cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if I lose both my email account and my phone? (Hypothetically)

lockup
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thankfully I'm not in this situation, but I'm just wondering how I could recover my account and what information I'd need to do so. I just want to be prepared.

7 REPLIES 7

lockup

Would it be a good solution to do this?

1. Disable 2FA.

2. Screenshot all the relevant information that I need to recover.

3. Set the recovery phone number to a family member 's phone number (with their permission)

4. Set the account email to (phonenumber)@msg.telus.com

That's kind of along the lines of what I wanted to do.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@lockup 

I suggest you do disable 2FA so you can easily access your account otherwise it's difficult to do so and with the introduction of 2FA it makes it easy for someone with your phone to access it as well and before you can if 2FA is enabled.

Make sure you use a security lock on your phone and to be really safe don't stay logged into your email account on your phone. Make sure you have a separate email for 2FA verification on your email account that you can access without your phone. Make sure you have "Find your phone" enabled.

Always keep a spare Sim card on hand in case you need it to gain access to your phone number if you lose your phone (accidentally or if it's stolen). If you need to swap Sim cards in your account enable 2FA before swapping out your Sim card and disable it again after you have successfully swapped Sim cards.

It's best to use an account specific email on your pm account as well as a unique password. Do not use the same email and password on different accounts.

Take a screenshot of your account profile and transcribe it along with your email, password, 4 digit account pin #, Sim card #, account #, payment card details and the IMEI # of your phone. Put all of this in a safe and secure place that only you or someone you trust can access.

Edit:

The alternative phone number can be used for verification and occasionally its used for tech support....but rarely.

lockup

Actually could I use the "Alternative phone number" to recover?

@lockup Public Mobile doesn't have security questions.

lockup

How do I set security questions?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@lockup 

You can disable the 2FA on your account but I wouldn’t suggest it.

If you lose access to your email and your phone. You can still login to your accounts and click on Report Lost/Stolen Phone so the phone will be Blacklisted.

Best option is to leave 2FA enable and if this happens, just contact a CS_Agent and verify your credentials (record your PIN, security questions etc) so you can access your account.

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lockup  If you scroll down a few questions someone had that problem and answers are there 

Need Help? Let's chat.