cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using another SIM card from another carrier temporarily without cancelling my Public Mobile account

opium911
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I initially purchased a smartphone directly from the manufacturer himself which is Samsung in 2019.

The smartphone was brand new and it was unlocked because it was not attached to any carrier.

I am currently subscribed with Public Mobile with the Public Mobile SIM card.

I would like to go to Mexico for 10 days and the only company that offers coverage to talk from and to Canada/US/Mexico is AT&T.

So therefore my plan is to remove the Public Mobile SIM card and install the other new SIM card from AT&T temporarily for those 10 days and when I come back after the travel I put back the Public Mobile SIM card and all of that without touching or cancelling my Public Mobile account.

My worries are:

1) First of all, will this work without any problems?

2) Do I need to tell Public Mobile first before using the other SIM card from AT&T?

3) Any worries or any other procedures I should be aware of regarding this procedure?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@opium911 

It is all good and you don't need to notify anyone. Just think your SIM as your account and everything is linked to the SIM.

Same as for your AT&T SIM but remember to click on AT&T cellular network while in Mexico.

The only suggestion is to keep your PM SIM in a zip lock bag so you won't loss the nano size SIM while in Mexico.

Yes you are good but as @will13am states some ppl have reported coming back from Europe, Mexico, etc etc and put their sim back in and couldn't get the network up and running. So you may have to do that network reset

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@opium911 , there should be no problems using the phone with a different service by switching SIM cards temporarily.  You might need to do a network reset between SIM swaps if there are connectivity issues.  Otherwise, things should be very straightforward.  Enjoy the trip.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@opium911   

1. It will work.  Your phone is unlocked.  Just need the make sure the frequencies and bands on your phone will work in Mexico

2. No need to tell.  PM is BYOD and they don't really care

3.  I don't see ay problem with that at all  Many people do similar thing when travel

Need Help? Let's chat.