cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnipeg, Branon Region Service March 16

jai2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I'm curious if anyone in Winnipeg got affected today with an outage. Last month I received a text from Public Mobile stating that on March 16, 2021 you may have noticed a difference in your calling coverage and to maintain best coverage to call 1-866-975-3058.

I called this number today and the rep asked me about my plan and wanted to switch me over to Koodo plan. I gave most of my personal details including my DOB / CC / and almost my driver's license number for a credit check and I got this gut feeling and told her I wasnt comfortable switching over and hung up. 

I'm not sure if this was a legitimate number, so I called my credit card company and cancelled my CC. 

What is going on? Can someone confirm? Do Winnipeggers have to switch? What is better option? Is Lucky Mobile a better alternative? 

24 REPLIES 24

roeroeroe
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This has been very frustrating for me. My wife is with PM and I am with Koodo. 
I brought my own Android google phone to Koodo. I have no desire to change my phone or my plan (had for 3 years now)
I disregarded their attempts to keep harrassing me with automated messages. Anytime I wanted to make a phone call, I had to listen to a 30 second automated message, telling me again and again about the impending network upgrade. I called Koodo and told them that this is not tolerable and I want it gone. It took several tech people to "reset" my account or something on their end. The automated messages were then finally gone.
March 16th has come and gone and my phone is working just fine, making calls like before all throughout Winnipeg and other areas.
However now the automated messages are back. Now it says: the network is recently upgraded and you may lose coverage. I called Koodo and over 1.5 hours and several escalations with their reps, they accepted the fact that this is pure harrassment. My wife has Public Mobile and an even older phone (iPhone). She only received several text messages about the same network upgrade. That's it. No automated messages and harrassment. I don't understand why Koodo has to do this.  They were able to perform another "reset" on their end, where their system is supposedly configured to note that my device is not compatible with volte (which it is) so that the automated messages will not be generated. The very next day, they started again.
I'm DEFINITELY making a complaint to the CCTS. and calling them again. I don't give a $hit , they cannot force consumers to give up and give in to their demands to buy new phones from them. It's not even a financial thing for me, it's just the blatant bullying. They offered several deals to make me go away. Their whole "list of compatible devices" is arbitrary from what I can tell. Telus does indeed support my google pixel phone to conduct volte, but Koodo has chosen not to support my device. That's fine. They can either cut off my service entirely, which will force me to switch carriers. But they can't randomly not "support" my phone, when everything works fine and all my cell coverage is apparently unchanged - while continuing the automated messages. I use the phone for work and can't tolerate a 30 second message prior to each call.
I kept telling them - what if I want to move to Steinbach, or Morden, or Dauphin or anywhere else for that matter. I will not be affected by your network upgrades at all (Wpg and Brandon), but my phone is now locked into a network-wide automated message frenzy. Bull$hit. I know that they can just suspend these messages from their system for all users, but are chosing not to.
I will provide an update on what happens in the next couple days. Any recommendations are appreciated.
If you are also willing to send a complaint to the CCTS, please do so. Thanks.

@darlicious  ha.. i meant maybe we all got force to move over there  😞    Given the changing of the mobile landscape this week (Rogers takes over Shaws), maybe the Big3 decide they no longer need Tier3.  Of course, let's hope not

@hTideGnow wrote:

@brad_br  thanks for keeping us informed here   Hope you enjoy Koodo.  And one day,  maybe we will all one big family again (no more tier 3 and we all moved to Koodo 🙂  ) 

@hTideGnow 

Hahaha......not! I wouldn't touch koodo with a 10 foot pole. I'm very happy with pm and my $0 bills. Long live public mobile!

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I live in Winnipeg & I haven't had any issues with voice calling since March 16 so far. I tested with my wife & my dad, & we all had no issues. 

@brad_br  thanks for keeping us informed here   Hope you enjoy Koodo.  And one day,  maybe we will all one big family again (no more tier 3 and we all moved to Koodo 🙂  ) 

brad_br

These plans were only for PM customers affected by the Winnipeg / Brandon network change.

@brad_br wrote:

Koodo is post paid. The plans that I were offered, were approximately the same as PM. For example for $15 per month, unlimited calling in Canada (outgoing and incoming) and 250 MB vs. $13 per 30 days (assuming auto top up) for 100 minutes outgoing and unlimited incoming and 250 MB (this is the plan before the February change).

@brad_br  Is this Koodo plan a regular plan everyone can get or they only offer to PM customers in this situation only?

@jai2 wrote:

My son lost network coverage right around his school area but when he gets home, he gets network. Sucks. 

You really wont know until you try to use your phone in multiple places or you start missing your calls.

I guess you are going to switch your son to another provider?  It's for son, you cant take a chance 

brad_br

Koodo is post paid. The plans that I were offered, were approximately the same as PM. For example for $15 per month, unlimited calling in Canada (outgoing and incoming) and 250 MB vs. $13 per 30 days (assuming auto top up) for 100 minutes outgoing and unlimited incoming and 250 MB (this is the plan before the February change).

Dtack

Koodo was going to offer the same price as Public Mobile and my phone would work with the Volte network, but it was postpaid. Another place I checked was through Superstore PC Mobile - it looked good as well and had some bonuses as either Chatr or Lucky.  If I need to change down the road I will review all the providers at that time.  So sorry your son has to change providers!  

brad_br

Thanks for letting me know that you have not experience any major problems as I am advising several other PM users locally as to whether to switch or not. I did it in part because of the noted network change, not because I am unhappy with PM (I was paying only $3 per 30 days), but I did want access to the WIFI feature so I could use a cell phone reliably where I lived. If my time machine was working, I would not have switched, but I have to make the best of a bad situation.

Dtack

I didn't switch at all  - I stayed with Public Mobile and all is great!  The same prepaid service I was already on.

jai2

My son lost network coverage right around his school area but when he gets home, he gets network. Sucks. 

You really wont know until you try to use your phone in multiple places or you start missing your calls.

brad_br

Where I live, and I suspect this is true everywhere, LTE disappears much sooner than 3G given the digital footprint of LTE compared to 3G. For example, I can barely receive LTE (108 db or higher) while 3G is around 89 to 98 db.

With Koodo, my Galaxy Core does voice and text, but no data at all. I activate mobile data and there is no symbol showing a connection.

jai2

Thank you for your response. Were you able to stay on a PrePaid plan or did they switch you over to Post Paid?

I would rather stay on PrePaid but they insisted to switch me over to PostPaid. This line was for my son who I signed up for emergency purpose. I'm still in the debate if I should go Koodo or Lucky.

Dtack

Hi - I am also from Winnipeg and had prepared ahead of time with prices etc. for a switch to another provider if needed.  I have not noticed any difference in my voice calling (which should have been the only impact of on our phones)  Data and texting was not affected.  I'm glad I didn't make any changes as everything has worked fine and so far no dead zones.  If something changes down the road at that time I may change.  You certainly don't have to change if everything is working.  I have loved PM and didn't want to change, so am happy everything has turned out.

@brad_br wrote:

I bought a new phone as my old phone did not support VoLTE and without that support, I have no access to my data on my plan.

LTE without VoLTE would still support data, just not voice calls if no 3G coverage.

brad_br

To be clear, there was no connection fee to change from Public Mobile to Koodo, as you are right, that would have been very bad. However, Koodo did try to charge me a connection fee when I bought a new phone as my old phone did not support VoLTE and without that support, I have no access to my data on my plan. For more details on the problems that I encountered with the switch see my post on Koodo Community Pages at https://community.koodomobile.com/other-80596/switching-to-koodo-from-public-mobile-due-to-public-mo....

I am posting what happened to me on the Public Mobile and Koodo sites in order to help those who may need to switch due to the recent changes in Winnipeg and Brandon service or future changes in other locations in Canada for which this type of switch is required so they can avoid the problems that I ran into (I hope).

@brad_br 

Koodo did try to charge me a connection fee and after a one and a hour telephone conversation, Koodo did rescind it, only because I had bought the phone at retail price, not at a store, but online.

That's bad, you got "forced" to change to Koodo and they still try to charge you connection fee.  They should have given you "freebies" for the inconvenient caused.. 

brad_br

Because I was concerned about the signal change, I did make the switch to Koodo. Given my switching experience, if you do find that you have to make the switch to Koodo because you find the service degradation too much to bear in Winnipeg or Brandon, then I suggest that before switching to Koodo, make sure your current phone is on the list of approved Koodo devices (see https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte). If not, note which phone you wish to use and either buy it for the full retail price from Koodo (Koodo gives a discount on its plan to compensate so the net price is cheaper than at Staples) at the time when you make the switch OR buy an unlocked version with the appropriate model number before contacting Koodo and ask for a SIM card when switching to Koodo. If you do not do the foregoing, Koodo will charge you a connection fee (currently $45).

Koodo did try to charge me a connection fee and after a one and a hour telephone conversation, Koodo did rescind it, only because I had bought the phone at retail price, not at a store, but online.

The plan prices are approximately equivalent, unless you were on the $10 plan or had sufficient discounts due to loyalty and referrals.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jai2 , there is no need to switch.  It is early days but if you see actual differences in cellular performance, particularly calling and receiving calls while indoors in large buildings and basements, then you can decide next steps.  The community would certainly welcome feedback from ground zero.  BTW, I have friends in Winnipeg on Public Mobile.  I have not heard anything from them yet.  So the network switch has had no noticeable effect.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Details here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Text-From-PM-About-Changes-To-Mani...

Don't listen to Koodo rep, you might not need to move if it does not affect you.  check your voice and data signals around the area you go most often first

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jai2 : If your services are still working then you should be fine. The change is that your coverage might be lessened as one of the two frequencies used here has been re-purposed.

Need Help? Let's chat.