cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown call from my phone number

gordonyu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I found in my phone call history that calls were made from my phone# to #778-580-4001.  These calls were not made by me. Please help.

18 REPLIES 18

@gordonyu wrote:

Thanks for your help. But I never ever use voicemail. The minutes for that were used a lot and is getting more and more. That's not acceptable.

Be aware that the call logs in the usage history do not include details on which calls consumed minutes, and which ones didn't. The only way to confirm whether calls actually consumed any of the 100 minutes is to compare the minutes in the "Plan Usage" section of the main page of the "My Account" portal before and after a call. I can confirm however that incoming calls do not consume those minutes, even if they go unanswered and are sent to voicemail. Minutes will only be consumed if you dial in from your cellphone. If you dial in from any other line, ie a landline, minutes will not be consumed that way either. Here is a list of all currently known local voicemail access numbers you can refer to: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-Numbers/...

Secondly, if you would rather people not leave you messages at all, the best way is to enable "Extended Absence Greeting" in your voicemail service. With this enabled, you can disable the ability for callers to leave a message, and record a custom announcement that tells callers you do not accept voicemail messages and to either contact you another way, or try again later.

Here are the steps to do so (thanks to @srlawren from here😞

• dial into your voicemail and log in with your PIN. 
  • In the main menu, press 3 (manage greetings),
  • then 4 (manage extended absence greeting),
  • then 2 (record a new extended absence greeting) and record a message that indicates to your caller you are not accepting messages. 
  • Then press 4 to turn on extended absence
  • Finally, press 5 to disallow anyone to leave you a message.

To return to receiving inbound messages, should you wish to at a later date:

• dial into your voicemail and log in with your PIN. 
  • In the main menu, press 3 (manage greetings),
  • then 4 (manage extended absence greeting),
  • then 4 to turn off your extended absence greeting

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@gordonyu 

This post by our resident voicemail expert @Nezgar  may be of interest to you....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Fun-with-Conditional-Call-forwarding-and-...

You may also find this diagram helpful in your endeavours....ignore the specific arrows and go to the extended absence greeting if thats the solution you choose for your voicemail issue.Screenshot_20210704-005928~2.png

@Chrissyrioux12 wrote:

My mil checks her voicemail twice a day and does not get charged out of her 100 minutes 

Minutes don't get used if calling in using a different phone. Hoowever, calling from the cell phone to listen to the messages absolutely does use minutes.

Chrissyrioux12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My mil checks her voicemail twice a day and does not get charged out of her 100 minutes 

@gordonyu 

Let's try this again.

Those entries on your usage screen, though they are displayed as outgoing calling minutes DO NOT count against your outgoing calling allotement.

When someone calls you, if your phone is off or you don't answer, the system is designed to 'forward' that caller to the local Public Mobile voicemail system.  For some reason, Public Mobile displays that on it's usage screen in a manner that causes folks to 'believe' they made an outgoing call.   

You didn't.

If you do not wish to receive any voicemails, to "disable" your voicemail, dial *004*8080000000#

To reset it back to defaults should you wish to begin receive voicemails again, dial ##004#

Again, people going to the voicemail do not use your minutes. All the activity in and out of your account gets logged in those usage details. The circle and bar diagrams of usage on the main page are what matters.

I do recommend you use the extended absence greeting service that is configurable in the voicemail system and use the option to not take recordings.

gordonyu

Thanks for your help. But I never ever use voicemail. The minutes for that were used a lot and is getting more and more. That's not acceptable.

@gordonyu....

as ...if your plan only has 100 minutes of outgoing calls, checking voicemail does consume some time alright.

Consider getting the $5 / 500 minutes of Canada wide calling add-on. Those add-on minutes will take over if you do go over your regular plan minutes. If you have remaining add-on minutes when regular plan renews, they'll roll over until you do use them up...even if that takes several months or more.

Also, the recent More is Merrier gift of 500 minutes of Int'l calling can also be used for calls to Canada numbers,  once your regular plan minutes have been used up. Treated just like the add-on I've described above.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

People calling in and going to voicemail will not use your limited minutes if you're on the $15 plan.

There is an option called Extended Absence where you can turn off the ability for people to leave a message. But the call will still go there. Some people have used a fake number which would cause the caller to get an error or fast beep which might lead them to think the number is dead. I don't like that option for that reason.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

This is PM voice mail.

Every time You call it or somebody leave a voice mail it will show like that.

gordonyu

Thanks for your help. Yes I do worry about it as I never use voicemail and it's deducting the minutes from my outgoing time. So I really want to avoid it completely.

gordonyu

Thanks for your help. yes I really want to disable it completely. What can I do for this? Thank you

hi @gordonyu you don't use VM but people call you can be forwarded there.  You want to disable it completely?  You cannot really disable it, but there are workarounds 

gordonyu

Thanks for your help. But it seems using my plan usage minutes.

@gordonyu 

This is your PM voicemail box number. To avoid get the time from deducted from your account. Just don’t click on answering your voicemail to see who called and left a message.

I wouldn’t worry about it unless you are on the $15 plan as it will deduct the minutes from your 100 minutes outgoing time.

The other option is to call the number or your phone number from another phone and listen to your messages.

@gordonyu wrote:

Thanks for your help. But I never use voicemail. What should I do for avoiding this? Thanks

There's nothing really to avoid. This is only how Public Mobile records things in their records. These entries aren't only from you checking your for vociemail messages, but also for when people call you but you don't answer.  Ignore the usage entries in your Self Serve account as people leaving messages for you don't use up any of your minutes (unless you use your phone to listen to the messages).

gordonyu

Thanks for your help. But I never use voicemail. What should I do for avoiding this? Thanks

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@gordonyu 

That number shows up when you call your voicemail or calls go to your voicemail.

Need Help? Let's chat.