRTC.  CRTC expects Telus to have the plan, not PM.

HI @CountyDownIeUk   I don't think there is any $15 plan in Telus now 

wants and expecting are not solid rules.

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @CountyDownIeUk  I think it is now a  "law",  that is just a nice to have, there is no obligation .  At least in that page, it just say "CRTC wants",  "We are therefore expecting" ..

@hTideGnow 

Read ALL of this thoroughly. 

F812DD02-D25B-4817-B2E0-E5DC06D90604.jpeg

This is comes from the CTRC website and numerous news agencies also posted that this mandate had to be in place by July 14 2021.

HI @CountyDownIeUk  I think it is now a  "law",  that is just a nice to have, there is no obligation .  At least in that page, it just say "CRTC wants",  "We are therefore expecting" ..

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI@CountyDownIeUk   the CRTC mandate there is for Postpaid plan and not prepaid like PM

@hTideGnow 

Yes, I did cover that. So on the other hand, then, where is the postpaid Telus $15 plan that meets the CTRC mandate??

HI@CountyDownIeUk   the CRTC mandate there is for Postpaid plan and not prepaid like PM

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Koodo already overlaps plans with Public and Telus for that matter.

@Dunkman wrote:

Saying that, Telus may change its mind at anytime in the future.  IMO, as long as other Tier 3 competitors like Lucky and Chatr are still in the market, Public mobile will also continue to exist.  

@Dunkman I don’t understand why you  say this! I think you  are overlooking that the CTRC gave the big carriers a mandate to provide a $15 plan bang on to the PM $15 plan. So Telus has met the mandate and more so with the rewards program through PM and add ons that don’t expire. What I don’t understand is the CTRC asks for a post paid plan (which I cannot see that they, Telus, does) but PM is providing prepaid. If I was a betting man I would say the $15 PM prepaid plan does meet the mandate for Telus. 

CC39BC0C-837C-4CFE-A469-8F5658BD20BB.jpeg

I don’t want to say  this but I guess Telus could merge all PM plans into Telus/Koodo and make sure whoever has the $15 plan...that it meets the CTRC mandate. But, who knows, will the mandate change to more for $15 or more for $20? 

While I don’t fully understand  the competitiveness amongst Telus, Bell, Rogers and Shaw it appears to me that Telus does not want to let their higher paying customers to see or know about PM plans. If I was a young worker I would look at the $25 plan after I compared what $25 would get me at Telus or Bell. And as long as Lucky and the likes are here......I imagine PM will be too. 

@Dunkman wrote:

More improvements in self service and other customer service initiatives are in the works.

haha, i know I heard that somewhere, last time I said changes will come to My Account and someone challenged  me where I heard that.  Glad I have a confirmation tonight

@Dunkman wrote:

Saying that, Telus may change its mind at anytime in the future.  IMO, as long as other Tier 3 competitors like Lucky and Chatr are still in the market, Public mobile will also continue to exist.  

I agree that 100%, PM is here not because Telus love to have another brand but just to keep it inline with Rogers and Bell.  So, if PM is going away, then likely there is not  another budget carrier 

@piprpatr   mind to share what "insider news" you have today?

"Redesign of the community forum and rewards point systems were recently done. More improvements in self service and other customer service initiatives are in the works."

Hopefully, any improvements PM is undertaking for self serve etc. will actually be improvements as the redesigned community forum (edit: not to mention the so called new points rewards system) barely qualifies as an improvement, IMO! 

@piprpatr  I don't see any evidence of PM closing shop anytime soon, but there does seem to be less interest by PM management/Telus to introduce some fresh plans that would really appeal to budget conscious customers it seems to me.   For now they're still a good deal compared to their competition, but only for customers on the old rewards system...

@piprpatr 

I don't have any information about this, nor has Public Mobile provided any such information, but hypothetically, I don't believe that Public Mobile ceasing to exist would necessitate the need for a new carrirer as customer base could easily be merged into one of the other Telus brands.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@piprpatr 

From our quarterly oracle meetings, there are no reports from PM management that Public mobile is going away anytime soon. 

Public mobile management and staff are still working hard on different projects to improve customer service.  Redesign of the community forum and rewards point systems were recently done.  More improvements in self service and other customer service initiatives are in the works. If PM is going to stop providing service, why is PM spending time and resources to continue to improve things at PM.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @piprpatr   what you heard today?  why you bring up this question?

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@piprpatr hi all is good there are just a few rumours nothing more 

Need Help? Let's chat.