cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Public Mobile to tether my Xbox Console.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just moved, and don't have home intenet setup until next week. Last night I was trying to play GamePass on my Xbox console by tethering it with my phone and using Public Mobile internet. Is there a specific setting I should be changing on my console or phone to get this to work right, because when I did do this, the game started up, but the gameplay was very stuttery, and in many cases the console disconnected from the service.

23 REPLIES 23

JL9
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That is the 3G aspect I believe. There are certain thingsni used to be able to do with my phone on Koodo 4G that PM are either slow or laggy like you said. The basics work fine  I'm guessing gaming would be one of those. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @WoozyPolarBear   try both 3G ONLY and LTE.  

3G could have higher speed but higher latency, so it has its pros and cons

And check your APN, some needs this for APN type :

default,supl,mms,dun 

dust2dust

You could try the 3G data connection. Set the networks on the phone to 3G only (or WCDMA, UMTS, HSPA).

You will likely suck down a lot of data playing games.

WoozyPolarBear

I only have the $15 plan with 250 MB, and just realized that was why the console discconnected. My month just started, and in less than 1 minute my data got used up playing on the console. I did think that they just slowed down the speed after reaching your high speed data allotment though. But in my case, data has been completely cut off.

PM doesn't offer slow speed data after using up your plan allotment.  Data will just stop unless you purchase extra add-on data or upgrade plans.  Maybe you're thinking of some of the other carriers who offer data at very slow speeds once you've used up the available data in the plan?

@dabr wrote:

PM doesn't offer slow speed data after using up your plan allotment.  Data will just stop unless you purchase extra add-on data or upgrade plans.  Maybe you're thinking of some of the other carriers who offer data at very slow speeds once you've used up what's in the plan?

@WoozyPolarBear 

Even if Public Mobile did have unlimited data (which they don't), game play with be really bad unless you're playing some 1995 DOS-based game. Your game won't be usable/playable.

WoozyPolarBear

I was thinking that we got 512 kpps of data after using up the monthly high speed data. I now have 28 days to go with no data this month, which sucks while I also have no home internet, as now I only have wifi access at work.

HI @WoozyPolarBear   tethering is a bad idea if you don't have lots of data.  And with gaming console,  you can easily used them up even you have 10GB.  LoL

WoozyPolarBear

No, I was trying to play Halo Infinite and Flight Simulator, both are modern games.