cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad and Data Issues

Wayne111
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am trying to get my Grandma's iPad (9th Gen) to work just using cellular data as she doesn't have wifi (and no cell phone or computer). I purchased an eSIM and then a PM plan so that she has data. I was finally able to troubleshoot it so that iMessages can send (without wifi), however, it seems sending text messages still doesn't work, and using the internet is hit or miss. I also don't see an actual phone number connected to the eSIM/iPad, therefore I do not have the option under Send & Receive to select the phone number (just the email). The other thing is that I have a 5G plan, yet it only ever says 3G on the iPad screen.

Is there a way to fix this? 

13 REPLIES 13

Wayne111

Just as an update, I talked to another provider and was immediately told that iPads won't be able to use SMS texting or make calls unless using a VoIP app. I ended up downloading Text+ and that seems to be working!

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

According to Apple's support page on making and receiving calls on an iPad:

"Important: Wi-Fi + Cellular models do not support cellular phone service—they support cellular data transmission only. To make phone calls on any iPad model, you need to use Wi-Fi Calling and an iPhone."

Just to add I have used my wifi-only iPad for phone calls using a voip app (Fongo).

HI @Wayne111 

iPad is not designed to receive calls on its own. 

The most you can do is on the iPhone, choose "Allow calls on other devices" and include the iPad so the iPad can picks up calls that are calling to your iPhone

Wayne111

My phone number wasn't showing up as an option, so I don't think the phone number was attached to the device. I do think that just the iMessage and FaceTime were working as they technically wouldn't need a phone number. 

Wayne111

I was using supports compatibility link and it kept directing me to an error page so I couldn't check compatibility. I do however think that is the issue. As you mentioned, iMessage and FaceTime work fine but the actual "phone" functions weren't. I was told other companies SIM cards may work so I will be giving that a try. You would just think that if there's a cellular iPad option, that you could use it for talk/SMS text.

I will try another SIM and will report back 🙂 

Wayne111

Thank you, I will check that out.

Wayne111

I have tried that and unfortunately it does seem to be an issue on the SIM/PM side not on the Apple side. 

Wayne111

Thank you. I do seem to think it's a compatibility issue between the iPad and PM. I will try a different SIM card and see if that works. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Wayne111  I have a iPad Pro latest generation and it has cellular . But it can only get mobile data with  Telus SIM card . I cannot get it to work with public mobile SIM card for whatever the reason . Seems PM does not play nicely with Apple iPad or watches 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Wayne111  Have you tried signing out of the Apple ID and then sign in again?  If you still don't see the phone number in iMessage settings perhaps contact Apple support.  Is there a Send as SMS option in the iMessage settings?  

@Dunkman wrote:

Since iPads are not phones, you can't assign the phone number to the iPad.  Unable to talk/SMS text to phones.  You should be able to iMessage and FaceTime via the iPad using apple ID (ie. email address).  

I'm not so sure about this part. The customer has mentioned that cellular data was working with iMessage and that a Public Mobile eSIM was being used. That would mean that the Public Mobile customer's phone number should be attached to this device and SMS should in theory work.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Wayne111 

Since iPads are not phones, you can't assign the phone number to the iPad.  Unable to talk/SMS text to phones.  You should be able to iMessage and FaceTime via the iPad using apple ID (ie. email address).  

Just did a quick search and it does not seem that iPad 9th generation is 5G compatible, just the 10th generation. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/108787

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Wayne111 , I am not an iPad users, so maybe you can interpret the explanations on how to get SMS working.  As for network connectivity, the 5G speed plan means your data speed is capped at 250 mbits/s.  The plan name has nothing to do with network connectivity.  Any speed plan can have connection to any of 3G/4G/5G network.  If you are only getting 3G, maybe check the network settings to enable LTE/4G.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253521449?sortBy=best

Need Help? Let's chat.