cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would it run counter to the terms of service to use a Public Mobile SIM card inside of a laptop PC?

collider2k
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello there, wonderful people of this plucky little forum,

I've been a relatively happy user of the cellular service this forum is about for some years now. At this stage, however, the phone I use the service with is starting to malfunction, and I'm a bit disillusioned with handsets in general.

I am well aware that most laptop PCs supporting cellular connections cannot take or make telephone calls, and do not support Alert Ready. I would forward my calls to another number before moving my SIM over so I can still take telephone calls. Keeping up on emergency alerts is an unsolved question.

My usage pattern in terms of data would increase slightly, and SMS would not significantly change. I would still send a couple tens to hundreds of texts per month and I would still stay well within my data plan.

I can see nothing in the terms of service that runs directly counter to what I'd like to do here.

9 REPLIES 9

Milk
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Have tried using a PM Sim on my iPad but it didn't work. If your phone is acting up but still sort of working then I suggest that before you buy a new phone try to completely erase your phone and re-set it as new phone. Good luck.

You can buy LTE or 5G tablets/laptops - they have built-in cellular radio, SIM slot, etc.

But choices are limited. You get whatever prebuilt hardware they offer - very limited selection of form factor, processor, memory, storage, etc, mostly put together with good cellular capability but otherwise not-so-great and not-so-new tech. They are also primarily marketed in USA and EU, so options are further limited to only the models which are compatible with Canadian cellular networks.

And prices are high. You pay a premium for this converged device convenience. You could almost certainly buy a cheaper and maybe better laptop plus a low-/mid-end LTE/5G smartphone for less money.

I personally think it's foolish to use (costly and limited) cellular data on an actual computer with actual internet demands. It's a cost-ineffective approach on multiple levels. Even the people who tether data quickly learn to do so very cautiously. You'll be buying yourself regrets. But people are gonna do what people are gonna do.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@collider2k There used be have computer that had a sim card slot but I'm not sure there's any new computer that has sim card slot. If you have a computer that has a sim card slot then you can try it. Some iPad have sim card slot too. 

@softech 

moi aussi

thanks @hairbag1   missed that.. i am cheap and looking for chaaper plans. LoL

@softech 

I think PM has a plan with 35GB's data for $65.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

You should be able to use your PM SIM in any compatible device as long as that device can access mobile network and use data you have ono your plan.

I doubt you will violate any TOS as you will use data you paid for until exhausted.

You can get certified refurbished phone from PM or look at kijiji or similar sites.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@collider2k   you can definitely use it on laptop., I don't see that it will violate any TOC

But just a reminder, most PM's plan does not come with a lot of data (the biggest plan is just 25GB   35GB), so make sure you turn off of those automatic update, OS update and kill those unnecessary app or your data will be drained fast

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@collider2k 

unless I'm misunderstanding your question...the sim will only function properly in a cell phone with at least one sim slot. If the phone is dying...I'd suggest getting a replacement. Top of this page click Shop / Phones to see a selection of gently used cell phones of various flavours...all with a 1 year warranty.

Need Help? Let's chat.