cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE on my phone

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

Today I get message from PM: 

"Public Mobile here! We've enabled VoLTE (Voice over Long-term Evolution) on our network.

To enjoy uninterrupted voice services while roaming in the U.S. a VoLTE  certified device and a VoLTE enabled network are required.

Great news, your current device supports VoLTE. Please note that your settings require an update. Visit publicmobile.ca/get-help/articles/volte to learn how to activate VoLTE now."

My phone is iPhone 8 Plus from PM.

23 REPLIES 23

@illogique wrote:

@softech 

weird when i enter my IMEI it show armor x3 that is GSM / HSPA instead of the armor x5 GSM / HSPA / LTE

so yeah does say phone is not compatible

@illogique 

Thanks for testing. 

I thanks the result from Telus' page is not reliable

I think all it does is to check if it is a model that Telus sold,  If it is , it will show Compatible.   ( it doesn't care if it is a Rogers/Bell phone as the model is pretty much same) . 

So, as long as it is a Canadian sold model, it will show compatible 

Even same phone if it is a US model, it will show incompatible

And a Chinese phone like ulefone armor , which is not a Canadian phone, it will show incompatible

illogique
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@softech 

weird when i enter my IMEI it show armor x3 that is GSM / HSPA instead of the armor x5 GSM / HSPA / LTE

so yeah does say phone is not compatible

@illogique 

do you mind to run the Telus VoLTE IMEI check and see what result showing there?

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

(expand the section: Check if your phone is supported) 

I have a feeling it will show it is not compatible.  Just want to confirm if the Telus check is accurate or not

illogique

my phone just switch to volte without receiving any text message.

ulefone armor x5

Hi @dabr problem is the official text is not that official either.  Someone said he got a text saying Yes but does not work 😂

@hTideGnow   True enough, will have to wait and see when that phone receives the official text! 😁

Hi @dabr S7 is compatible according to Telus IMEI check.  But again, working in Telus does not mean it work here

@popping    I don't have an Iphone, but after switching WIFI off, I notice the LTE/LTE+ and 4G when making a call.   However, none of that appears to mean VoLTE is working as I've discovered after doing some tests and officially (according to Telus IMEI check and PM text) my phone does not support VoLTE although I thought that was supposed to only apply to really old devices, i.e., 2017 or earlier?   And it would seem S7 (2016?) is compatible according to the IMEI check.

hi @smp99 @LitlLdy PM like all carriers know out IMEI and it is stored.  SIM +IMEI is what make out connection with our network

And IMEI is unique and store in some database that many people have access to confirm the exact model number.  So, they said they don't know, i think just the agent himself not know LoL

@smp99 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

How would they know if your device supports VoLTE?

Any database will be missing some devices and possibly have some errors, but you can start by checking compatibility at:  https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

Let me rephrase the question

How would PM be able to determine what device I have to tell me in a text that my device supports VoLTE?

@smp99 , that was my thoughts also since some CSA’s are telling customers that they have no way of knowing & a generic message is sent out. Well, that generic message says to Customers that your device supports it & to some Customers that generic messages says doesn’t support it. Conflicting information! So, that makes no sense what the CSA’s say! 🤣

@popping wrote:

@hycm53 wrote:

@Debby1 wrote:

I got this message too.  When I followed the link it explained what VoLTE was (which I still don’t understand), but not how to update my settings.  I have an iPhone 11.  Can anyone explain to me what I have to do to update my settings and why I should care about VoLTE?

Thanks.

Goes to settings>Cellular>Cellular Data Options>Voice & Data, then enable LTE or VoLTE. 

PM have not updated the iPhone settings to show the extra line to enable/Disable VoLTE feature.

Therefore, there is no indication of VoLTE is enabled or not.  But there is a work around.

The top right of the iPhone notification bar shows the mobile signal bar and the signal that you are using.
1.  If the wifi is enabled, it will show the wifi icon on the right of the signal bar icon.
2.  If the wifi is disabled, it will display LTE or 3G icon. depending on what your iPhone is using in realtime.
The wifi icon cannot be overridden by the LTE or 3G icons.

To determine whether your VoLTE is enable or not, disable wifi first. LTE icon will be shown.
Make a call. If the LTE icon changes to 3G, you iPhone VoLTE is not activated yet.

Good luck.

@popping , I forgot to add the part about disabling wifi while on calls to check that calls stay on LTE & don't drop to 3G! Thanks for adding that I forgot to! Important step! I know it does that but forgot to add that on the message I posted! 🤣

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

Any database will be missing some devices and possibly have some errors, but you can start by checking compatibility at:  https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

Let me rephrase the question

How would PM be able to determine what device I have to tell me in a text that my device supports VoLTE?

@popping wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

@Debby1 wrote:

I got this message too.  When I followed the link it explained what VoLTE was (which I still don’t understand), but not how to update my settings.  I have an iPhone 11.  Can anyone explain to me what I have to do to update my settings and why I should care about VoLTE?

Thanks.

@Debby1 , I updated my iPhone software to 16.4 newest upate, I reset network settings, with phone off I removed my SIM card from phone for 5 minutes then put it back in & turned phone on. Made sure the cellular options is set to voice & data LTE. Now when making calls they stay on LTE (don’t drop to 3G) & calls connected instantly, no going straight to voicemail.

After updated to iOS 16.4, if your iPhone supports 5G, it will default to 5G.  To prevent your phone continue to look for 5G mobile signal which will drain your battery.  Switch it to LTE.

@popping , after updating mine to 16.4 it was still on LTE! It didn't switch to 5G! It also has 5G auto (uses 5G only when needed for performance while optimizing battery life. I kept mine on LTE though since PM doesn’t have 5G.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hycm53 wrote:

@Debby1 wrote:

Thanks.

Goes to settings>Cellular>Cellular Data Options>Voice & Data, then enable LTE or VoLTE. 

PM have not updated the iPhone settings to show the extra line to enable/Disable VoLTE feature.

Therefore, there is no indication of VoLTE is enabled or not.  But there is a work around.

The top right of the iPhone notification bar shows the mobile signal bar and the signal that you are using.
1.  If the wifi is enabled, it will show the wifi icon on the right of the signal bar icon.
2.  If the wifi is disabled, it will display LTE or 3G icon. depending on what your iPhone is using in realtime.
The wifi icon cannot be overridden by the LTE or 3G icons.

To determine whether your VoLTE is enable or not, disable wifi first. LTE icon will be shown.
Make a call. If the LTE icon changes to 3G, you iPhone VoLTE is not activated yet.

Good luck.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@LitlLdy wrote:

@Debby1 wrote:

Thanks.

@Debby1 , I updated my iPhone software to 16.4 newest upate, I reset network settings, with phone off I removed my SIM card from phone for 5 minutes then put it back in & turned phone on. Made sure the cellular options is set to voice & data LTE. Now when making calls they stay on LTE (don’t drop to 3G) & calls connected instantly, no going straight to voicemail.

After updated to iOS 16.4, if your iPhone supports 5G, it will default to 5G.  To prevent your phone continue to look for 5G mobile signal which will drain your battery.  Switch it to LTE.

@Debby1 wrote:

Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to add that turning off WiFi before making a call will let you see at the top of your screen if it stays on LTE while on a call or drops to 3G!

@smp99 wrote:

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Also, @Debby1 , I believe it has been suggested previously that rebooting your phone may enable the settings on your device.

I don’t know if this is accurate as I have not yet received the text.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You will care about volte as more 3G/UMTS gets mothballed. Or for talk roaming in the US.

@Debby1 wrote:

Thanks.

Debby1

Thanks.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Awesome @hycm53 

I didn’t yet, but I’m sure we will be over the next few weeks

Need Help? Let's chat.