cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

confirm that I can port a number

Al67
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello  I would like to confirm that I can port a number to Public Mobile. Freedom Mobile was unable port the number. Teenagers have outgrown their Speakout plan so we need to change but they dont want to loose their old numbers.

Thanks Al.

37 REPLIES 37

@CannonFodder  Its a fine balance between editing too much and triggering *poof* the magic dragon disappearing post bug and just having to live with a spelling mistake. Every post I happen to reread I will fix the spelling mistake....its my own personal pet peeve hell with autocorrect as it's satanic leader.

@darlicious  Well, if your perfectionist side is in a tizzy over that, I'm quite sure I can find enough of that sort of thing in your posts to send you to the hospital! 😉

@CannonFodder wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541  Agreed...by the time I hit post I was regretting even the suggestion of porting the number while in transit. That area of bc is devoid of retailers selling pm Sims. It would be a great little side business to stock up on pm sims for local sales. There wadnt even a seller in prince Rupert.

Those two sentences, in bold, kinda make me wonder if the OP had a good reason to be hesitant about porting numbers to PM. Although we dug up the info that there's a Telus presence in the area, having ZERO places to get PM SIMs seems a bit odd...... 🤔 

@CannonFodder  Thanks for quoting me in bold.....I now see my spelling mistake highlighted sending  my perfectionist side in a tizzy. I'm off to edit it.......

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541  Agreed...by the time I hit post I was regretting even the suggestion of porting the number while in transit. That area of bc is devoid of retailers selling pm Sims. It would be a great little side business to stock up on pm sims for local sales. There wadnt even a seller in prince Rupert.

Those two sentences, in bold, kinda make me wonder if the OP had a good reason to be hesitant about porting numbers to PM. Although we dug up the info that there's a Telus presence in the area, having ZERO places to get PM SIMs seems a bit odd...... 🤔 

@computergeek541  Agreed...by the time I hit post I was regretting even the suggestion of porting the number while in transit. That area of bc is devoid of retailers selling pm Sims. It would be a great little side business to stock up on pm sims for local sales. There wasn't even a seller in prince Rupert.

@darlicious wrote:

london drugs does have online shipping. I have never asked but can't hurt....call the closest one to you and speak to the electronics department. They may be able to activate the SIM cards on the current promotion. Test that the temporary numbers are working and ship the SIM cards to you. They could also relay the welcome text to you so that you can set up the self serve accounts while you wait for the sim cards to arrive. You could even port the speak out numbers while you wait but probably better to wait until you get them.

If London drugs is willling to do that, I strongly suggest not porting the number in that manner. The number porting would complete before the sim card has been shipped or while it is still in transit. When that happens, the customer will lose access to the phone number because the old carrier's servcie will stop working.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Al67  Your only real option to get a sim card is online. As thrre are no retailers even in prince Rupert that sell public mobile sim cards. Which means you will likely not get the current promotion. But i have a suggestion thats worth a try...london drugs does have online shipping. I have never asked but can't hurt....call the closest one to you and speak to the electronics department. They may be able to activate the SIM cards on the current promotion. Test that the temporary numbers are working and ship the SIM cards to you. They could also relay the welcome text to you so that you can set up the self serve accounts while you wait for the sim cards to arrive. You could even port the speak out numbers while you wait but probably better to wait until you get them.

@Al67 wrote:

Well that looks promising then I think I will just give it a try. I think you guys get rewards for helping yes ? Do I need to do anything on my end for you to get credited & can it be given to the last 2 contributors?

Yeah, I THINK it'll be fine, but no guarantees.

As for rewards, you can hit the "Bravo" button on ANY post that you think was helpful. As @Nezgar  pointed out, only 1 can be selected as the "Solution", and quite frankly, given the extra distance @Nezgar  went, I'd suggest clicking that post as the Solution. 👍

Do come back to the forums, and let us know what happens.....

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Al67 wrote:

Do I need to do anything on my end for you to get credited & can it be given to the last 2 contributors?

You can pick one reply to your topic as the "Solution", but unfortunately only 1. I hope your port goes seamlessly.

Cheers! -N

Al67

Well that looks promising then I think I will just give it a try. I think you guys get rewards for helping yes ? Do I need to do anything on my end for you to get credited & can it be given to the last 2 contributors?

Thanks Al

You're close @CannonFodder !

Theres only 2 prefixes listed on that CNAC site for the Port Edward rate centre, luckily the other one is Telus:

250628TELUS8086In ServicePort Edward

Soooo...  unless it has to be Telus Mobility, it should be good to port, since both carriers indeed exist in the same rate centre!

Just to test, I entered 250-600-5555 into the Change Number/Check Eligibility form on my own account, and it moves onto the form which I think confirms it's eligible:

Screenshot_20200129-203451~2.png

@jsmarjara wrote:

I do not think there should be issue with porting.

Maybe read the OP's post, about the phone number prefix(the last post on page 2 of this thread).....

jsmarjara

I do not think there should be issue with porting. Personally I have ported my speakout no in PM. Speakout says there is no account no but they identify their no with cell no and IMEI of phone. I filled out these two information with pin and its ported in 2 hours.

@Al67 wrote:

area code 250 prefix 600 it is registered to Port Edward BC.

Aaaaand, although I dug up some info, I honestly don't know whether or not that means you can port your number to PM. You'll need someone else, with more knowledge on the topic, to weigh in, and/or maybe you should contact the Moderator team.

Anyway, according to this site, http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm  the 250-600 numbers belong to Rogers..... I suspect you can port the number to PM, but I don't KNOW that for sure.

250_600Number.JPG

@Al67 wrote:

Well, the good news, which you might already be aware of, is that Port Edward is within the boundaries of PM's coverage map. As for that particular "600" prefix, I'm surprised nobody with the knowledge of that sort of thing has replied yet.... will have a look.....

Johnc2780

Be sure not to cancel your current plan until the porting is complete. Set up your public mobile account with a temporary number and, once that is active port the number. It shouldn't take very long for the process to be completed. I did it and in less than 2hours the process was complete.  I've heard it can take a day. In any case you shouldn't have any problems provided you haven't closed your previous supplier account.

Al67

@Al67 wrote:

Yes speakout uses rodgers system which in general can be ported but freedom told me there was an issue with the 600 prefix or location the number is registered to.

ISTR someone mentioning that sort of issue here before..... IIRC, it has something to do with each provider needing to have a presence in certain areas, i.e. some places don't have coverage by various providers. In this particular case, maybe you ought to tell us which area code & prefix(don't include your entire number) you currently have. Although not a guarantee, the chances are pretty good that you'll be able to port to PM, since it's part of the Telus family, with coverage about as good as it gets.

Al67

Yes speakout uses rodgers system which in general can be ported but freedom told me there was an issue with the 600 prefix or location the number is registered to. Should have included that info in the first post sorry. Stepping out will check replies latter.

Thanks for your help

@Al67 wrote:

Thanks I am a sloowww typer all those replys came while writing my last reply. So the best way is to buy 1 sim card and try, which leads to my next question where to buy the card? My local Walmart does not stock any sims  and the closest London drugs is 500 miles away so I guess that leaves Amazon.

Are you SURE the local Walmart doesn't have SIMs? I ask, because it's been mentioned here several times, that some Walmart stores refuse to sell SIMs to customers, UNLESS the customer does an in-store activation. I would think that you'd be able to get a SIM somewhere reasonably close by, i.e. if you have a Walmart nearby, I'd think there must be somewhere else that sells various providers' SIMs.... 🤔 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Al67 wrote:

Thanks I am a sloowww typer all those replys came while writing my last reply. So the best way is to buy 1 sim card and try, which leads to my next question where to buy the card? My local Walmart does not stock any sims  and the closest London drugs is 500 miles away so I guess that leaves Amazon. 

Thanks Al

You can look at this link for other options to buy a SIM:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/get-started

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Al67  Porting from Speak out is not a problem. Be advised that Speakout does not use account numbers so you must use the PIN or the IMEI to port out. Make sure that you have that info beforehand and keep the SO accounts active.

Al67

Thanks Al

@gblackma wrote:

@dabr  not really more Tigers than wolves. Here together. But we play seperately. Lol.

@dabr wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

Lol. @zblackma is my mother.

@dabr wrote:

@gblackma @zblackma   Haha!  I just realized you are both different posters:)

Edit:  AFAIK, only Koodo prepaid requires moderators help to port as both PM and Koodo prepaid share the same backend service.

Nice!  Mother & Son team:)

Haha, competition within the clan:)

@dabr wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

@dabr wrote:

Nice!  Mother & Son TAG team:)

There, I fixed it for ya..... picture Chyna & Hulk Hogan! 😉  😆  ( Bad reference, I suppose, since, apparently, Chyna died a few yrs. ago.)

@dabr  not really more Tigers than wolves. Here together. But we play seperately. Lol.

@dabr wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

@dabr wrote:

Edit:  AFAIK, only Koodo prepaid requires moderators help to port as both PM and Koodo prepaid share the same backend service.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Al67 wrote:

Thanks for the promt reply. So do I need to buy a Public sim card and go through the porting process to test or is there some way the numbers can be checked first. Freedom Mobile was able to check the numbers at their store and told me they could not be ported to their system.

Thanks

There shouldn't be a problem porting as other customers previously from Speakout have ported over.  I believe remembering the phone number is also your account with Speakout is important when activating a new account here.

Also it's a good idea to read the link @Luddite has posted.  Good luck.

@gblackma wrote:

@dabr wrote:

Al67

Thanks for the promt reply. So do I need to buy a Public sim card and go through the porting process to test or is there some way the numbers can be checked first. Freedom Mobile was able to check the numbers at their store and told me they could not be ported to their system.

Thanks

@dabr wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.