cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone locking up with Public Mobile

Costanza1008
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there - I have an iPhone 13 Pro and my phone randomly locks up when I go to use it.   I had a physical sim in it and thought maybe that was the problem.   I put a different carrier in for 3 weeks and didn’t have a single lock up, put public mobile sim back in and it started locking up immediately.  Like it’s lagging and stops working for 30 seconds to 15 minutes then it stabilizes and works for a while but will eventually lock up again and becomes unresponsive again …. Then Will randomly lock up again.  
I switched to an eSIM thinking it was a bad sim - but still having same problem or random glitching / lockups.  Not a single issue with 2 other carrier chips - I tried switching g for 3 weeks and didn’t have a single lock up .  With Public mobile back in it started glitching right away with physical sim and eSIM.   

anyone else have this problem. We have 3 other iPhone cells with public mobile (8, 12, 13 not pro), and none have this issue, but my iPhone 13 Pro does… 

any help or tips to try appreciated !! 

12 REPLIES 12

Costanza1008

Hi there @Dunkman  and @Phil_Adelphus  - just to update this, after manually selecting LTE rather than “5G on” or “5G auto” for voice and data cellular options my phone has not locked up over the past 2 days so that seems to have fixed my issue.  
very odd since our other 3 x PM iPhones in my house all work with “5G auto” enabled.  

ill keep mine set to LTE and consider this a victory. 
fingers crossed it continues to work!!

thanks to you both for your ideas and insight - super helpful!!

@Costanza1008 

Thanks for updating us.  Depending on the area, 5G network may not give best signal and coverage.  Seem like the other phones in your family works fine with 5G.  Maybe some connection issue between your iphone and PM 5G network.  

Costanza1008

Hi there @Dunkman  and @Phil_Adelphus  -  I manually set it to 3G and then also tried LTE and it didn’t hang on me so far.   Switched back to 5G on and 5G auto and it hung, so looks like I need to keep it at LTE to stop phone from glitching.  We have 3 other phones in our house on Public Mobile and  all are set to 5G and don’t have any problems - mine is the newest model phone and has had nothing but problems since it converted to Public Mobile.  I’ll test it tomorrow some more - it seems to be when I switch from one tower to another that it starts to glitch.  There’s almost a line on the road that once I cross that point I start having problems, but mine is the only one having issue - very weird.   

I’ll test more tomorrow, but I think fox so far is hard coding to LTE or 3G… 

@Costanza1008   I have an iPhone 13 (not pro) and have it on 5G Auto, most of the time when I'm home it chooses LTE I think because the 5G signal is not strong enough to penetrate the house walls.  It does say 5G in other places and gets close to the stated speed for 5G on PM so I know it works.  Perhaps it would still be a good idea to contact customer service if it only works on 3G.  Not working on 5G might be because of coverage in your area (did you get it before on other carriers?).  I don't think your physical sim will still work now that you have switched to esim.  My phone does not lock up at all.

Costanza1008

@Dunkman and @Phil_Adelphus @ - I set network to Public Mobile instead of auto and it still locks up on me.  I then set cellular to only 3G and it’s the longest it’s worked without locking up.  That may have fixed issue but I’ll keep testing to make sure .  Odd that I can’t use 5G???  It was originally set to 5G auto and I changed it to 5G “on” and it still was locking up.  
now I’ve changed to 3G and it’s now working.   I’ll try LTE and see if it locks up with that….

is this a public mobile issue if I can only connect properly with 3G???  Are they able to scan my device on the network and see issues communicating with them? 

thanks for your help - I’ll keep you posted if LTE works or it locks up again. 

@Costanza1008 

Might also want to try manually select either 3G network versus LTE network. 

Costanza1008

@Phil_Adelphus - thanks, I’ll try that.  It’s currently set to automatic but I’ll change it to try that out.   

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Costanza1008   Have you tried setting the network to Public Mobile instead of automatic?  If that doesn't work contact customer service via this link

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

You'll need to monitor your inbox for a reply, either indicated at the envelope icon top right or tap your Avatar for Messages

Costanza1008

Unfortunately still have problem after network reset.   I’ve also tried turning wifi off and Bluetooth off and when I get outside and into full cell coverage it starts to lock up like it’s trying to get some network info it can’t.  Locks up randomly.  If I force a reboot it boots up and locks up immediately.  After some time it will start to work again, and then without warning starts to randomly lock up again so it becomes unresponsive…. The. 5-15 minutes later starts to work, then 45 minutes later starts to lock up….  Very frustrating.  Not sure if I should get rid of this phone or switch providers as I don’t have this problem with other vendors service on this phone.   
any other suggestions to try?   

Costanza1008

Thanks Dunkman - I’ve just done that and will test out to see if that helps - fingers crossed.  Thanks for the idea!!  I’ll report back… 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Costanza1008 

Maybe try a network reset of your phone.  Note: this will erase any saved Wifi passwords.  

Is your iPhone 13 IOS up to date?

If you still had your physical SIM card active, I would suggest putting that SIM card in another working phone.  However, it seems like that you have eSIM right now. 

Costanza1008

I’ve rebooted many times and have it patched to latest update….   

Need Help? Let's chat.