cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Public Mobile to tether my Xbox Console.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just moved, and don't have home intenet setup until next week. Last night I was trying to play GamePass on my Xbox console by tethering it with my phone and using Public Mobile internet. Is there a specific setting I should be changing on my console or phone to get this to work right, because when I did do this, the game started up, but the gameplay was very stuttery, and in many cases the console disconnected from the service.

23 REPLIES 23

@LeePublic wrote:

What I would do is sign up for one of the Big Three Unlimited Plans.

The Big 3 plans do serve a purpose for those wanting more data and at faster speeds. There are also sometimes offers, especially for those switching from other carriers that are quite competitive.  However, I wouldn't suggest changing carriers only because of an 8-day wait to get home intenret activated.  This still would not get around the fact that such Big 3 plans are not well-suited to be used as home internet replacement.  Also, if the number is ported out from Public Mobile, answer rewrads would be lost if the customer decides to port back.

@LeePublic wrote:

Is there really unlimited data plans offered by the big three?  I thought unlimited was still restricted to one terabyte, but maybe some offer more than that..

edit:  and that's only for internet usage AFAIA..

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

WoozyPolarBear

I really wish home internet providers would let us setup our own internet connection. It's frustrating to wait for a installer to come on their schedule, when I have wired up ethernet and home networks before on my own.

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

My phone is 5G, and Samsung says it gets about 2 Gbps, which is way faster than my home internet used to be, so I thought it would work for gaming. Oh well. When I was doing this, I was only thinking about the speed aspect of it, and completely forgot about my data bucket being a limiting factor.

HI @WoozyPolarBear   your phone is 5G, but it only deliver 5G speed if your network has it, sadly not PM

and if we have 5G, instead of 5 mins, you might have used up your data in 2 mins or so  🙂

I remember there was a 5G demo in London, UK.  It suddenly not work in the middle of the demo, because it drains all the data allowance in couple minutes  🙂

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

My phone is 5G, and Samsung says it gets about 2 Gbps, which is way faster than my home internet used to be, so I thought it would work for gaming. Oh well. When I was doing this, I was only thinking about the speed aspect of it, and completely forgot about my data bucket being a limiting factor.

Public Mobile's speeds aren't anywhere close to that.  Also, Public Mobile doesn't offer 5g.

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

I looked, and previously I had banked about 4 GB of holiday data, but yes indeed, after just checking, that is now gone too. I only gamed for about 5 minutes too, and it's all gone.

HI@WoozyPolarBear  Tethering require some work to limit the data usage on both the source and the devices joining it.    On phone or laptop , you can set metered network to reduce the usage, but not for gaming consoles

WoozyPolarBear

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

I'm without home internet for about 8 more days. In a typical month of home internet, I would use between 2-3 TB of data...so roughly about 100 GB of data a day. Even if I cut out watching Netflix and Youtube, is there a plan with Public Mobile you could recommend for my use case?

Sorry, but there isn't.  As Ifrom earlier, Public Mobile's plans aren't suitable for this type of use.  The plans cap out at 20.5GB per 30 days and even then, you would not be happy with the speeds for the type of things that you're using it for.

HI @WoozyPolarBear   you are only into your 2 days of the 30 days cycle, I really not suggest you to change plan.  Early renewal for $15 not make sense too.    If 1GB will work for 8 more days, you pay only $15

Unless you want to be crazy a bit and pay $25 or $35 or even more for some more data for one month

WoozyPolarBear

I looked, and previously I had banked about 4 GB of holiday data, but yes indeed, after just checking, that is now gone too. I only gamed for about 5 minutes too, and it's all gone.

WoozyPolarBear

I'm without home internet for about 8 more days. In a typical month of home internet, I would use between 2-3 TB of data...so roughly about 100 GB of data a day. Even if I cut out watching Netflix and Youtube, is there a plan with Public Mobile you could recommend for my use case?

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

I was thinking that we got 512 kpps of data after using up the monthly high speed data. I now have 28 days to go with no data this month, which sucks while I also have no home internet, as now I only have wifi access at work.

HI @WoozyPolarBear   Don't you have some Holiday data bonus?  The XBox might have used those as well

you still have 28 days, maybe pay $15 for 1GB?

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

I was thinking that we got 512 kpps of data after using up the monthly high speed data. I now have 28 days to go with no data this month, which sucks while I also have no home internet, as now I only have wifi access at work.

Public Mobile's price plans are inadequate to use a home internet replacement. You do have the choice of buying add-ons or changing yoru plan, but expectations need to be set accordingly.  For you're trying to currently do with it, it's wouldn't be a good usage experience.

WoozyPolarBear

No, I was trying to play Halo Infinite and Flight Simulator, both are modern games.

HI @WoozyPolarBear   tethering is a bad idea if you don't have lots of data.  And with gaming console,  you can easily used them up even you have 10GB.  LoL

WoozyPolarBear

@dabr wrote:

PM doesn't offer slow speed data after using up your plan allotment.  Data will just stop unless you purchase extra add-on data or upgrade plans.  Maybe you're thinking of some of the other carriers who offer data at very slow speeds once you've used up what's in the plan?

@WoozyPolarBear 

Even if Public Mobile did have unlimited data (which they don't), game play with be really bad unless you're playing some 1995 DOS-based game. Your game won't be usable/playable.

PM doesn't offer slow speed data after using up your plan allotment.  Data will just stop unless you purchase extra add-on data or upgrade plans.  Maybe you're thinking of some of the other carriers who offer data at very slow speeds once you've used up the available data in the plan?

WoozyPolarBear

I only have the $15 plan with 250 MB, and just realized that was why the console discconnected. My month just started, and in less than 1 minute my data got used up playing on the console. I did think that they just slowed down the speed after reaching your high speed data allotment though. But in my case, data has been completely cut off.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You could try the 3G data connection. Set the networks on the phone to 3G only (or WCDMA, UMTS, HSPA).

You will likely suck down a lot of data playing games.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @WoozyPolarBear   try both 3G ONLY and LTE.  

3G could have higher speed but higher latency, so it has its pros and cons

And check your APN, some needs this for APN type :

default,supl,mms,dun 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

That is the 3G aspect I believe. There are certain thingsni used to be able to do with my phone on Koodo 4G that PM are either slow or laggy like you said. The basics work fine  I'm guessing gaming would be one of those. 

Need Help? Let's chat.