cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling & Apple Watch pairing

Andy1613
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is there anyone else out there that has an issue with not being able to connect to wifi calling and/or Apple Watch pairing through their mobile device ?   I live in a remote area, and find this could very well be a potential safety concern. It may never ever happen, and I hope it doesn’t, but what if myself, or people like myself that live in remote areas, have to call an emergency number for help, and the cell service is just not there ??
  My neighbours (some of them) have the same cellular device as me, but a different provider, and their phone accepts both these features which is fantastic !!  Me and my family, and the dozen friends I’ve gotten to join public mobile, have been loyal for probably over 5 years now.  I love public mobile, but I feel as though they should be able to provide both of these services……. I’m not sure how it works, but I’m only guessing that it wouldn’t cost them very much to “flick a switch”.  
  Please leave me some feedback on what you think.  I’m sure they read these threads to see what’s happening within their community to see if they can help.   Idk.  
  Again, let’s have a good conversation on this (my) issue and more than likely lots more people.  

15 REPLIES 15

Boby_Desuza

I searched on every forum on internet and eventually end up fixing this by connecting your Apple Watch to WiFi. Here are some steps you can try to fix the issue:-

1. WiFi Network:- Confirm you're connecting to a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network. Apple Watches don't support 5 GHz networks. Check your router settings or network information if unsure.
2. Bluetooth:- Ensure Bluetooth is enabled on your iPhone, as it's required for the Watch to connect to WiFi. (Settings > Bluetooth on iPhone)
3. Forget Network:- Try forgetting the WiFi network on both your iPhone and Apple Watch. Then, reconnect on both devices with the correct password.

4. Restart Devices:- A simple restart of your iPhone and Apple Watch can sometimes resolve connection issues.
5. Reset Network Settings (on iPhone):- Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. After resetting, reconnect to your WiFi network on your iPhone and your Watch should automatically pick it up.

6. Check Watch OS Update:- Ensure your Apple Watch is running the latest version of watchOS. Updates often include bug fixes and improvements related to connectivity. More assistance below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1NIyl9bKGM&ab_channel=TheGeekPage

Andy1613

Thank you !!

Andy1613

Thanks for your reply!!   That’s why I asked the question on here.  Maybe, if there’s enough interest, they may make it available….. maybe 

Andy1613

Someone just mentioned something about VoLTE.  I have no idea about it or how it works.  But as far as the wifi calling, just would be nice so we can call out with our cell from home.  Cell booster works very little where I live

Andy1613

I know they don’t offer wifi calling.  That’s 1/2 of what my post was about.   I’m trying to get the word out there that it would be nice if they could do something to make it work.  

@Andy1613   for your Apply watch, if you are using "passthrough" then as long as the phone can connect the network, your watch can call as long as it is close enough to the phone.

No, PM will not have Wifi Calling as far as we know.  But it is in the process of having VoLTE. 

VoLTE is Voice Over LTE.  At the moment, all voice calls are on 3G network, which ever plans you have.  If you have poor 3G connection , then you will miss some voice calls in the current setup. Once VoLTE is enabled, your call can travel on LTE network. 

So, if you have stable LTE network  in your remote area, then VoLTE is something good for your.  However, if you have poor LTE signal (or poor signal overall), VoLTE would not help and you are correct, you will need Wifi Calling.  But if you need, that, consider going with Kooro or Telus instead

But there is still free workaround.  You can download VoIP app like Fongo or TextNow.  Then you can make and receive calls (and text) using the app.  And it will work on Mobile data or Wifi.  So, in case your mobile network has problem but you have home Wifi, you can use the VoIP app as a workaround

To make it safer, you can also setup Forwarding when not available or unreachable to your VoIP number.  So, incoming calls will be forwarded to your VoIP app in case the Mobile network has any issue

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Based on your need, Public Mobile may not be the right provider for you. I'm all for budget cell phone service, but if I didn't get proper service at my home I'd be switching to a provider that offered wifi calling, regardless of the cost. I honestly don't see Public Mobile getting this feature anytime soon. They may never get it, as they are no frills provider.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Andy1613 wrote:

I’m not sure what VoLTE is.  But as far as the connection of watch goes, that’s also a feature they could have.  It pairs itself with your phones SIM card  (from what I can figure) but you need permission from the carrier to do so ??  I’m not sure.   I’m new to the watch. (It’s actually my daughters watch)

@Andy1613   That's not how it works (that provider approves permission).. For Apple Watch you have 2 options:
1. Use dedicated eSim for Apple Watch and that usually costs $10 per month. In that case you can use watch without phone to make calls

2. Use Bluetooth to call on AppleWatch but you need your phone nearby and have signal on it. 

Public Mobile does not support eSims (for now) and option 1 will not work. For option 2 you need nothing except to pair AppleWatch with your iPhone which I assume you already did..

And as previous posts said, there is no WiFi calling. 

It is up-to-you to make a call what is more important. Can you live without these 2 features? Personally, I would NEVER pay extra $10 per month to have phone connection on Apple Watch (while it does sound cool, my phone is always with me and it is a bit akward to talk to Watch, small speaker, unless you have airpods no privacy). 

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

In the past I was advised by one of the Oracles that PM does not offer WIFI calling so if correct that should be the end of this. If I misunderstood please someone tell me so that I may set-up WIFI calling.

With regards to using an Apple Watch - I do have one - all exited when first purchased but now it just rests in my drawer - It's much too small to clearly and easily read and use so for me it was wasted $$$$.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

From what I understand, these watches use an esim (not used here) which links to your account services via cell. That's still cell. And they aren't standalone cellphone watches.

The other idea of wifi calling (not offered here) still needs a sim (or esim) but doesn't need the cell service but of course needs a wifi access point.

So that's two parts needed for here to do what you are looking for.

Volte doesn't enter into this discussion.

Maybe a cell booster antenna would be useful to get better reception (not getting into the watch part).

Andy1613

I’m not sure what VoLTE is.  But as far as the connection of watch goes, that’s also a feature they could have.  It pairs itself with your phones SIM card  (from what I can figure) but you need permission from the carrier to do so ??  I’m not sure.   I’m new to the watch. (It’s actually my daughters watch)

Andy1613

Right.  But this is what I was stating.  They don’t support wifi calling, but i wish they would. 

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think PM looks at cost/benefit when offering services.  I'd personally prefer they work on VoLTE and get off of 3G for voice.  I don't know what the audience is for connecting their Apple watch with LTE to PM.  Of the people I know that have Apple watches, few have the LTE model and no one I personally know uses LTE on their watch.  Your use case sounds unique for sure.  Nothing stopping you from using a diff provider for connecting your Apple watch to cellular and staying with PM for your phone carrier.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Andy1613 

Just to let you know that PM doesn’t support Wifi Calling. Maybe this is the issue.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sadly I doubt they ever will offer these services, they are slow to add any new features, it's no frills here after all.

Need Help? Let's chat.