cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttled Speeds ”Excessive Use”

FlankSinatra
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

TL; DR When going over my plan and using throttled data, will I get charged on my next bill even though it’s “unlimited”. I realize I could be kicked off Public Mobile after “Excessive Use” as per the terms of service where it says because I would be slowing down other users. Will be using 360p or 480p next time watching streams.

So… I blew through 60 gb on Twitch using high res viewing. Derp mistake as I saw on Reddit it’s 5MB/sec for 1080p @60fps. Friend said, “Hey watch me stream”. So I did while at work and on a game chat app at the same time at max res, 2160/4k? Idk it looked good and I’m on an older 2018 iPhone XR

Always had smaller 1 GB or so plans for years with PM as I worked indoors, was always busy there and used Wifi at work on breaks or in public places when commuting or shopping.

Now that I work “outdoors” in a work truck, I BLEW through 60gb in like 5 or so 12hr shifts. I was shocked until doing research. My 20gb was fine with YouTube viewing but I had break intervals and downloaded some at home on wifi. Steam updated a game for 4GB on the laptop! I was annoyed with that. Tethering through a personal hotspot on a console (when home wifi went out) only used 100MB/Hr but not sure what a laptop uses. I don’t watch video on there. 

My long novel texts probably don’t help me when on iMessage, I don’t like that about Apple.

I won’t argue with support and say I didn’t notice. I did what I did!

5 REPLIES 5

@FlankSinatra 

you could also save all the data to a spreadsheet and filter it that way.

To do that, select 60 or 90 days from the pull down, then download every page displayed.

It’s a bit of work, but at least that way you’ll have it all downloaded and you can simply sort it by data.

@FlankSinatra 

do not use the filter option on the page, it does not work (also do not use the download option, it only download couple days of usage)

just scroll through each page without filtering to look for the data entries

@FlankSinatra  yes from my understanding also this is all the information it will show. Very limited information. 

FlankSinatra
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Blew through 60gb only 8 days into my new epic Boxing Day sale plan. Should’ve turned down the Twitch App resolution while watching friends game. I went to check my usage but it only shows calls and small data MB usage for pic sending/receiving to family. There’s options to go back per day but not filter out calls and data unless I’m mistaken. Thanks for the read! 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@FlankSinatra  No PM is pre paid you will. Never  have a surprise bill you can only use what you have already paid for so once you use your regular plan data  bucket up you will be throttled to 512kbps after that until your next renewal date and it will show in your account like this 

Handy1_0-1706183440057.png

Need Help? Let's chat.