cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What add-on to have and how to activate it, want to answer and make calls ,travelling to the US

ZandreBKY
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Am travelling to the US and would like to know what add-ons i need and how to activate the add-on. I had a very bad experience last year. bought add on data(2GB and 3GB) and 500 minutes one time international bonus but couldn't make or receive a call. Couldn't use the data either. I still still have the data and minutes ,can I use them? or do I need to buy new add-ons? if I can use them what do I need to do to be able to use them.

Please I need your help

Thanks

Zandre

21 REPLIES 21

For data usage while roaming you'll need that top toggle on. The next line is very promising if sim 1 is the Public Mobile sim. But sometimes some phones might have this toggle but volte might not have been enabled. The next drop down is right.
For some more volte verification, dial *#*#4636#*#* and see if it works. It might not. Lower down in a grey area look for volte provisioned. If on then great.
Also, go into settings, about phone, status information, sim card status - and look for any mention of IMS and then if it says registered.

ZandreBKY

This is what I have is it goodThis is what I have is it goodis this ok, Or I need to get a different phone

SlickToxic
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

1zG of data largest Canadian addon? Nothing larger?

They expire after 30 days?

@ZandreBKY wrote:

I have an android, Samsung. how do I go about

Go to Settings > Mobile Networks > Network Mode. Here you will see if your phone has the option of selecting a 4G/LTE mode. If the mode is listed, your phone is 4G enabled.

@ZandreBKY wrote:

HI @ZandreBKY 

1. Tap the Apps icon on the home screen or slide down from the top of the screen.
  2. Tap the Settings/Gear icon.
  3. Tap Connections.
  4. Tap Mobile networks. Note: If you are running Android 8 or higher, tap Roaming.
  5. Make sure Data roaming is enabled.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@ZandreBKY  you need to choose a 15 day US roaming add on from your account on subscription add on page and note US roaming starts as soon as it’s purchased . The other option is to change plan to a CAN /US plan. In the same subscription add on page 

ZandreBKY

Yes, you need those roaming add-ons to use features in the states. There's also talk/text and data-only. It's kind of the whole point of roaming, to be able to use features in the roaming-able area.

@ZandreBKY wrote:

Can I buy the add-on now, my trip is on the 29th.

How do I check if my phone has LTE or VolLTE

Don't buy now. You should buy on 29th.

If your phone is iPhone, then >settings>Cellular Data Options>Voice& Data >enable LTE.

@ZandreBKY 

You can use your US Roaming.
The WiFi option is just as backup if you need it.

ZandreBKY

with the $30/15days can you call US numbers for free and answer US calls while in the US?

ZandreBKY

If there's no wifi how do I communicate? . I need to have better options than depend on wifi to communicate freely 

Hi @ZandreBKY 

don't buy now.  if you buy today, the 15 days count starts today.  Buy on the 28th or even 29th right before you trip

For VoLTE, what phone you have? if you have a recent phone, T-Mobile and AT&T will use VoLTE for voice then

and yes, remember to make sure you connect to T-Mobile or AT&T when you are there, start with T-Mobile

ZandreBKY

Can I buy the add-on now, my trip is on the 29th.

How do I check if my phone has LTE or VolLTE

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

2023-05-17 19_55_49-Window.png

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

2023-05-24 22_46_45-Canada's First 5G Subscription Phone Service _ Public Mobile.png

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@ZandreBKY As someone suggested you need purchase US Data, talk and text for $30 for 15 days. The 500 international minutes you have that you can't use in USA, it only works when you make a call to other country when you are in Canada.

When you enter USA, make sure turn on data, roaming on. If phone can't automatically connect to T-Mobile, then manually to connect it. Make sure LTE or VoLTE is on your phone. For some case if your phone connect to AT&T, you can call and text but data won't work. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

It sounds like you bought the Canada add-ons. They stay on your account until finished. (now the data is 30 days). The roaming add-ons only last 15 days.

Do you know if your phone has been enabled for volte yet? If so then talk should be no problem. Is your phone set to 4G LTE or 5G? When you get there, set it to 4G LTE.
If your phone has not been enabled then the phone needs to be able to switch down to 2G GSM or you'll need to be able to do it manually. And that's T-Mobile only.
Turn on roaming data.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@ZandreBKY 

You will need to purchase USA Roaming. There are plans just for talk & text or talk, text plus data.

You can use WhatsApp or TextNow for calling and texting on WiFi as backup if you need it.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@ZandreBKY 

you need the 15 Day US Roaming add-on..talk/text and 3GB's data for $30 / 15 days.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @ZandreBKY 

You will need US roaming add-on, buy either US roaming Text and Talk only  or US Roaming Bundle with Talk and Text and Data ($30)

to buy, wait till closer to your trip (that there is a 15 days time ), and go to My Account, Subscription & Add-ons and buy there

Need Help? Let's chat.