cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We need Public Mobile App

mintpanda
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been using Public Mobile before, then Lucky and came back to Public Mobile. I realized it is really hard to track down data usage. I tried many third party apps to track down usage, but these sometimes show inaccurate data.

Lucky and Chatr both got app that customers can track down usage. And Koodo has mobile-friendly website at least to check usage.

I think it would be way better to have an app to check usage, so it would be easier for customers to access their account.

17 REPLIES 17

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

No we do not, no we do not, nah, nah, nah, nah...

You want service price increase? Somebody has to pay to develop app. Then to test. Then to support as it will be developed by cheapest possible contractor. And what that app will give me more than I currently have?

No thanks. KISS principle is the best.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

No we do not!

What is the point? Phone's screen is way to small for any serious work unless you were born with the phone attached to you.

Any account manipulation, community is way more nicer to handle using real keyboard and mouse. Call me old fashioned but PM app will never be installed to my phone...

Low costs and Rewards are good.

My main concern is cluttering my phone up with junkware. An app is just more bloat that slows stuff down, constantly invades my privacy, constantly sips my precious data, and constantly threatens to suddenly break apart when it's not allowed to update. So unless it can actually do something useful which can't be accomplished without an app, I'd rather not bother with it at all.

@mintpanda 

Lucky and chat have an app and we have rewards. An app will tell me how much my bill is but it doesn't pay your bill. I'll take the latter....thx.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mintpanda 

The Hermit app suggestion is a good one.  If the issue is a lack of friendliness with the My Account feature, you could always send feedback to Public Mobile on your challenges with it for them to consider.

I've mentioned this before, that I hope we don't get an app, because it's more overhead and increases pressure on their operations, which in turn improves a likelihood for increased costs.  As a bare bones no frills provider, I'd rather the lower cost - that's why we're all here.  In fact, we already get quite a lot of options and flexibility with plans/data/etc so my personal vote is against an app.  🙂

mintpanda

Self serve page isn't even friendly to mobile view. Also Chatr and Lucky offers app to keep track on usage, even Koodo has at least mobile-friendly self serve webpage. I think at least mobile-friendly view on self serve webpage would do better... Even Freedom does it...

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@mintpanda 

Why do we need Public Mobile App?

What could an app do which can't already be done through Self-Serve?

I'm not trying to dismiss the idea. I'm trying to ask what benefit the app might offer, what reason(s) Public Mobile might need/want to bother creating and maintaining such an app.

It's easy to say "We Need An App!" - everybody has an app these days. But it's not so easy to figure out why We Need An App, what it will actually do, how it will actually improve anything. Without answering these questions the app is basically just a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

@srlawren suggestion is certainly fun.. I might check to make one wrap around the Community Forum..

or if OP just want something easy. more like a Favorite , easy shortcut.. try using Chrome and get to the Self Serve Site, the click 3 dots on tip and select Add to Hone Screen.   That would create a simple home screen shortcut.

@mintpanda 

If you really want the PM app you can have one it just takes a little more work on your part to install it because it doesn't come directly from the playstore but via @srlawren !😃

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Very-Partial-workaround-for-lack-of-P...

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Usage

Plan changes

tracking the rewards 

bill payments + voucher 

chat feature 

These are major things required in the app.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Not sure it will happen. Tells does not like apps too much.  Koodi used to have it but Telus killed it couple years ago.. With that record, I doubt we will see the app here

Anonymous
Not applicable

@canadianerk wrote:

Does rotating your device and turning on desktop mode for the tab improve things? 

Pinch and zoom. Yes on landscape that would be a little less effort. I don't think there's any particular difference between desktop mode or not.

canadianerk

for me at least, there isn't much need for me to track data usage regularly. No overage fees + in-device data warning at 2 GB below limit to account for different numbers, has had me feeling indifferent tbh.

At the bare minimum, I will agree that the mobile version of the site should be improved - thankfully I have regular access to some form of laptop so whenever I do feel the need to check. Does rotating your device and turning on desktop mode for the tab improve things? 

@mintpanda wrote:

So are Chatr and Lucky third tier provider. My previous provider, Lucky had an app, although there was a delay in time for usage to update (So it was not like real time usage). At least mobile friendly web page would do better.

Yes, third tier.

mintpanda

So are Chatr and Lucky third tier provider. My previous provider, Lucky had an app, although there was a delay in time for usage to update (So it was not like real time usage). At least mobile friendly web page would do better.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you have an Android phone there is an unofficial app called Data Witness.  PM is a third tier provider so it is unlikely they would invest time and resources to develop an app.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@mintpanda 

Doubt there ever will be an app. Too many bugs on the web version that still needs to be fixed. Having an app would mean even more maintenance for PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.