cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You are not subscribed to a cellular data service (iphone 5c)

sean7054
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I keep getting this message when trying to use mobile data.

When I go into cellular data options, the only available fields are APN, Username and Password.  I'm using

APN: sp.mb.com

Username: blank

Password: blank

Please can anyone help?

Thanks!

20 REPLIES 20

sean7054

Steps I took:

Deleted my university VPN profile and my unlockit.co.nz profile.

Profiles screen is now empty.

Mobile data now works.

@sean7054  no worry.. as long as issue is resolved we are happy..

i just want to know which is the required steps to solve the issue.

Welcome to PM... Enjoy the saving!!

sean7054

Softech, it was the profiles, which you had suggested earlier.  However I needed the additional explanation from that other post to be convinced to delete them, which is why I chose that other post as the solution.  If I could mark two posts as solution I would choose yours as well though!

@sean7054  which exact steps you did in the end that solved the problem?

sean7054

Thanks for all the help everyone.  Problem solved!

@sean7054 wrote:

I am in the middle of one of Canada's largest cities, so I doubt there is a poor connection to the wireless network.   I was previously with Speakout Wireless and used mobile data flawlessly with this phone.  That simcard still works great for data.

1. I do not wish to delete profiles as these are university VPNs that I rely on for access to the school's network.

You are in Canada's biggest city but it is still lots of poor connection around.  There are many threads about poor signal issues

VPN could be an issue.  If setup with conflict, it could cause connection issue.  But in this case, it might not be the reason

have you check the carrier profile yet?

Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.

To see the version of carrier settings on your device, tap Settings > General > About and look next to Carrier.

sean7054

"@sean7054 

• Remove your SIM, then reinsert it.
  • Toggle into airplane mode for a few minutes, than back to regular mode.
  • Also, Can you try your SIM into another phone to see if data works?"

Removing SIM was not effective.

Airplane more for a few minutes and then back to regular was not effective.

I do not have access to another phone.

sean7054

"is this the full error:

Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service.

This error is common after traveling for some reason. It could be occurring because you have a poor connection to the wireless network,

Try:

1. Clear Profiles

2. Reset Networking

3. Fill in APN info manually."

I am in the middle of one of Canada's largest cities, so I doubt there is a poor connection to the wireless network.   I was previously with Speakout Wireless and used mobile data flawlessly with this phone.  That simcard still works great for data.

1. I do not wish to delete profiles as these are university VPNs that I rely on for access to the school's network.

2. Already tried, no effect.

3. Already tried, no effect.

@sean7054   try connect the iPhone to computer with iTune and download latest update and carrier profile.

or  checking for carrier updates.

go to Settings > General > About, and if there’s a carrier update available, you’ll see a popup that says “Carrier Settings Update”. Click Update to accept it.

You can also try checking for software updates for your phone or tablet. Go to Settings > General > Software Update (connect to WiFi as this requires internet connection):

Install any latest system updates, if available.

@sean7054 wrote:

I tried esjiv's suggestions, but the message persists.

@sean7054 

Go to Settings > General > About, and wait to see if the "Update Carrier Settings?" Dialogue box appears.

Then, hard reset your phone by holding down the Home and Power button until you see the Apple logo.

If that doesn't resolve your connectivity issue: Go to Settings > General > Reset, and tap "Reset Network Settings". Enter your passcode if you have one set.

Tap "Reset Network Settings" again. This will cause your phone to restart, and you will lose all stored Wi-Fi passwords.

However, it usually resolves problems like this. Back up your phone first if you aren't sure you remember all of your Wi-Fi passwords.

sean7054

I tried esjiv's suggestions, but the message persists.

@sean7054 wrote:

I am brand new, just started my service a couple of days ago.  I'm on the $25 per month plan with unlimited talk and text, with 500mb of data (+500mb).  I have not got the data to work yet, so presumably have used none at this point.

@sean7054 

• Remove your SIM, then reinsert it.
  • Toggle into airplane mode for a few minutes, than back to regular mode.
  • Also, Can you try your SIM into another phone to see if data works?
  •  

@sean7054  if you are new to PM and never have data working, have you try connecting your phone to the computer and turn on iTune for latest update and download the Carrier profile?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@sean7054 

Have you just signed up? iPhones requires you to update to to its latest software update and sync with iTunes before it will add the appropriate APN to your phone.

Was your data working before? Have you checked your self serve account to see if you have any data left in your plans current cycle?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@sean7054 

is this the full error:

Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service.

This error is common after traveling for some reason. It could be occurring because you have a poor connection to the wireless network,

Try:

1. Clear Profiles

2. Reset Networking

3. Fill in APN info manually.

sean7054

I am brand new, just started my service a couple of days ago.  I'm on the $25 per month plan with unlimited talk and text, with 500mb of data (+500mb).  I have not got the data to work yet, so presumably have used none at this point.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@sean7054 wrote:

When I go into cellular data options, the only available fields are APN, Username and Password.  I'm using

Please can anyone help?

Thanks!

Hello @sean7054 , Try a RESET of your Network Settings with the public Mobile SIM card inside the phone.

Then reboot your phone.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-iphone

@sean7054 wrote:

Which plan are you on?  Are you a brand new customer?  

If data did work before, I would suggest logging into your self serve account to see how much data is remaining.

Need Help? Let's chat.