cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free sim/is it real or scam?

stranded_sailor
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i just received a link for a free sim from a person in b.c. they claim to send you a referral code and activation code. they say once you activate with their referral code they will mail it to me. is this real? also this is a craigslist ad i was sent so its someone with an ad on there. tks for advice

8 REPLIES 8

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@stranded_sailor 

I see these Craigslist ads in the Vancouver area but never tried contacting them. As others have indicated that buyers beware if you purchase anything on Craigslist, eBay, FB Marketplace.

Just be careful that it has been activated already.

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stranded_sailor instead of trying to find one for Free, why don't you just buy one for $5-$10 and use someone's Friend Referral Code from a Subreddit to get the $10 back in Account Credit after Activation?

Technically this would make your SIM Card Free since you can use the $10 off your second Bill. 😏🫡🤔

(Unless you already have an Account and your looking to update your SIM Card?) - if so: Redeem Points for Account Credit if you have them Available and use the Available Funds to order a SIM Card directly from Public Mobile here: 

https://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/purchase-sim

I had this same question not that long ago, I made a post regarding how that individual confirms you used their Referral Code. Please view Here.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Yes they broke the rules here. Report them.
Why wait for their mail when you're ordering one online anyway?
If you weren't living in a rural area then maybe you're close to anybody here monitoring (lurking or regular) that would be perfectly willing to give you a sim card without waiting for any mail. I have 6 on hand. Others have plenty.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@stranded_sailor 

why take that chance of getting a bogus sim ! If your phone supports esim, PM is offering free esims for all current plans...for free. If you need a physical sim, just order from good old Amazon...you'll have it in a few days. If you're in a larger community, check with the local Telus outlet or Mobile Klinic to see if they have a sim available to purchase.  That's my suggestion.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

and @stranded_sailor  the code won't be useful to you.  You already have an account, you are just switching to physical sim because your esim not working.  So, you and that seller won't be getting a referral bonus.  I would stay away from that seller

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@stranded_sailor 

Did somebody send you a private message from this community forum?  If so, the sender broke the rules of the forum  You were sent spam and you could report the person.  

As for the offer being legit, buyer beware. Some customers do offer free SIM card or discount card if you use their referral code.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@stranded_sailor 

there are lots of posts like this on eBay or so.  They mainly want to get the referral rewards to cover the cost of the sim.  Use at your own risk

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@stranded_sailor  Could be legit but it’s still taking a chance . They looking for you to use their referral code is all I suspect . But also note if your phone supports eSIM they’re free right now from the website . 

Need Help? Let's chat.