cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With new provider with a new number, need to deactivate my pm number immediately and not in 90 days

BeckyB
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Decided to go with a new provider and changed my number at this time. I need to deactivate my old number on PM immediately as I can even access my bank account because it keeps recognizing my old PM number. I can not wait 90 days. 

10 REPLIES 10

@tzliu wrote:

As @softech  mentioned, you need to talk to your bank to update with the new number; OR port out the number (if you still have the PM sim card and had yet closed your account) then update your number.  First option is much simple and better. 

Unfortunately, porting the number to another carrier wouldn't disable/deactivate the phone number (although that really shouldn't be necessary). Porting to another carrier would only make it so that the 2FA authentication would be sent by the bank to the old phone number at the new carrier.

@BeckyB wrote:

Everything is changed with the bank.  It’s the fact my old number is not deactivated that’s causing issues.   I have contacted a CS agent. Thanks 

There's no reason for this to be the case.  The bank can and needs to remove all references to your old phone number. This isn't a Public Mobile issue, and unfortunately, Public Mobile wouldn't be able to help with this. Also, I do not believe that customers support agents have an easy way to deactivate the phone number on a prepaid account.  Even so, even if a customer support ageent could do it, that sitll wouldn't help.  It's entirely up to your bank to make sure that there is no link remaining to your old phone number.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@BeckyB wrote:

Decided to go with a new provider and changed my number at this time. I need to deactivate my old number on PM immediately as I can even access my bank account because it keeps recognizing my old PM number. I can not wait 90 days. 

@BeckyB   Can you clarify what you mean by your first sentence (bolded part)? 

@BeckyB wrote:

Everything is changed with the bank.  It’s the fact my old number is not deactivated that’s causing issues.   I have contacted a CS agent. Thanks 

@BeckyB - yeah, this is odd. Why is a deactivated number with public mobile causing you issues?  Sounds more device related; are you an iphone?

Deregister the number on the iphone: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Set up your phone number On your iPhone:

1. Go to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is on. You might need to wait a moment for it to activate.
  2. Tap Send & Receive. If you see “Use your Apple ID for iMessage,” tap it and sign in with the same Apple ID that you use on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch.
  3. In the "You can receive iMessages" section, make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected.
  4. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected in the "You can be reached by FaceTime at" section.

Is this an iphone? Can you check the settings in your Apple ID? I'm not sure. But it might be something to look at. An Apple expert can have more certain information.

It otherwise seems impossible what you're saying.

tzliu
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As @softech  mentioned, you need to talk to your bank to update with the new number; OR port out the number (if you still have the PM sim card and had yet closed your account) then update your number.  First option is much simple and better. 

BeckyB
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Yes, you need to set your bank up with your new number. The bank has no clue that you changed numbers.

For here, log in and turn off autopay. That will stop it from renewing. That will suspend your service. 90 days later it will fully deactivate.

Or, port your number over to the new service and the bank will still know the number.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@BeckyB this is a bank issue, deactivated your apm account does not mean the bank will then take your new number on the new provider .  You really need to check with your bank 

but if you need to close the account immediately, please open ticket with PM support 

1. Please open ticket via Chatbot (need access to My Account): At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you have trouble with Chatbot or you don't have access to My Account: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@BeckyB  If you port your number out from PM it will automatically close the account and if you don’t want to disable auto pay only other option is to have support remove cc Info right away 

Getting support / submit ticket

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to our Agents. Click here                 

Or while your already here and logged in the community

• you can send a private message to our  CS_Agents by clicking here.

Need Help? Let's chat.