cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free physical SIM card

rjsdesign1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I wanted to set up two accounts, both for my elderly parents. On the website it states the following;

For a limited time, get a FREE eSIM or physical SIM when you subscribe and pick up at one of the following locations.   Upon arriving at the Telus booth as suggested on the locations page, I drove a half hour to the Polo Park mall in Winnipeg.  There I asked the one attendant for the free physical sim as stated on the website. She replied that they only sell the cards and have not received any instructions about offers and free sims. She then called her supervisor two kiosks down and he replied with the same answer. I ventured over to his kiosk and spoke to an East Indian fellow, whose name I do not have and that is why I refer to his nationality.  I told him of the situation and what is posted on the public mobile site.  He told me the SIM cards can be purchased for $20.  I told him the young lady two kiosks down told me $10. I again referred to the free sims and he asked me if I thought he was lying.  That was uncalled for and disrespectful to me, a 65 year old senior.  I'm not sure if he was the manager, there was another gentleman in the kiosk but he said nothing.  I realized he was not going to assist me any further.  I returned to the other kiosk and purchased the two SIM cards for $20. I had no choice at this point.  I asked the young lady if she would be so kind as to pull up the website and there as clear as day, was the limited time offer.  The other gentleman simply treated me with disrespect and should not be a customer service representative as his arrogance left a bad taste for public mobile and Telus.  This all occurred on the morning of May 25th 2024.  I would appreciate a response and of course the free SIM card rebate.  Roy Schiesser, longtime Telus and public mobile customer but that may change based upon the response I receive regarding this most frustrating experience.

8 REPLIES 8

kcorscadden
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Buy the SIM cards, activate account and then contact CS_Support and get a credit on both cards.  That's how I did it a few months back when I signed up and they did it with no problems.

Save your receipt as you will need to scan or take a pic and send it to them as proof of purchase.  They'll need other info like account #, email, etc.  The response back will tell you all they need to do it.

slusagm

@DennyCrane 

but i think that is a price of 2 cards.

but $10 each still too much.  Amazon has it for $4.99

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@rjsdesign1 

It can be confusing.  In past free physical SIM card promotions, you would need to activate your plan and then ask PM to mail your physical SIM card to your home.  Once the SIM cards arrive (ie, within 10 business days), then you can finish the activation and your 30 day cycle starts.  

Telus and Koodo corporate stores are not directly affiliated with Public mobile company itself.  Just sells the physical SIM cards for $10.  As mentioned, you can contact customer service agent to see what CSA can do for you (ie. possible $10 account credit).  

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Side note, but $20 is insane for a sim card. I've never heard of it being more than $10.

slusagm

@rjsdesign1 

you need to first subscribe to a plan to get the free sim card.  

and when you subscribe, choose pickup and not delivery.  Delivary could take up to 3 weeks, too slow

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

I believe process is to subscribe first and then PM will send you SIM or you download eSIM.
Keep those purchased SIMs and see if you can get refund from that kiosk as you are entitled for free SIM as per PM offer. If they refuse at least you would have spare SIMs in case one or both get lost or damaged.

You should contact Telus head office, fund either their phone number or email and file official complain. I bet those kiosks are staffed with temp workers who are not full time Telus employee so today they sell phones, tomorrow potatoes or cars. They do not care.
You can even open a ticket with PM, explain situation and ask for refund. You might get lucky and get refund so PM does not have to send you anything. Do NOT give up!

You are great son taking care of your parents. They must be in their very late 80's or early 90's. Take good care of them!

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @rjsdesign1 

Yes, they may be free on the website, but not locally. Those cost. Check your mail box up top.

Chalupa_Batman_0-1716765107467.png

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@rjsdesign1

you don't pick up the sim first before subscribe.  Instead, you need to subscribe first and choose physical sim. card to ship to you or pick up at a nearby store 

So, download PM app, setup account, pick a plan and choose physical sim and choose to pick up from store.  Once paid, ir will give you the instructions to pickup the free sim

Need Help? Let's chat.